“Wheelchair friendly” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   121-131 Boundary Road, Norwich NR3 2BA, England   |
Ranked #25 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
“Wheelchair friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed bank holiday weekend with my husband and his parents .. His dad is in a wheelchair and we must of rang 100 hotels before we found this one ... Gemma on reception ( who needs a medal) absolutely went above and beyond the call of duty to accommodate all his needs when I booked over phone ...
The hotel was clean fresh and extremely wheelchair friendly..
We didn't eat here because we were out till late and left early.
Only complaint .. When we checked out (not gemma) they tried to charge us £9 for wifi even tho we choose the £0.00 option .. And they also tried to charge us for a film we weren't in the hotel to have ordered ... But they took them off the bill without me glaring too badly at her ..
I thought it was a bit expensive at £99 per room .. But it was bank holiday .. But I was so pleased to find wheelchair access available I gladly paid it ..
Overall ... Very pleased ... Would stay here again

• Stayed August 2013
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I am so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and that our adapted room suited your father in law. Thank you also for your kind comments about our receptionist Gemma. I am sorry for any mix up with charges to your room, I am glad it was rectified for you. I am delighted that you would stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights. There was some initial confusion about our booking when we arrived however this was resolved and we were each given a complimentary drink at the bar while the staff sorted out our reservation. We had to change rooms between our first and second nights and this was dealt with by the staff perfectly moving our baggage for us and swapping our key-cards over. We could not fault the staff, especially Gemma who was on the front desk, who was extremely helpful and kind. The hotel is extremely clean and well presented. We ate in the restaurant for breakfast and one evening meal as well as a 'pizza/movie' night where we had food delivered to the room. The food was good, especially the breakfast.

My wife was 8 months pregnant and so we asked for a couple of extra pillows. These were brought up to the room for us.

We also swam in the swimming pool which is a good size and was easily accessible and clean.

Overall, we had an extremely enjoyable stay. I don't usually write reviews on tripadvisor, however due to the extremely helpful staff and in particular, Gemma, I felt it necessary to say thank you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review, I am delighted that my team resolved the booking situation quickly and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for your comments about Gemma and the rest of the team, I will pass your lovely feedback on to them. Please accept my best wishes for your 'new arrival' and I hope you will stay with us again next time you are in Norwich.
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife booked the hotel for a two night stay, as we were going to a family wedding held in the hotels banqueting suites. The staff were on the whole very good, cheerful and helpful.
As part of the package we booked an evening meal for the Friday night, the food was at best mediocre, I had to send my main course back as it was inedible, a replacement meal was offered but declined. Contrastingly the food at the wedding was really good. Beverages in the banqueting suite were pretty dire, the beer and some of the wines were off and the soft drinks served from the python were almost water.
It’s the staff which make or break a hotel and in this establishment they did really well, in spite of obvious cost cutting and lack of investment

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for your kind words about my staff, I am delighted that you found them cheerful and helpful. I am also pleased that you enjoyed your meal at the wedding. I was however saddened to read about your disappointing evening meal experience; please allow me to express my sincere apologies. At Mercure we strive to provide a superior experience for all of our guests and your feedback has been very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write this review and I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Norwich.
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed in a "privilege room" which wan't anything more than I would expect from a standard room, the only extra thing was the Nespresso machine; more of a gimmick than anything else! Bar staff were missing in the evening and had to go to reception to get service. The full english was taken in the mock tudor (naff styled) restaurant, and although the variety of items was okay, the hot plate only managed to keep things luke warm, just like the orange juice! As for the meagre selection of fresh fruit.. well the flies put me off that! The plus points; the bed was comfy and the room had air conditioning. I won't be revisiting as there are much better 4 star rated hotels in the Norwich area, although they don't have the view of an industrial estate!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am however saddened that you were so disappointed with your stay with us. I am especially disappointed by your comments about our new privilege rooms as we have had many positive comments from other guests about them (I am pleased however, that you found the bed comfortable). I am very sorry that your stay was not the pleasant one I would have wished for you and I do hope that you will give us another try in the future.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

It's July and my family would like to stay in a hotel with a pool for a night as the children adore swimming. As we planned to be in Norwich, we chose the Mercure hotel in Norwich for our night away.

