“terrible shower but good breakfast.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge

You added Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge to your Saves list
Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Low Lane, Stainton Village, Middlesbrough TS17 9LW, England   |
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Middlesbrough
Redcar,Cleveland, England
“terrible shower but good breakfast.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Got a good price for a double room as we were at a xmas function. We arrived in the afternoon with the intention of going into the pool. Which we did and it made the stay but unfortunately we asked for rooms next to each other and twin beds and we got neither... However we enjoyed the pool etc when we went to get showered it was terrible, a trickle from a badly position showered head. As we were only there for the night you tolerate it. Staff very pleasant but unable to explain why we never got what we requested as the lady that deals with bookings wasn't in till Monday. Our rooms was apparently an updated room I am glad I never stayed in one of the older ones then.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Do not be misled by photos, entrance great, pool great, bar/restaurant great ( all great to look at ) service, nothing a sniper rifle would not sort out.... Now the best bit, my colleague got an ' updated 3 years ago room ' nice enough, not the cleanest though.... I got, well, imagine your dog, an outside working dog, in his kennel with a penn around it, then imagine it not being cleaned for a few days..... This is where I would rather sleep than the room I was given. I have seen dss bedsits in better in better condition.... The place is a scam, I welcome any legal challenges against me, bring them on, I do not mince my words.....the worst of it is, this was my first impression of the area, thank god others around the area proved that this area is actually not a bad place..... Lenny Henry got my money in the end and how the staff laughed when i mentioned the sporting lodge, when I came out there was a cockroach being sick telling me not to go in there! I am still waiting on a refund.... STAY WELL AWAY. As sh##holes go, this is right at the top

Carlisle, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have stayin at the sportin lodge on business for 4 night. When I arrived and the reception staff who checked me in we're very helpful. I went to my room to find no heating and a lot of dirt. There was a thick layer of white dust on most things, all the switches were dirty and the worst thing was the pubic hair on the bathroom floor and in the bath. The towel rail was also covered in a film of white dust.
I don't baith in people's pubic hairs at home why would it be acceptable in a hotel?
I went to the reception and spoke to the duty manager about the lack of heating and was moved to another room. Again this room was just as dirty and run down. Even the lamp shades were hanging off and stained in both and not replaced.
After being told there was no one available to clean the rooms as "they had been cleaned" I checked out and went to a Premier Inn which was clean. The duty manager was not helpful and didn't come to look at the dirt in the rooms.
The thought of getting into a bed at the sporting lodge was scary after seeing the rest of the cleanliness.
The main corridors also needed updating.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on 23rd Nov 2012. It really is a good hotel no real issues with it. Reminds me of Crossroads Motel but a little more up to date. The room was very clean as was the bathroom. It was really comfortable and warm.
We ate in the Restaurant the first night and the food was served really well steak cooked perfectly. A little expensive initially when looking at the menu but well worth it.
Breakfast the first morning was made to order there was loads of choice too. From fresh fruit to cereal to hot food.
The second morning the hot food was served buffet style, don't know why. Either way the food was nicely cooked and fresh. Really relaxed at breakfast no pressure to eat and leave.
The cleaners are great, really chatty and friendly and often get forgotten about. They were lovely.
We drank in the bar both nights it was really relaxed the only thing I would say was it took ages to make a Hot Choc and a latte and get two liqueurs but that was ok as we were there to relax.
Sadly didn't have time to use the pool or gym facilities but it looked nice.
Reception staff were ok and friendly enough when we checked in and out.
We paid £60 per room per night so it was well worth it in fairness. Can't really fault it. Good location pretty close to Middlesborough would go back for sure.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

booked for 6 nights as it looked quite good and it had a pool etc. check in was ok no problems and the staff were very helpful. When I got into the room it had a funny smell and when you look at the carpet you could understand... too many stains to mention. really made me feel dirty and uncomfortable. WiFi very poor, kept dropping off and couldnt get a phone signal. constant rumbling from the generator outside the window. Very poor hotel, in need of an urgent overhaul and deep clean.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel......
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bedford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed at the Teesside Sporting Lodge Inn near Stainton earlier this week.

While the fabric of the place was ok-ish (if a little dated in appearance) it was not a good experience. On visiting the bar I was served a pint of real ale that was very definitely the last of the barrel, being virtually vinegar in taste. I said I'd wait while they fitted a new barrel . . . except they didn't have one.

Following an excellent meal at the local village pub I retired to my room for an early night. As I was about to get into bed I noticed that the mattress looked somewhat lumpy. When I ran my hand over it the springs felt like they were about to burst through the material. The overall effect would have been like sleeping on a metal honeycomb framework, if that makes any sense.

I rang Reception to complain, and was assured that the Duty Manager would come to see me.
Nothing happened! I rang a further 3 times before she eventually put in an appearance, and moved me to another room. It was now much later, so my plan for an early night went straight out of the window.

Breakfast the following morning was, in fairness, very good, though for some reason the lighting in the Restaurant is extremely low, with some tables appearing to be in virtual darkness.

All in all, I would not recommend this place, and was relieved that I was only booked to stay for the one night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Decided to pop into the Sporting Lodge for Sunday Lunch today. When we arrived it seemed quite busy but despite not having a table booked, we were greeted warmly by the girl on the desk who found us a table. It was not in the main restaurant but what looked like an overflow area, which was fine as this was still a nice area.
The service was excellent from all, especially Caroline who served us. Lunch, which is carvery, was a very good standard, and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Would definitely come back again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge? Share your experiences!