“River Green” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Norwich, United Kingdom
“River Green”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My daughter ate here earlier in the year and had an enjopyable evening. A couple of friends have "raved" over it , so our curiosity had been spiked ! It matters not to me if it's vegetarian as good food is good food no matter what the ingredients, so we went with an open mind.

First impressions were that the restaurant was very well laid out making good use of the space available and was clean and tidy. Front of house staff were friendly and helpful in a quirky way rather than a sterile well trained insincere way, which probably reflects the "alternative" nature of the restaurant.

The menu had plenty of choice without trying to offer as many dishes as they could squeeze onto a sheet of A4 and a specials board was also available to pick from.

The meal was delivered promptly and the chef and waiting staff seemed very relaxed and unfussed whilst still getting the job done efficiently.

The portions were of a good size and well cooked with imaginative use of the ingredients. We didn't say "Wow this is amazing" as our friends clearly did , but we were impressed by the quality, quantity and price and would happily eat there again (and probably will !) Now don't read this as a negative comment as I feel the restaurant is trying to offer something different in the overall eating experience and they are not aiming at the Michelin food market but trying to give a different atmosphere and food alternative (green credentials proudly worn), delivered in a relaxed and friendly manner and they have certainly achieved that.

Too many restaurants these days are just plastic, characterless conveyerbelt eating places and I would support anybody who tries to break that mould and offer an alternative. "Good on Ya" River Green :-)

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Norwich, United Kingdom
“will be going back very soon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Main was very lovely, filling with fresh ingredients. plenty of choice and nice not to have to think if something may contain meat or not!.
Puddingins a little disapointing compared to the mains.
Service a little slow, we had no starters and the cutlery wasn't take away and noone checked our meal was ok until plates where cleared.

• Visited February 2013
LINCOLN UK
“Great experience even for omnivores”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I have been to this restaurant twice & have had a great meal on both occasions.

The first time I went was with my husband & I have to confess that I didn't realise that it was a vegetarian/vegan restaurant until we saw down. My first thought on reading the menu was "ho hum, I'm in trouble" as my husband is a committed meat eater & here we were at a vegetarian restaurant!! Fortunately my fears were unfounded & we both thoroughly enjoyed the tasty dishes that we had chosen.

The second time, I went with my mum & also had an enjoyable meal.

The service was friendly & efficient on both occasions & the prices reasonable.

My husband has already said that he would love to return to River Green next time we visit Norwich.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Imaginative and delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Five of us had lunch at this restaurant, including my older, meat-eating parents. It was a pleasurable experience from start to finish. The staff were friendly and attentive, the menu was varied and imaginative and the food was excellent. It was well-prepared, creatively presented and my only criticism would be that the portions were perhaps a little too large! Between us, we had a range of menu options are they were all thoroughly enjoyed.

So, fully recommended. Although it is a vegetarian restaurant, non-vegetarians are just as likely to have a pleasurable dining experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Not so good on our second visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

We had a lunch in this cafe in September and it was great. Our last visit was not so good. There was no staff at the door so we walked in to find a free table only to be chased by offended waitresses who gave us scornful looks and gave us a table in a side room, where it was freezing. Although the cafe was half empty we waited ages and shivered all the time. my food was great,my partner was not so lucky-his mushroom burger turned out to be a single flat grilled mushroom stuck inside dry bun, quite ridiculous for the price. So not a nice lunch this time but we will give it another chance,as vegetarian places are hard to find in Norwich.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere