“Never again” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Alicante, Comunidad Valenciana, Spain
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Arrived in norwich from Spain on a business trip with 3 potential clients.
Soon realised that this hotel caters for a lot of offshore workers and contractors, which wouldn't have been a problem if the staff treated contractors the same as a private booking. On arrival the receptionist assumed we worked offshore and asked "what company"? I explained we were visiting on a private business trip. Once checked in After a 10 minute wait in the empty bar the barmaid arrived and explained she couldn't sell us alcohol depending on what company we were? Again I told the bar maid we were nothing to do with offshore and nor were we contractors. Then came dinner, again, assumed we were contractors, stuck us in the back corner of the restaurant along with 4 tables of contractors away from the public seating area! We hadn't even pulled our seats in and the waitress asked us if we were ready to order? No drinks, hadn't even looked at the menu? At this point we decided to eat downtown to get away from the hotel. On return later in the night we were again questioned about consuming alcohol!! Never again will I stay in this hotel, £115 pppn but not worth half if that! To top it off, the fruit in the morning was wilted, brown, and soggy!! Terrible!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
My Restaurant Manager did report your comments to me the next day; please accept my personal apologies for the indelicate questioning by some members of my team. This is not representative of the level of personal service we seek to achieve and again I am most sorry for that. We have already used your experience in retraining the team members concerned and I am most grateful for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Whitby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Pleasant hotel with good facilities
Decor a bit tired and dated
Enjoyed the pool facilities with 2 children who thought the pool was excellent
Not much outlook hotel in more of an industrial area rather than Norwich city itself

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you found our facilities good and that you enjoyed our Leisure Club. With regards to your comments on the decor; I can confirm that we are currently undergoing a programme of refurbishment which will be an ongoing process throughout the year. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

The Hotel is located on the Norwich ring road within easy walking distance to asda, Mc Donalds and a pub.
It is clean and tidy and the worn out carpets can overlooked, however the staff conduct can not.
They are generally rude and clueless on how to work in a Hotel.
You can expect to hear the staff using very colourful language taking full opportunity to use every known swear word in the English language. And having the kitchen staff banging metal trays together outside the guests rooms at 06:30 while shouting I think everyones f.....awake now which was clearly considered as the height of comedy. A sentiment I did not share after a long flight and a short night.
Waitresses will inturupt while you are speaking to your wife and think nothing of leaning across the table over your food while you are trying to find an edible piece.
Should you dare to complain you will find complete indifference from the staff.
I was surprised to see this Hotel with 3 stars. It is not to European standards even one star would be considered as highly optimistic.
First and last time.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
It is difficult to know where to start with a reply because I absolutely do not recognise this description of my hotel, nor have I ever received a review anything like this. If it is true then I need to apologise unreservedly but would most welcome a personal telephone call from the reviewer.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

My husband and I stayed here over Easter weekend and we had a fantastic stay.
We were welcomed upon arrival and the reception staff were helpful throughout the whole stay.
We stayed in room 78 which was on the 1st floor. The room was modern and clean.
We didnt eat at the hotel as we think that the hotel is quite highly priced however there is a weatherspoons across the road which serves a full english for £5pp.
The hotel has a sauna, jacuzzi, steam room and swimming pool. The swimming pool is small however is great to chill out and relax. Even over Easter the swimming pool was never over crowded.
you can walk into Norwich which takes about 1 hr at most or a taxi is about £8 each way.
The hotel is next to a fairly main road through Norwich however we never found this an issue.
Would highly recommend this hotel and looking forward to our next stay with Mercure Norwich.

Room Tip: room 78 was modern and very clean. over looked a little pretty court yard.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am so pleased that you had a fantastic stay. Your kind comments are very much appreciated and I am delighted that you would recommend us. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Gateshead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

This hotel was more than a little disappointing. Very basic with terrible internet connection. I was here for a work trip and was unable to get even close to a satisfactory level of internet access. I was treated like a nuisance from check in to check out, and treated with similar disdain when I asked for a receipt at the bar.

The room was hot and very dated and the window opened directly onto the car park at the front of the hotel so I was unable to sleep with the window open as I was concerned from a safety perspective. The are surrounding the hotel was not very nice. The bed in my room was past it's best and uncomfortable. I did not eat in the hotel or attend the gym because the whole place did not look clean. Had I had another option I would have checked straight out and gone somewhere else.

My advice is to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Helpful staff and great customer service are more usual comments received from our guests so I sincerely apologise that you did not find this so during your visit. The good news is that our internet connections are being upgraded but again we only receive limited negative feedback regarding bandwidth and speed. I will ensure that my team are fully aware of your comments regarding customer service and I assure you that we will be not be satisfied until 100% guest satisfaction is achieved.
Peterborough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Stayed here on Good Friday with my wife, had a privilege room for two with dinner and breakfast, hotel reception was very friendly and helpful, the brassiere restaurant is lovely and had a great meal, breakfast was ok, same as many chain hotels, pool is small but nice to have a dip,
I personally recommend paying a bit extra and going for the privilege room as the bed was great, free movies.. And little extras which makes a difference
The staff are very helpful and lovely, will happily stay here again

Well done!

Room Tip: Privilege rooms if you can afford to..
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay. Your kind comments about my team and your dinner are greatly appreciated and I am so pleased that you enjoyed the little extras that come with our upgraded privilege rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Norwich.

Been to Mercure Norwich Hotel? Share your experiences!