“Pricey but great food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Texture

Texture
34 Portman Street, London W1H 7BY, England (Marylebone)
+44 20 7224 0028
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Texture is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #115 of 17,039 Restaurants in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Marylebone
Description: Texture is award winning Michelin starred restaurant and champagne bar created by Agnar Sverrisson and Xavier Rousset. Texture's cuisine style is modern European with Scandinavian influences and focuses on combining and emphasising different consistencies. Sverrisson's roots are demonstrated in the inclusion of ingredients such as Icelandic Cod, Icelandic Lamb from Skagafjordur, Icelandic herbs and Icelandic skyr. The regular tasting menu further showcases Sverrisson's creativity in the kitchen and a set lunch offers unrivalled value. The Texture Champagne Bar welcomes diners for pre-dinner aperitifs or those who want to take advantage of Rousset's extraordinary Champagne and Wine list. Texture's private events space offers an intimate private dining for 16 guests. Additionally, prior to your lunch or dinner booking at the Tolli Room, Texture can offer a wine tasting experience, individually tailored to your event
surrey
“Pricey but great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Our dining experience here was highly enjoyable. Service in the bar (this was early evening) was prompt and attentive. I liked the tables with the built ice bucket in the centre. The meal itself was superb - really interesting and unusual combination of flavours. Dessert was out of this world. A couple of the men in our party took issue with portion size and said they would have preferred less attention to presentation and more meat. A bit on the pretentious side - the explanation of each dish came with lots of words like"snow" and "foam" but altogether very good. Bill for 6 of us including 2 bottles of champagne was nearly £800.

• Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“expensive but high quality food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We visited this restaurant for dinner in a family group. Everything was very good, but it was hard to feel we had value for money. The food was excellent, interesting combinations of flavours, but dare I say it - just a touch pretentious! Calling crushed ice "snow" ......

The service was fine, although the bar waiter struggled a bit with his command of english.

Beautiful restaurant, good food and wine - but I don't think we'd go back again, as it wasn't exceptional enough to warrant the extremely high price we paid for the meal.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Best food I've had for ages”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Chose this restaurant for its proximity to the Fiat showroom a block away, rather than based on any recommendation, so had absolutely no expectations. I doubt this made any difference, but this was the best food I've had for as long as I can remember. Surprising (but excellent) flavours make it a great change from 'normal' cuisine, and the Nordic influences make for some great dishes. Great looking dishes, great tasting dishes. I could have had pretty much any dish from the menu for each course, and tasted about six ordered by our party of three. Norwegian King Crab glavoured with ginger and coconut was perhaps one of the best dishes my wife has ever eaten, and the based on the small taste I was allowed, I'd agree. Dessert of passion fruit soup/basil ice cream and mango was also one of the best ever, almost ordered another one. All in all a fantastic surprise and a future regular venue for me.

Zurich, Switzerland
“Excellent for the most part”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We booked Texture as part of a 4-day London weekend, about a month in advance. It's always an experience to go to Michelin-starred restaurants but with that comes very high expectations. This can be dangerous as it's much easier to be "blown away" by a normal restaurant reaching for new levels vs. a Michelin-starred restaurant that's already at the higher level and is trying to excel on everything they do (and keep their stars). For the most part, Texture met the expectations.

The menu is set up as either a taste menu where you get a lot of small dishes or you can order a-la-carte if you so wish. There is a lot of fish (Nordic heritage of the chef) but even for me as a mostly non-seafood eater there was plenty of things to eat. The tasting menu also has the optional wine-flight where you get wine matched with each dish, for an additional cost of course. We went for the tasting menu + flight, which I find ideal for Michelin restaurants as you get to try all aspects of the restaurant's food and the skills of the chefs, paired with wine that adds even more taste.

The service was flawless and lots of different waiters will see to it that every aspect of stay is perfect. One person will seat you, one will take your order, one will serve you water, one will serve you bread... This of course ensures that you are never short on anything and that with a twitch of your finger someone will be by your side. When one of us went to the bathroom the napkin was folded by two different servers (I had to laugh) but hardly a complaint, more a "wow" than anything. I found the service to be excellent, friendly, and never in your face. The female Sommeiller was particularly good and knew a lot about the wines she served as she could answer tricky questions I had about them.

In between your taste menu you will get additional "mini dishes" that are there to either cleanse your palate or to surprise you. I think we had about 8 or 9 dishes on a set menu of 6. We had the whole range of foods, from fish to meat, to pigeon to vegetarian to dessert, and pretty much everything was excellent. Some minor things didn't quite work, such as the very thin fried cheese and dip (so thin they fell apart well before any dip was on them), and some combination of one dish was a bit odd despite the individual parts being very good. Plate size is very good, almost generous, and by the end we were stuffed. Come hungry!

The wine the sommeiller picked out was perfect with every dish and from regions that might surprise you. We actually thought we got too much wine for the dishes (nearly a full glass every time) and by the end of the night we were quite drunk! This is no negative whatsoever, but I was impressed at the amount of the wine we got. The other Michelin restaurants I've been to usually give you half a glass.

The atmosphere is good and "warm". You're not too far away from other people but you won't be bothered by them unless they happen to be loud. The restaurant is small which is also nice. Location is also good, very central, and despite being on a busy street you won't hear it. Toilets were spotless and nice although you have to leave the restaurant in a way, which may break you out of your mental element.

Prices are high and "value" is hard to set for a Michelin restaurant as it's a personal question and no Michelin star restaurant will be cheap. If it sticks in your memory for a long time, I think value is achieved. In the end I'd say it was a near perfect restaurant visit.

I also ate at Petrus (which is ranked higher, #1 at the time of this writing) and I found Texture to be better than Petrus (and some ingredients that were in season were used at both, such as beetroot). Texture tries for more experimental dishes than Petrus, which may or may not be to your liking. Personally I love experimental food. Price-wise they're about the same although the wine pairing was much more reasonably priced at Texture.

If you can afford it (and I truly mean that, don't let it make a huge dent on your savings), I highly recommend a visit. Book as far in advance as you can.

Durban, South Africa
“Fine dining in London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My hubby and I love to eat at gorgeous restaurants and decided we had to do a michelin starred one whilst in London. Texture made a wonderful change from the mostly french cuisine we had eaten up until then. The venue is very trendy and the service was excellent. My husband loved both his starter and main and reckons the pollack was the most interesting and delicious meal he has ever eaten. Unfortunately he didn't have space for dessert which is a pity as the valrhona chocolate dessert was truly one of the most divine puds I have ever had the pleasure of eating. Whilst the exchange rate was definitely not in our favour, we still enjoyed every moment of our meal.

Visited October 2012