“Quirky but great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Food For Thought

Food For Thought
31 Neal Street, London WC2H 9PR, England (Covent Garden)
(020)-7836-9072
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Oxford
“Quirky but great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Busy and crowded, but great tasting vegetarian food. Good value. Was expecting to queue, but we were lucky - no queue at 1:30pm on a Saturday lunch time. But a little later and the queue was quite long. Would definitely go again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, England, United Kingdom
“Great vegetarian food in the heart of Covent Garden”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have been going on and of here for years. The food is always fresh, tasty, wholesome and budget friendly. Yes it does get busy and can get a bit cramped, but there is a very good reason for this, the quality of the lush food, it is not a place for a laid back lunch, you get in, get your food and get out. Its a no fuss type of place, the staff are lovely, and be prepared to share tables with others, you never know who you will meet in there.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London UK
“Need to up their game a little”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Don't get me wrong - I adore this place, I'm a long term veggie and I've been coming here for years. Probably nothing will stop me continuing to eat here - but I think they need to up their game a little, and it's because I care about the place that it makes me mad!

The problem is partly its popularity, but I do think more could be done to supply demand. Not for the first time, I turned up on a recent visit at 18:50 to find they'd sold out of all three main dishes: there was still the usual staples of quiche and salad available, but at ten to seven in an establishment that advertises itself as being open until 20:30, I felt this was pushing the boundaries of acceptable.

I didn't feel comfortable asking whether this was for any exceptional reason: staff are generally rather unapologetic. Perhaps I am enormously demanding, but I do think that having a full complement of dishes up to an hour before closing time is sort of a basic requirement.

I love the food here, it's great value and particularly awesome to get that in the West End. They are most probably a victim of their own success, but as a loyal customer I think more could be done to keep people like me happy - and perhaps to adapt if demand increases. As a veggie, I think you actually have to go above and beyond good service to convince others that vegetarianism is a good thing, and I feel that FFF is letting the side down a little with this general attitude. I prefer places that do their best to include, not exclude a general audience. I also think they need to move with the times and start accepting credit cards. The rest can stay in the 70s and it will still work!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
North Yorkshire
“Tasty wholesome cooking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Excellent wholesome food freshly prepared. Tables are very cramped and during busy times you are likely to share a table with others. The wooden chairs and stools aren't the most comfortable but the food is so good nothing else seems to matter. Food is very rustic and the staff are very friendly and helpful. We make sure we Food For Thought is part of our itinery every time we visit London.

Visited January 2013
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Treasure of a find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Accidently "tripped" into this restaurant. Luckily we were early 12.15 but still had to wait 5 mins for a table. Food was fantastic and plentiful and very good value for money. It's not a place to linger after eating as the queue when we left was right up the stairs and out of the door.
I would recommend it to anyone.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere