“Delicious food, poor venue” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Simply Indian

Simply Indian
25 Tabard Street, London SE1 4LA, England (Southwark)
+44 20 7407 5005
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,007 of 17,879 Restaurants in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Southwark
Description: A South Indian restaurant with bring your own wine and beer. Open for lunch with Thali (platter meals)and dinner at the restaurant + delivery available. Booking in advance is advisable.
“Delicious food, poor venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I went to this restaurant with some former colleagues. The food was delicious and not the usual fayre found in Indian restaurants in the UK. I recommend the chicken liver & heart starter, but Jalfrezi lovers will perhaps be a little disappointed by the offering on that front: it tastes lovely but it doesn't have the usual Jalfrezi bite. Despite that, all-in-all the food deserves 5*, especially at this price level.

Unfortunately, the venue is not so fine: a tiny room with a huge and unsightly aircon unit and no decoration to speak of. Not what they call atmospheric! Hopefully this team will be able to upgrade the venue and provide the same delicacies in nicer surroundings at some point in the future.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

London
“Simply the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have been going to SI for years and have not got around to writing a review. I used to live local and went on a weekly basis and now I have moved but I still commute here as I will not eat anywhere else if I want Indian. It is not worth it becasue I will be disappointed if it is not up to SI standards and frankly, nothing else is.

I moved to London 8 years ago and was appalled by the quality of Indian food sold everywhere and just gave up cos I do not fancy oil drenched over everything and bad quality meats. Then I found SI and that was it.

I have introduced numerous regulars to the restaurant because one you go there you will always return. The price is undeniable but the quality of food is just excellent. My favourite is the Lamb biriani, the kosta chloe, the masala dosa and everyone loves the murg sagrana. I once took my sister here when she was visiting and the next day she said she could not sleep cos she kept waking up thinking how nice her murg sagrana was and wanted more of it. This is a true story.

Literally the best indian in London and I am so, so glad I have discovered this place. I have also been to India and my trip was dedicated to eating and I can assure you that based on this experience, this place is as authentic as it comes.

I love that they have proper table cloths etc too which for the price bracket is unexpected but a nice touch.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Truly authentic indian at extremely reasonable price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Staff were lovely, food is fantastic. We recently moved to a place close to this restaurant and after the meal we had this will definitely become a regular visit for us. We are a couple who were looking for a quiet meal together and this fit the bill perfectly. This place is streaks ahead of the typical 'indian' restaurants that the uk is littered with.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
LOndon
“Good food, value and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Small Indian restaurant with better than average food. Service was pleasant; and a nice touch was a call to mobile as we were drinking at the pub across the road to say that our table was ready.
Very reasonable prices - unlicensed but you can byo.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saint Charles, Missouri
“Most fun eating a meal in London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My wife and 3 adult children found this by using tripadvisor. It seemed quite a ways off the beaten path, but the reviews were great, so we thought to give it a try. We didn't know it was BYO, but there was a very close shop nearby and took just a minute. On arrival we were taken aback by the small size, but we have found these small places have big surprises. GREAT FOOD! We collectively had little knowledge of the offered items, so we all ordered different things. One item just better than the next! When you eat such good food, it makes you feel good. The staff fed off the mood, and though their English was very broken and limited, everyone was just happy. Friendly and courteous. Couldn't help notice there were people standing outside waiting for a table looking forlorn. Will return for sure when we come back to the UK.

• Visited July 2013