“The Perfect B&B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Little Willows

You added Little Willows to your Saves list
Little Willows
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Willow Cottage | Nursery Road, Chedgrave,, Norwich NR14 6BF, England   |
Ranked #6 of 79 Norwich B&B and Inns
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“The Perfect B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

* beautiful cottage, decorated with lovely country cottage feel
* very accommodating and friendly host/owner (and dog!) who helped work around our timings of arrival/departure and provides the personal touches that can really make a place special
* immaculately clean
* comfy bed
* easy access
* lots of breakfast options
* have recommended to lots of people already

We stayed for one night for a nearby wedding. Would love to stay there for a full holiday as it was everything I look for in a B&B. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
littlewillows, Owner at Little Willows, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
It was a pleasure meeting you both and thank you for your review. I would be delighted to welcome you back for a longer stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Remember your favourite aunt - how she could be so warm, efficient and helpful? Remember also how she could be over-bearing and intrusive? This pretty guesthouse - an annexe from the main cottage where breakfast is served - was just like that. Lovely gardens and surrounds, landlady was very willing with pub bookings and advice. But rules and signs abound, even in a cosy little room. I was damned for a wet bathroom (the shower is no place for anyone over 6ft3). Landlady - suspicious we had pinched a towel - entered room while we were out at dinner and again, with doggy, on our return. Cold shoulder at breakfast at odds with previous day. A little less judgement and a bit more ease would help both guest and landlady enjoy the weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
littlewillows, Owner at Little Willows, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
What ‘signs and rules’?
There is a card with the room key requesting guests turn the lights off when leaving their room to help me and the environment, a card in the back of the wardrobe advising guests to let me know if they want more hangers, instructions on how to use the television. There is a guest information file in the sitting room containing information on local pubs, restaurants and taxi firms, a description of the facilities in the cottage, the Access Policy and Terms and Conditions.

These guests booked at the last minute and said that they wanted to check in late because they wanted to take advantage of ‘Off Peak’ train fares from London. They were arriving on the 20.51 train with their bicycles and were then riding their bikes from Norwich (9 miles). I explained I had a theatre booking but would rearrange my evening to make sure I was home by 21.45 which was when they said they expected to arrive. I checked Google Maps for suggested routes to Little Willows and advised them on the best, most direct route to take.

They asked me to try and book dinner locally for them. I contacted the manager of The Loddon Swan who said the chef would stay on (dinner is served up to 21.30) provided that their order was in by 21.45. I emailed them the menu and telephone number so that they could let The Loddon Swan know what to prepare. I also gave them the local taxi number so they could arrange transport to and from the pub. They did not arrive at Little Willows until 22.00 and did not get to The Swan until about 22.20. I telephoned The Swan to let them know that the guests had been delayed and were riding their bikes to the Pub.

The next day they asked for suggestions for dinner for that evening and I booked them into The Kings Head, Brooke. I gave them advice on the nicest route to ride their bikes to Bungay and places to eat during the day.

When I went in to clean their room I found the bathroom floor flooded with water and soaking wet towels – must have used them on the floor!. This bathroom has a bath in which one may stand to take a shower. I noted the shower head was pointing directly onto the shower screen which as a consequence had projected the water over the edge of the bath and onto the floor. When replacing the towels I discovered a towel was missing. In discussion later, I requested that they point the shower head away from the shower screen when showering. I also enquired about the missing towel and was told they had taken it with them. I have beach towels available for guests which I would happily have provided. When I went in to turn down their bed, I discovered a filthy towel in the basin. I took it to wash but despite soaking in stain remover, had to subsequently throw it away. I did not go back into the cottage on their return from dinner as by that time I had gone to bed.
I always endeavour to be as accommodating as possible to help all my guests to enjoy their time at Little Willows as is attested to in their many positive and encouraging reviews.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My partner & I enjoyed our stay at Little Willows. We were visiting for a wedding and Sally kindly overlooked the 2-night minimum stay policy to accommodate us for just the one night.

We stayed in the cottage which was beautifully designed and decorated. Would be great if you hired out the whole place (two rooms) as it has a little lounge and kitchen facilities. Our room wasn't huge, but well designed and very clean. The bed was extremely comfortable.

The location was very convenient for us as the reception we were going to was at Hales Hall, just a 10 minute drive away. The B&B would be great for a longer break too, if you’re into roaming the countryside.

Only downside was that timing for breakfast was a little limited - we were given the option of 8am or 8.30am (to fit either side of the other couple staying), which was a little early for us for a Sunday morning the night after a wedding reception! However this was a minor niggle in what was a very nice stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
So pleased that you enjoyed your short stay
I recently had new M&S mattresses installed in both rooms so I was delighted that you found the bed to be 'extremely comfortable'.
I hope to see you back
essenistgut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We have just spent Friday and Saturday night at Little Willows looked after by the charming and funny Sally Leigh and her dog Lola! The room was spotless, the breakfast of many choices faultless, the gardens charming and the chickens friendly. We really enjoyed our stay and if we are ever up in Norfolk again we will certainly book a room. Early booking recommended as she is very busy.
One tip--Sally will give you directions as Nursery Road, where she is, is often not on Sat Nav. Don't forget to take them with you as we did, or you may find yourselves lost!

Room Tip: There are only two double rooms both of exllent quality.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
littlewillows, Owner at Little Willows, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
I am always pleased to receive reviews and yours is much appreciated - thank you.
I hope to welcome you back in the future.
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I had a lovely long weekend with my girlfriend at Little Willows. Everything about this place is beautiful. The room was spotless, the bed was so comfortable, the garden is something out of a magazine and the breakfast was exquisite with several options. Sally looked after us so well, she is a really nice person and she really cares about your stay at her lovely place. I would strongly recommend this place to all. And i will be back as i would love to see this beautiful cottage in the beaming summer and chilly winter.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
So nice to meet you both and good to know you enjoyed your time here. You certainly did your homework and chose two of my favourite places to enjoy the delights of East Anglian food which I know pleased you also.
Dont forget that the whole cottage can be booked for self catering and it would be lovely to see you back for a longer visit.
South Cerney, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Jenny and I stayed for just two nights to attend a wedding in Norwich/reception in Surlingham. The cottage was ideally placed near the main route but is a quiet oasis with a lovely garden and superbly kept accommodation as noted in other reviews, as well as the very welcoming main house (with attendance from Lola and Milly). The breakfasts were excellent and Sally made useful recommendations both for food and visits. Unfortunately we missed out on the pubs she recommended this time but will make up for it later.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
littlewillows, Owner at Little Willows, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
It is always good to receive such lovely reviews and I thank you for taking the time to write yours.
I look forward to welcoming you back
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We spent a lovely weekend at Little Willows and left with a very positive impression of East Anglian hospitality. Sally was so helpful and it really is worth talking to her about your plans to see the area as she has a wealth of local knowledge which really added to the enjoyment of our short break. The accommodation was spotlessly clean, very private and set in lovely gardens. Everything you need is on hand and if like us you are animal lovers you will adore Lola (the dog) and Millie (the cat) and if you are not they will not interfere with your enjoyment of the property. We would not hesitate to recommend a stay at Little Willows.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
littlewillows, Owner at Little Willows, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
What a week-end you had! Not one but two dogs to join your household!! I hope to see the photographs and I'm sorry that I wont see them when you come back to collect them.
You wrote such a lovely review and I can only respond by saying that it was truely a pleasure having you both to stay and I am so glad that you enjoyed your short stay in East Anglia. There is much to see and do here so maybe you will return!!
Many thanks for choosing Little Willows.

Been to Little Willows? Share your experiences!