“Good value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

More of a B&B than a hotel, the Central Hotel is definitely in the "cheap and cheerful" category. My room was VERY basic but very clean and freshly painted in tasteful colours. The carpet was impeccable and the towels were changed every day. The staff was very friendly and the cooked breakfast excellent. On the negative side, if you're in the "annexe" (30 yards dozn the road), there's no wifi. The hotel is also on a busy road: I would bring ear-plugs if you're a light sleeper. All being said though, it's very cheap compared to other hotels or even B&Bs, so the value for money is pretty good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building and away from the road.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Hotel_Management_12, Assistant Manager at Central Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear pajsherratt,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are delighted you found all the staff very friendly and that you enjoyed our breakfast offerings. We are currently in the process of hopefully getting Wi-fi installed in our annexe building to make our guests stay more comfortable.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Norwich.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards

N.Marshall
Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Grantham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Stayed here on Tuesday 28th jan in room 10 as went to watch the football. Didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel but the staff were friendly and we had no problems. Also we were able to come and go as we pleased. Managed to find free parking on the road directly around the corner from the hotel. Didn't experience breakfast as we were too hungover to give it a whirl

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hotel_Management_12, Assistant Manager at Central Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear TripperWils,

Many thanks for leaving a review of our hotel, we are pleased to here that you found all the staff really friendly and that you had no problems with the accomodation.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards
N. Marshall
Assistant Manager
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Me and my partner stayed here for one night. When we checked in, the hotel had a nice relaxing atmosphere and I was optimistic. However, we were shown to room 24 (The Annex) and it was HORRIBLE, which was such a shame.
There was constant noise upstairs at 4am and the door to get into the room was literally just off the street. At night, i kept hearing people outside which was a little bit concerning. There was also 2 other doors in the room, both locked, but I did not know where they led, and who had access to the.
Overall, I did not enjoy my time spent at the Central Hotel and would definitely NOT recommend the annex! It was NOT worth the £70.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in the Annex.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed here one night as went to football match hotel was ok for the money it is very central and near train station don't think I like to stay more than one night but was Ok for the money I had on suite bathroom would not like the shared ones

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was recommended the Central Hotel based on its location and value, and on those points you would be hard pressed to find better. And at £40 for a single room you can't do better. I had a single room with shared bathroom facilities. The bed was very comfortable and a good size for a single.

However I stayed on a Saturday night which must be their busiest time. I must've had particularly bad luck with the fellow guests but the walls were very thin and I could hear what was going on in every room around me and creaking hallway floors as people went to the bathroom woke me up throughout the night. One of the other guests also drunkenly knocked on my door at 1am for a full 15 minutes.

In the morning despite the bathroom being the only toilet and shower on the floor somebody spent a full 45 minutes in there meaning I had to rush to get ready in time for the train. The shower also squealed the whole time which I'm sure would've woken up whoever was next to it.

I understand some of the issues were beyond the hotels control. But it did result in a pretty sleepless and stressful night for me.

To fellow potential guests I would recommend requesting a room on the ground floor to avoid the creaking hallways, but I can't attest to the bathroom facilities or the thickness of the walls!

Room Tip: Avoid upstairs rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

This hotel/b&b was ok for one night, but would never go back unfortunately! We were given a room (number 24) in the 'annex' down the road. The room wasn't ready when we were shown in to it so had to come back 15 mins later. Though it was clean and tidy, it was more like a rented room than a hotel. We felt insecure and unsafe, and our door opened into a dirty back yard. I cannot comment on the other rooms in the main 'hotel' building or the annex, hopefully they are better - but avoid room 24.

Breakfast was also disappointing, food was cold, and the service was disorganised. Because the breakfast room is so small, people were having to share tables with strangers.

Plus points are that staff were polite, and location is good, 2 minutes walk from station and short walk to the town centre.

But definitely not worth the £75 we paid!

• Stayed August 2013
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed over for one night not expecting what I found for the money I payed. This little B&B is clean, quiet and in a great location. I had an en suite room which was perfect for my stay; I did not expect the shower to be so powerful, it was great! I would recommend this little gem to anyone.

Room Tip: I had a room at the rear of the building which was very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Central Hotel? Share your experiences!