The room itself was good: everything we needed, including two double beds, so all four of us got a good night's sleep. The air conditioning new addition - was quiet and efficient. The bathroom was spotless and worked well. It seems as though the hotel had been built in the 1970's or thereabouts: the corridors were rather spartan but perfectly clean. The hotel restaurant was a slightly kitsch place for my taste, but offered a decent children's menu. The food itself has some variety and we all had a good - if slightly pricey - meal.

The focus of the visit was the pool and here it was a little disappointing. The pool itself is nice, but isn't terribly big. It was nice for the children (8 and 6) to splash about it, but you'd struggle to do any proper exercise swimming in it. Also if you had several families it could feel a bit crowded. Saying that there was a nice space for toddlers to splash about that makes it good for younger families.

What lets this hotel down is the location. There is very little near the hotel and it is a short drive into Norwich itself. If you have a car and aren't interested in the city centre this is not an issue.

Overall this would be a good hotel for a family who needed accommodation in the area (perhaps going to a wedding) and could use the pool to help children unwind. For a family visit to Norwich itself there may be better options.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and your room was to your liking. I am also pleased that you enjoyed your meal in our restaurant. The location of our hotel is frequently commented on. Although the surrounding area is not picturesque, the hotel is situated on the main outer ring road of Norwich which gives easy access to the Norfolk Broads, our beautiful coastline and other nearby attractions. The city centre itself is just a short drive away, where there is always plenty of activity. The busses run from just across the road from the hotel every 20 minutes, so access is very easy. Thank you again for your helpful feedback and I do hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I stayed here for a week whilst on a course w/c 22 July 2013, unfortunately the hottest week of the year. I had a small, south facing room with a huge window (which only partially opened) and...a fan! With outdoor daytime temperatures around 30c and night time temperatures around 23c, it was like living in an oven and consequently I only used the room when I absolutely had to. Just entering the corridor was like a wall of heat! Sadly the resultant lack of sleep adversely affected my progress on the training course which was held nearby.

I also soon discovered that the price of food and drink was outrageous. A large glass of red wine for £7.40 - pricier than most places in central London - and breakfast was a hefty £13.95. The dinner menu was similarly priced for average food.

The staff were in the main pleasant - no help offered for myself or elderly residents to carry bags upstairs though. One barmaid was quite rude when I asked for my coffee to be brought outside. Talking of outside, there is a very nice garden area but not open to guests as a rule as it's accessed through a function room. Shame.

So beware the claims of air con on the hotel website as it is not in every room! Expect to pay through the nose for food and drink and for the service to be average. Also no wifi for the whole week too.

Overall, even though my accommodation was paid for by my company, I would rather pay for myself and find a better hotel next time.

Room Tip: Ask for one with air con if in summer time.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for your review. Like the rest of Britain we have been struggling with the hot temperatures and whilst 75% of our rooms are air conditioned, inevitably some of our residents will miss out. I have to say that most of my staff were recording similar experiences in their own homes. I do consider our bar prices to be good value, our products excellent and the service of a great 4 star standard. Like yourself, most of our guests will stay on a breakfast inclusive rate and room only guests are always offered to purchase a breakfast at an extra cost of £10.00 on arrival. Thank you for your kind comments about the staff, these are very much appreciated.
Palma de Mallorca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

It was 9 pm and the hotel I had booked turned out to be horrible so we needed somewhere to stay at the last minute. It was a beacon of relief after some hours of stress and worry.
Staff were helpful, the room was very nice for this standard of hotel and the breakfast was superb.
Recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding your room, staff and our buffet breakfast. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Been to Mercure Norwich Hotel? Share your experiences!