“People skills need improvement....” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #221 of 662 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: British
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“People skills need improvement....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Last night our annoyingly brief visit to the Plough has to be the strangest most disappointing visit to a pub in twenty odd years of going out. Admittedly the place looks nice and the beer in well presented but irkingly we only got one round in before the oddness that followed. So there we were sat around a table waiting in a half empty room for our friends to arrive, shortly after eight in they walked, just as they said "hello" and were about to sit down the barman barked "we're too busy, come back in twenty minutes" and he promptly frog marched them out the front door and having door locked behind them leaving them the looking agog at us through the front window. Bearing in mind we had three pub and ex pub managers in our group we were kind of shocked by this. Anyway not to worry I thought and trying to overlook this rudeness, I went over to the bar and asked the man if they could come in and sit and wait until he had decided the workload had eased a little, to which his response was a firm "no". I should point out that at this point there were three bar staff and around twenty people in the front bar of whom around eight were waiting patiently to be served. Anyway of course as our friends couldn't come in we then had to leave, which was aided by having the door slammed behind us. Finding our freedom we were greeted by two other groups of people trying to get in, phoning friends inside asking as to what was going on. I tried to explain, an explanation they didn't really believe until one of their friends came out and got locked out to and so it continued. Anyway a bit long winded I know but in summary, on this evidence unless you want the welcome greeting of a verbal slap I wouldn't bother. However I can recommend The Norwich Tap House just up the road where we then had a lovely rest of evening.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Richard

Obviously there is no excuse for this level of poor service and behaviour. I can only apologise to you for the upset this has caused. If you feel inclined to visit the plough again, I would be delighted to buy your group a drink (by way of an apology) but I can completely understand if you if you would rather not as i would feel the same in your situation.

There were some circumstances surrounding this situation which you could not have been aware of. The decision to restrict entry for a short period was taken in the interests of our customers safety. However this in no way excuses or explains the rudeness you suffered and again, for this, I offer my personal apology.

Finally one more apology for the lateness of this reply. We have suffered some minor IT issues that have restricted my access to the content manager pages of TA. For complaints of this magnitude I prefer to respond as soon as possible by email and then in person if i get the chance.

Norwich
“Tiny pub massive beer garden”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Drinks selection is limited
Pretty small inside but outside has a huge beer garden. Ok but not great.

Ok for a pint but I haven't stayed for long

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Little gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Having wondered on from the guest house wanting to kill an hour on a cold night, up pops this inn.
Warm lighting and even warmer open fire with real coal bi heck, as they say int Yorkshire gods country.
I had a cloudy blonde which I think was meant to be like that, but as with most ales darne sauth the head disappears quickly and your left with flat ale. Why can't they brew it like bac ome ! It was tasty though.
Anyway they place was warm and friendly so am sure will be back next time I'm darne sauth oar Watford gap woarkin.
A up
I

• Visited January 2014
Geoff W, Manager at The Plough, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thanks for your feedback. Yes indeed the Blonde Ash is a cloudy, continental style, wheat beer (apologies for you not being advised of this at the time but we cant always tell how much our customers know about us).
We never serve "flat" beer however we do present our beers in the traditional Norfolk way with a small light foamy head.
Again thanks for your comments
Luton, United Kingdom
“Great Little Ale Pub with a fantastic beer garden!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I went here with my brother for a drink (and have previously visited) and have a few good local ales and really good sausage and onion pie! The garden in the summer is sensational to say the least. Very large and spacious. A issue is that it is very small so has limited ales and beers but would recommend a visit if you are an ale drinker!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Many thanks for your kind words
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Excellent, proper pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Try any of the well-kept Grain beers; they're all well worth a go. If you can't decide the informed bar staff will help. The interior is warm and cosy with an open fire and roasting chestnuts which are put on the tables when they're ready. Good for conversation as any quality pub should be. Also, the lighting is clever; not easily noticed. If you like pubs you'll like this.

• Visited December 2013