“Don't stay in room 24” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 52 hotels in Norwich
Hartlepool
“Don't stay in room 24”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We have just recently spent two nights at this hotel and I must admit after reading the other reviews we have come to the conclusion we were in a different hotel.!!!!!To get to our room which was at the top of the old part, you had to navigate some very steep stairs and the final staircase was unbelievable. The room smelt very damp ( even though a very strong plug in air freshened was being used!!!!) and the ceiling had a rather large damp patch. We reported this to reception because as we thought the damp patch might have recently appeared due to all the rain. The receptionist didn't seem very concerned (we think they already knew the room was damp!!!! ) . We were visiting friends and we coincided our visit with the lord mayors parade so we really were not in our room very long. ( Thankfully). Seriously though this room should not be in until the damp issue has been resolved. Staff were friendly and location good but don't let them put you in room 24!!!!!! Also must mention the heat in this room, the fan was on all night and room still uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Don't be given room 24!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

287 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I have stayed at the Annesley House Hotel on several occasions now as I am booked in there when on business in Norwich. The hotel is ideally situated within walking distance of the town centre and very close to where I need to be in Norwich so ideal!

When I arrived last night the Receptionist was extremely polite and helpful. When she checked me in she acknowledged that I was booked in to a single room and was almost apologetic about it saying for my next stay (which is actually next week), I have been booked in to an Executive Single. She was very thorough with the checking in process and explained and clearly demonstrated how the door locking system worked as it is a relatively new system. She offered to take my bags for me too, although I said I would be fine.

The room itself, even though a single was perfectly adequate with all the amenities required - TV, Tea and Coffee, Iron and clothes pressing facilities, hairdryer, toiletries etc. The bed was comfortable and had two pillows - a soft pillow and a harder pillow as well as some cushions. There was also an extra pillow in the cupboard if required. I also noticed a fan in the cupboard too - in case the room got a little hot. There was a dresser with some hotel information and the bathroom had a robe and towels.

The hotel has been going through a mini refurbishment and each time I stay (about every 6 months) it is refreshing to notice the subtle changes. As mentioned earlier the locking mechanism for the rooms and front door is one of them, and the hotel staff are very good at ensuring guests understand how this works. The rooms are pleasantly decorated and are comfortable, although what I have noticed is the bathrooms have also been improved. In the room I stayed in over the bath there was a new much larger shower head, although it was a little strange as it was plumbed in next to the old hand held shower head which was still there. One thing they haven't changed is the hairdryer in the bathroom - it is quite an old model that sits on the wall and is not that powerful - particularly when you have long hair!

I had dinner in the restaurant and the food was superb - well deserving of the 2 AA rosettes it has recently been awarded. The dining room which is in a conservatory area again has been redecorated with new blinds put in about a year ago now and the garden nicely landscaped.

I had a very good nights sleep and the breakfast in the morning was again of a good standard. There was a choice of a continental style buffet and full English Breakfast. Again the staff were very attentive. Checking out was a smooth process and in order for me to get to where I needed it be it is actually quicker if I use the exit through their back garden to which the staff are happy to escort you to.

This is a great hotel and I always look forward to staying here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Very close to city centre. Rooms very comfortable and well supplied. Staff very friendly. The evening food is excellent - we usually don't bother with the hotel restaurants but decided to try theirs on the last night as the menu looked so good. Owner/manager (?) very enthusiastic answering questions about the menu and the foof was superb

Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

A real gem fantastic stay, very professional and friendly staff, could'nt do enough for us, beautiful hotel very tastefully decorated, whirlpool spa bath in room. Hotel a la carte meals excellent well worth the awarded rosette.

Close to Norwich town centre a 15 minute walk away.

Will definatley be staying here again and again, made our weekend that extra bit special. Thanks Annesley. :)

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

A warm welcome, lovely clean bedroom, good night's sleep , followed by a smashing breakfast. We will return. Thank you!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Stayed here on business. This hotel has some of the friendliest staff I have come across (this was also a feature of another Best Western I stayed at). For the money you pay there are some nice touches in the room such as a bath robe, biscuits, and an ironing board and trouser press - something you don't get in other budget hotels. The hotel is a little way out of the centre but this may be an advantage if you have a car (I travelled by train). If I have a criticism it is that the restaurant is a bit expensive for the quality of food provided. Otherwise excellent. A good choice for tourists and business alike.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

After staying here for one night, I am struggling to find any faults with the hotel.
The room I stayed in was huge, comfortable bed, big TV with a DVD player, great bathroom. All in all I cannot complain about the room one bit.
The hotel itself clearly takes great pride in it's appearance and this is shown by not only being nicely decorated but also the staff being wonderful.
I must have spoken to 4/5 members of staff during my stay and they were all fantastic. Friendly, attentive and always on hand to help. Other hotels would do well employing staff like this hotel.
If you are looking to eat in the hotel there are two menu's. The fine dining menu is fairly pricey but the food did look very nice. I opted for the normal menu and got 3 courses and a drink for £22. The food was really good and this continued through to breakfast which was also of a high standard.
If you require WiFi, it is free in the hotel and I found it to be quick and efficient.

All in all, a fantastic hotel that I really can't fault. A really great stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to BEST WESTERN Annesley House Hotel? Share your experiences!