“Short but sweet!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 52 hotels in Norwich
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Short but sweet!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed over for one night not expecting what I found for the money I payed. This little B&B is clean, quiet and in a great location. I had an en suite room which was perfect for my stay; I did not expect the shower to be so powerful, it was great! I would recommend this little gem to anyone.

Room Tip: I had a room at the rear of the building which was very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

36 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Have stayed here a few times and always had a good experience. The rooms are basic but clean which is all you need. Not all rooms have an ensuite and the ones that do have adequate facilities. Check in is only until 10pm but that's never been a problem, the staff a very friendly and do anything to accommodate comfort. The location is very good, on the river and only a 5-10 min walk to Tombland, the Norwich lanes and shopping centres etc. Tariff is competitive for the location. Will stay again!

• Stayed May 2013
Runcorn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I arrived mid afternoon to find a queue at check in so the lady letting me in took me into the dining room and asked me to wait there instead of standing in the corridor. (Nice touch) Once I was directed to the recption I booked in quickly as the form was already filled in and I just needed to sign it. Why cannot bigger hotels do this? I was then shown to my room and given instuctions for my stay. Very imformative.

The hotel reminded me of my childhood stay's in North Wales as It was 2 large houses converted into the boarding house although known as the hotel. The room was clean, and comfortable. Unfortunatley I could not sleep with the window open as the room faced onto a busy road. I spent a comfortable stay but my only real complaint was the toilet and shower was at the other end of the corridor so I felt guilty about my nocturnal visits to the loo due to over indulging with liquids. Well I was there for the CAMRA AGM next time I will get an on-suite. Over the three days I enjoyed my breakfast which was both well cooked and filling. As I was out most of the time I did not make full use of the tea making facilities but it was good to have a drink in the morning before breakfast while watching the news and getting ready to go out. All the staff were attentive and jovial so I got the impression nothing would have been too much trouble for them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road even though the front rooms have a view across the river
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed here for three nights, and was pleasantly surprised by how nice this inexpensive B&B was. I had a single en-suite room, that was large, with a good TV and nice shower.
A kettle and coffee and tea was provided, with plenty of sachets for multiple cups.
I was also surprised by nice clean towels every evening.

My slight disappointment was a lumpy mattress, but I was assured that this would be looked at. It was certainly not bad enough to complain about, I mentioned it to the staff as I left.

I did not order breakfast, but the dining room was clean and tidy, and other people's breakfasts looked good.

It's location right by the station suited me very well, and it is about a five minute walk up the hill to the castle.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Tooting
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I spent one night in a twin room here as part of a group. One of our party stayed in a single room in the main building and his room & bathroom were a decent size. The rest of us were sent to the annexe, another building up the road which has been fashioned into some very odd shaped hotel rooms. Our twin was very small with a long hallway leading to a step down to the sleeping area. The bathroom was tiny. As my friend commented you could actually have a shower while sitting on the toilet. The door banged on the corner of one of the beds as there was no room for it to swing open fully. The water was very hot and the temperature did not change when you turned the dial.
As a previous reviewer mentions no shampoo is provided and the towels are definitely in need of replacing. Mine was a very grubby shade of white and my friend's was 'half a towel' - basically a full sized towel torn in half with a frayed edge!
There was a small TV in the room and a travel-sized kettle for making tea & coffee. One of the windows looked directly into the main street below so you need to be careful when drying off (there's not room to do this in the bathroom itself) and getting changed.
There was no wardrobe in the room but instead a couple of hooks on the wall and some plastic hangers as well as a small chest of drawers.
This is really just a functional crash pad. I can't imagine anyone would not want to linger in the room.
We didn't sample breakfast so I can't comment on that but the staff were friendly & helpful enough.
If you need a cheap place to stay near the station with no frills this place will do the job - just remember your shampoo!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building rather than the annexe
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed overnight last weekend. It was just what I needed: close to the station, not too far to walk into town, and breakfast provided in the morning. The room was fine; evidently two rooms had been carved out of one larger one, so it was narrow and high-ceilinged, but not problematic. It was a perishing cold night outside, but the heating in the room was ample to drive it away. I slept very well.

It's worth noting that you should take your own shampoo if you're staying here - a small tablet of soap is provided with the towels, but no other frills.

Breakfast was just what was needed; hearty and hot, and the staff were charming and friendly.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

It's a perfect little hotel on the riverside. From the minute I walked in I felt welcomed into the hotel. I am a hotel manager anyway so I sometimes look at a few things in a lot of depth (sad of me I know) but I couldn't fault the room the staff or even the breakfast in the morning ! If you ever book there by late rooms add the breakfast on because for £4.00 it's great value !!!! Also one of my pet hates it walking into a hotel / the room and it's cold but throughout the hotel it was lovely and warm and cosy !!! To sum this place up in a few words !!! Friendly staff !!! Welcoming!!!! Clean!!!!! And perfect!!!! Don't change a thing guys your doing a perfect job!!!!! Keep it up !!!!

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Central Hotel? Share your experiences!