“Not the Hilton and not the Hilton price5” 4 of 5 stars

The Oaklands Court
89 Yarmouth Road, Norwich NR7 0HH, England   |
Ranked #57 of 79 Norwich B&B and Inns
Heanor, England
“Not the Hilton and not the Hilton price5”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2015

My self, my husband and our 1 year old son stayed in an suite for two night during the week.

The suite has been recently refurbished and was spotlessly clean and well equiped, perfect for the three of us. The suites would benefit from a fridge though (my understanding is they have been removed).

Our son was asleep when house keeping called and the young lady was really nice and helpful, i explained our son was asleep so wouldnt need house keeping so she asked what thing we needed replacing and she would bring them up and leave them outside our door so as not to wake our son.

The carvery food was good although the vegetables were a little too Al dente for my liking. The wait staff were young girls and seem to have little interest in their work, they didnt provide a bad service.

The breakfast was hot, tasty and plentiful. The lady waiting on us was lovely and helpful and is a credit to the hotel.

If you want the Hilton experience this place probably isn't for you but if you are looking for a good hotel I would give it a try.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2014

I was really unsure of what to expect after so many negative reviews but I needn't have worried, this is a lovely little hotel.
We stayed in a suite and I fail to see why anyone could have any complaints. There is a large lounge area with a small kitchen, good sized bedroom with plenty of storage pace and an equally large and well equipped bathroom.
I believe that the hotel has undergone some renovations recently and this has annoyed people, but to be fair, if us travellers want improvements then we need to put up with a bit of inconvenience from time to time and the public areas ARE stunning.
We had breakfast and there was a superb choice; they even made fresh fried eggs for us.
My advice would be to ignore the bad reviews and go with an open mind - you will be pleasantly surprised!
Thank you, Oaklands, I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Book a suite - Separate building away from the hotel with enough room for even the most demanding gu...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Brandon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We have been using the hotel for over 10 years.
How it has gone downhill. They now do weddings, and they seem to tke over the hotel. You have no choice but to listen to the weddings music,
Hotel guests like it or lump it.
We stayed in a lodge, thank goodness we never paid the full price.
The shower ran hot and cold.
I do not like to say it, but never again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dover, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

No aircon and the shower head didn't stay up in position. Poor start. Looking out of my window onto the flat roof outside what I saw was fag butts and more fag butts as far along the flat roof as I could see. The internal door closures didn't seem to work so doors slammed at all hours. The plaice for dinner could have been the wrapping in which it was bought. Nice chips. The receptionists were distracted and the one on duty when I arrived watched me disinterestedly as I carried my heavy bag - walking stick in the other hand - one stair at a time up to the next floor to access my room. I don't think I will be going back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

The hotel was very good although I would wish to make a number of constructive observations at 6 50am I asked the waiter before breakfast to book me a taxi for 815 he confirmed this also a number of guests including me had to request toast although the breakfast was substantial with plenty of variety. On leaving the breakfast area at 720am the receptionist was on reception and had no idea about the taxi which had not been booked she ordered one for 8 15 am so it was a good job I double checked this was on Thursday 27 June. Saying that the hotel is very nice good car parking and I would certainly return.

Room Tip: Room number 1 was very good and quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I visited the Oaklands Court again for a night away with a friend for a girly night. I have stayed at the Oaklands before and really enjoyed my stay so thought it would be a treat. There were a catalogue of little irritations (Including not being left a duvet for the sofa bed, thankfully the heating controls had broken so it was like a sauna so no duvet required) which could have been resolved by a bit of care and attention and giving the staff even basic training. I had always enjoyed the carvery but the veg was left out under the lights for so long that it was dried and unappetising The staff were overstretched with 2weddings going on. The lodges were always a pleasure to stay in but they have not been cared for so are looking tired and don't provide the home away from home they used to. The fridges have been removed "because some broke and we couldn't replace them" it might be a radical idea, maybe buy some. I tried to complain when I left and was told the duty manager was out. I then took the time to email the general manager and he hasn't even had the decency to acknowledge my email, but this goes to reinforce my thought that customer service is the last thing on their mind, just making a quick buck. The price was reasonably low and you really got what you paid for (£110 DBB) sadly I would have preferred to pay more and have a nice time. The lodges were a brilliant bolt hole, but sadly this will me my last visit

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
oxford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This hotel enjoys a good situation near to the river and inside the ring road off set from the Yarmouth Road with a spacious car park. Its problem is that is seems to try and be too many things - a hotel, family style holiday "apartment style rooms" and a wedding venue. In places it is tired and so were some of the staff! Others were delightfully helpful - the young man who carried our suitcases up to a room [a real old fashioned courtesy] and the wonderful staff member who brushed off all the snow from our car.
Rooms varied a lot - and some were very noisy. Ours did have lots of cupboard and drawer space - maybe for a longer stay than we would have wanted. There was a redhat ladies group staying and they certainly had moved roms because of noise, dripping gutters etc. Some maintenance is certainly needed in our room there was loose or missing knobs. However the bedding was crisp and clean and the bed certainly comfortable enough for us The TV was in such a crazy place and small and so my husband could not watch it at all.. I did hear other moans about hard mattresses and having to put a duvet on to of the mattress. I know i encountered some ladies at breakfast who hadnt slept very well. I could imagine that with summer capacity and a wedding going on it might all be too much if you are looking for comfort.
Prices for rooms are quite low - so if you want cheap and cheerful this might suit. The carvery was a real disappointment - quite slow service and when my husband asked for a bit of the meat pie he was told he couldt have it as he already had the pork - and wny two pork joints [gammon and roast pork? cheap and cheerful. The steaks served to the table next to us did look good.
Breakfast is help yourself to everything - we were amongst only six people at the time - I cannot imagine how chaotic it might be if it is busy.
out in the garden at the rear are the apartment style lodges built around the swimming pool - we didnt get a sight of then.
would we stay here again - probably not even for a cheap internet rate.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet one - away from any function
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Oaklands Court? Share your experiences!