“Excellent value all round stay” 5 of 5 stars

Mercure Norwich Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   121-131 Boundary Road, Norwich NR3 2BA, England   |
Ranked #26 of 49 Hotels in Norwich
Peterborough
“Excellent value all round stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Stayed here on Good Friday with my wife, had a privilege room for two with dinner and breakfast, hotel reception was very friendly and helpful, the brassiere restaurant is lovely and had a great meal, breakfast was ok, same as many chain hotels, pool is small but nice to have a dip,
I personally recommend paying a bit extra and going for the privilege room as the bed was great, free movies.. And little extras which makes a difference
The staff are very helpful and lovely, will happily stay here again

Well done!

Room Tip: Privilege rooms if you can afford to..
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay. Your kind comments about my team and your dinner are greatly appreciated and I am so pleased that you enjoyed the little extras that come with our upgraded privilege rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Norwich.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I agree with most of the reviews that this is a 3 out of 5. Decent for the price, but I can't understand how this is a 4 star hotel in any way.

Positives first:
Staff are attentive
Room was reasonably quiet for being near a main road
Check in and out were easy
Price was reasonable

Negatives:
Hotel is very tired and worn and needs a makeover
Breakfast is very poor: fruit selection was largely a few badly bruised bananas, porridge had thick, cold skin on top
Gym pretty poor: a few machines broken, paper towel dispenser and sanitiser empty etc
Wifi: advertised as free (which it is) but it resembles wifi from a decade ago. Extremely slow
No hotel information in room about anything (facilities, restaurant, gym etc)
Bath in room a bit stained - didn't fancy having a bath in it
Taxi's always arrived about 15 mins late (may not be hotel's fault).

Not the worst hotel I've stayed in, and a good price. I wont be returning though.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I was however disappointed to read that some aspects of your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincere apologies. I can confirm that we currently undergoing a rolling programme of refurbishment; this will be an ongoing process throughout the year. I can also assure you that I will be taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns on other points raised in your review. Thank you again for your time; your feedback has been most helpful.
Dereham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Last week i took a number of key customers, to the Mercure Norwich Hotel, for a meeting / something to eat. The service was 1st class, as usual and the food in the restaurant was exactly what we wanted (hot, served on time & tasted delicious).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review, I am delighted that your meeting and meal with us was a success and I am so pleased that you found our service 1st class. Thank you again for your time and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Norwich Hotel again in the future.
Fakenham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

We have visited the Mercure on a couple of occasions and always been highly satisfied and this stay was no different. Staff all extremely friendly and helpful. Rooms spacious and comfortable. Ate in the restaurant one night and food was beautiful, great value for money. The choice for breakfast was a pleasant surprise, I'm not a massive fry up fan but that wasn't a problem as there was a large selection of alternatives to choose from ( the eggs Benedict was lovely) All in all another enjoyable stay in Norwich and we will be back very soon

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for your review. It is wonderful when our guests keep coming back and are highly satisfied with their stay each time. Your kind comments about my team, your room and dinner are very much appreciated. Thank you also for your kind comments about our breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

My Wife and I have just returned from a two night stay at Mercure Norwich Hotel.Again great value for the money.Room was clean and spacious,the breakfast and evening meal were of top quality and the service was the same.The pool,sauna and steam room were used many times and again very clean.Short walk up the hill for bus into Norwich,a nice City to visit especially the main Cathedral.Fully recommend this hotel with all the staff being helpful and smiling all the time...

Room Tip: any room is ok.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities. Thank you also for your kind comments about my team. I do hope you will stay with us again next time you visit our beautiful city.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I visited the Mercure saturday 5th to the sunday 6th. Everything ran fine on the saturday night it was when we awoke for our breakfast on sunday that everything was just a disaster. We arrived for breakfast and had to wait for our table for at least 15 minutes while we were continuously being ignored- when we finally sat down we were placed on a dirty table which never got cleaned! I could only assume the lady who served us was in charge as she was in a suit. When we went to get our food there was no juice for me and my husband, we reminded the lady but still no juice. There were no pastries so we went for the hot buffet which was probably more disappointing than having nothing in the first place!
If it wasn't for the young girl who finally took care of us we would have just got up and left!
If this is the sort of management you have for your supposed 4* hotel you need to seriously re-think your whole business.
I have never seen management been so careless, lazy, unattentive and rude before!! Maybe you should re-think completely about your staff and put the people who actually do a good job and work after the people who rely on others to do there own work for them.. Aka.. The management.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, but I was very disappointed to read about your breakfast experience; please allow me to express my sincere apologies. I will of course be taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent a future occurrence. Thank you again for bringing these points to my attention and I can assure you that this is not our normal standard of service!

Been to Mercure Norwich Hotel? Share your experiences!