“Fantastic experience” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I visited recently and can honestly say would absolutely return. The staff were very knowledgable, service was great, not to much or to little. Lots of choices of wines which I loved. Have already recommended to lots of my friends and family, keep it up!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Christine M, General Manager at Winepress@wensum, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear FLBNorwich,
Thank you for your recommendations! We are always pleased to read that our guests enjoyed their visit and we hope you come back soon.
pp Christine M

“Girlfriends birthday meal - amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Got recommend this place from a friend to take my girlfriend for a meal and was instantly made to feel welcomed by the staff as soon as we arrived! We both ended up going for the A-la carte menu which included a large range of courses with wine (locally made) suited to accompany each course! Each course was amazing from start to finish! And the atmosphere matched the food! Highly recommend to anyone!

Dear Thomas R,
It is great to read that you both had such a pleasant evening at the Winepress. We hope to welcome you back soon!
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Great service, food and wine all under the same roof.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

Had a lovey meal with the family of 4. We all had the taster menu which was excellent value and the wines were superb. Will definatley go again soon

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Wrighty1969,
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our 5 course tasting menu. We change it every 3 months so there will be a new one for you to try soon.
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Decided to visit the Wine Press for my birthday meal.
The service and welcome from Andrew was friendly and the meal that followed was one of the best meals we have had in a long time.
The chicken and chorizo terrine was very tasty and my partner's wood pigeon starter was also good.
We both went for the lamb which was served pink, just as we like it. The vegetables were all fresh and the presentation was superb.
Not really needing a dessert as we were near full, i chose the pineapple tart tatin because it sounded so delicious. Andrew did advise us it would take 20 minutes as each one was made fresh to order but when it came it was worth the wait. The cheese and biscuits my partner had was a huge serving and he could not finish it!
Andrew's knowledge of the wine menu was second to none. Overall I would recommend the Wine Press and we will be returning when we next visit Norwich.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear 15karen,

I am very glad that you enjoyed your birthday meal here at the Winepress. I will pass on your compliments to Andrew and we look forward to seeing you when you are next in Norwich.
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasant enough but nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Where do I start? There’s nothing “wrong” with the restaurant, it’s just that there is nothing “special” that makes you want to write about it and I don’t really get the “rave” reviews here. The service was very friendly and reasonably efficient; the food was well presented and reasonably tasty. I thought the concept of “40 wines by the glass” was a slight disappointment as the majority of them are nothing special and comprise the usual suspects of for example, Aussie Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Chilean Merlot etc.
I think the main issue for me was the lack of atmosphere. It is set in an old fashioned and slightly “staid” hotel which seems to permeate through to the restaurant. Overall, it’s a nice place to take your old auntie to for lunch, she’d probably love it - I’m not sure your “date” would though!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Christine M, General Manager at Winepress@wensum, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear RtG 100,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the Winepress. I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with the wine list as we are working with a local wine merchant to offer a broad selection of wines. I was also sorry that you found a lack of atmosphere in the restaurant on your visit. The number of diners and therefore the atmosphere does tend to vary quite a lot depending on other things happening in the hotel so perhaps you just caught a quiet night. I hope it has not completely put you off visiting us again.