“Good stay but slightly below expectations” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book Early & Save
Ranked #57 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“Good stay but slightly below expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The Andaz is one of my favourite hotel chains. I benchmark my stay here to the Andaz in New York, which is an amazing hotel, so the expectations were very high. Overall, a good hotel, handy location for some purposes, decent staff and service but overall felt a bit below my very high expectations.

What I liked:
- stylish, modern hotel and comfortable rooms
- very convenient for London City purposes, and close to Liverpool St station
- free non-alcoholic mini bar plus snacks and coffee in the lobby, as is typical of Andaz hotels
- nice checkin - quick, efficient and nice to get a welcome drinks
- decent rate for London

What I didn't like:
- noisy bathrooms (you can also hear clearly the plumbing from other rooms)
- my view was very average but I don't think you would stay here for the view anyway
- probably because I compare to the US manner in New York's Andaz, I did find the staff here a little bit indifferent, though not necessarily unhelpful
- felt a bit detached to the rest of the restaurants in the building
- I really liked the free wine in the lobby in other Andaz I have stayed at, but didn't seem to be available here. Staff only mentioned free coffee and waters/juices when asked.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
AndazLiverpoolStreet, General Manager at Andaz Liverpool Street, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for the feedback following your stay with us last month. Whilst I am very pleased that overall you enjoyed the location and the hotel itself, I am sorry that your time with us did not quite meet your expectations based on previous Andaz stays. I apologise for any disturbance caused by the flush system, it is eco-friendly using 80% less water than a regular system but is slightly louder. With reference to the restaurants, whilst all very much part of the hotel, they do have their own individual identities to provide varied experiences for both in-house and external guests. I have of course forwarded your comments through to the relevant teams for their follow-up and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again to show you the high level of service our guests have come to expect when staying with us in London. Best wishes, Arnaud.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I,ve just came back from London ,the hotel was perfect.the location excellent ,the staff was more than helpfull,and the room nice and comfortable.the only think to say as a complain is that breakfast is very expensive and I never try it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
AndazLiverpoolStreet, General Manager at Andaz Liverpool Street, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you very much for the great comments following your recent stay at Andaz Liverpool Street. We really appreciate receiving such positive feedback on both the location and the hotel itself, but most importantly the helpfulness you experienced from our team. In relation to breakfast I am sorry you did not have a chance to try it. In terms of pricing the buffet breakfast in 1901 is very similar to that of other 5 star London hotels, however, as an alternative we do also offer an al a carte breakfast menu in Eastway. We hope to welcome you and your family again soon. Best wishes, Arnaud.
Thessaloniki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Really welcome ambience as you enter the hotel and very friendly way of checking in, as you have a sit and a welcome drink! Everyone is extremelly helpful and the comp drinks and snacks at the Lobby really appreciated! The rooms are very modern and there is complimentary wi fi, local phonecalls and non alcoholic beverages from the mini bar!!!!
The location is also very convenient as the hotel is adjacent to Liverpool st station which means easy transportation to almost everywhere and direct service to Stansted airport. If you want to avoid the tube to central London, there is always bus 23, that passes by every important place and runs 24/7!!!! It's also within walking distance to Spitafield market for unique shopping! I would recommend this hotel for travelers either for business or pleasure!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to share such great comments from your recent stay with us at Andaz Liverpool Street. I was so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your time with us and in particular the great feedback on the team and service they provide. I will be sure to share this review with them. We hope to welcome you again soon. Best wishes for the new year, Arnaud.
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Nice looking hotels with comfortable beds, but somehow not used to pulling back your curtains and looking at a bar guest's laptop, close enough to read what he was working on.
Noisy vacuum pump noise every time you turn on the taps, or flush and can also hear your neighbors doing the same.
I did not find the front desks staff friendly or helpful at all, in fact on checking in, I felt the staff to be very indifferent and do not want to hear requests and brushes you off.
This was the 3rd hotel we stayed on our family trip in London and Edinburgh and the most expensive and by far the one our family all felt was the least favorite.
All hotels we stayed also offered free minibars not only Andaz.
Definitely would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Do not stay on 2nd floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
AndazLiverpoolStreet, General Manager at Andaz Liverpool Street, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback from your December stay with us, although I am very disappointed to read of the issues you experienced. We do have a number of rooms facing into the hotel, however, external view rooms can also be requested. I am so sorry that during your interactions with our team you were not greeted with a helpful and friendly manner, this certainly is not indicative of the usual level of service our guests have come to expect at the hotel. I have forwarded your feedback onto the relevant teams and I can only apologise again. If there is any opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel please do let us know as it would be great to show you what the team and hotel are really made of. Best wishes, Arnaud.
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The Andaz is a modern luxury hotel in a historic building, conveniently located right next to a central, major tube station (Liverpool St. Station), and next to a taxi stand, which makes travelling to any London attraction quick and straightforward. The hotel standard is very good, the atmosphere being both stylish and relaxing. Staff is really nice, professional and very helpful. There are several good restaurants (japanese, british, bistro) as well as a pub and a bar. Rooms have heigh ceilings and are modern and well appointed. Non alcoholic drinks in the minibar are included. I've stayed at the Andaz for the second time now and it will be my London City hotel in the future as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for such a great review following your recent second stay with us. It was great to read how much you enjoy the location and hotel itself, but most importantly thank you for the positive feedback on our team. We wish you a very happy 2013 and look forward to welcoming you back soon on your next London trip. Best wishes, Arnaud.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I found this place quite by accident after being stranded in London for a few days while in transit -- and well, I keep returning! To say the place offers value for money is an understatement. Especially on the weekend when the city crowd departs and the rates go down. The rooms are plush, simple, and comfy. There is an abundance of everything; a deliciously stocked free mini-bar, a full bath full of the best toiletries, plugs, robes, slippers, you name it. But what really put the place over the edge is the service, from check in to the expert room service and valet services. It's hard to find service like that in the UK, but somehow Andaz hit the nail on the head. Not that you'll be spending that much time in your room! It;s smack bang in the middle of London's best neighborhood.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
AndazLiverpoolStreet, General Manager at Andaz Liverpool Street, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you so much for the fantastic review following your most recent stay with us. I am so pleased to read all of your comments and how much you enjoy staying with us ever time but most importantly, I am thrilled to read that our team wins over everything else with the level of service they provide. I will make sure to forward your review to everyone here. The location is certainly also great as we are located just minutes from vibrant the areas of Shoreditch and Spitalfields. Thank you ever so much for your review once again and on behalf of the whole Andaz Team, I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon. Best wishes, Arnaud
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have very little criticism of the Andaz, but I didn't fall in love with it as others seem to have done. The location is great, right on top of Liverpool St station, but I fail to see the advantage for the client in a reception area without a reception desk. The room was nicely designed but ultimately small with no view.Plug sockets and wIfI were good details and the bath / shower were excellent. The mattress and pillows were not to my taste, although there was nothing actually wrong with them. However, it did sound as if someone was in your room whenever there was movement in the corridor or neighbouring rooms, and for the price and reviews I expected more.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing the comments from your December stay with us, we do appreciate the feedback. Whilst I was pleased to read that overall your stay went well I am sorry that the hotel did not quite meet your expectations. The Andaz concept, including the check-in via i-pad, is designed to create a more personalised experience for our guests. Please also accept my apologies for any disturbance you had from neighbouring rooms and external noise. Thank you again and best wishes, Arnaud.

Been to Andaz Liverpool Street? Share your experiences!