“Much Ado for Nothing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Halepi

Halepi
Leinster terrace, London, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )
Improve this listing
Neighborhood: Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate
London, United Kingdom
“Much Ado for Nothing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Despite all the hype I have to say I wasn't amazed at this restaurant at all. The atmosphere is lovely and the food is good, though, for the price you could get much better elsewhere. Our waiter had quite a sarcastic humor and we felt like we were rushed to order and eat quickly so that they can turn our table. We ordered a bottle of white and red Greek house wine and were served a French without even being notified or asked if we were happy with that???!!! When I queried this the waiter said they didn't have any Greek wine - which I doubted as I saw at least three on the menu - adding "anyway the French wine is much nicer". Not sure if I owned a Greek restaurant I would employ staff with such an attitude...
Go and see it for yourself, but we definitely won't go back there!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Just great - always welcoming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Have been here loads of times over the years and returns for the first time in ages in Feb. Always busy (and if full they send you to the pub opposite then come fetch you) and always bustling. The food (Greek all the way through) is big and tasty. There's loads of choice and the meze is amazing. Cost adds up if you go nuts (fish meze plus two bottles if wine) but hey, you only live once. And someone else was paying anyway !!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
paisley, scotland
“Like a Greek Taverna but less room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

As a party of 4 we felt somewhat cramped by the lack of space. However, the food was very good. The Saganaki to start was excellent and at £8 it should be. The lamb I had for my main course was a let down & the Afelia my friends had was disappointing. Space was at a premium - tables were pushed against the wall seats and only brought forward when occupied and that left little room to manouvre. This was described as the best Greek Restaurant outside Greece but Athena in Glasgow is better buts thats my opinion.
I used the toilet and was shocked to find only cold water available at the tap ( hot turned off or not connected) - I hope the staff use one that has hot running water.

Visited January 2013
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“Saturday before Xmas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in close proximity to the Halepi and took a chance they'd have room for us early on the Saturday night before Xmas.

The staff were excellent, the wine was good value and the food was superb - my wife had the sea bass which was simply outstanding.

If you like Greek food, don't want to 'break the bank' but have a good night look no further.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Busy place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Met old friends here for dinner early evening the other Saturday; tables are very close together & there's not much personal space. It's a family-run restaurant & the service is efficient & charming; food was very good indeed but can't comment on value as we were guests. We left around 7pm by which time it was filling up & looked to be getting very busy. Probably a fun place to spend an evening but quite noisy & maybe not the best choice if you're meeting friends for an annual catch-up. Would return to explore the menu further, however.

• Visited December 2012