“over rated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Ivy

The Ivy
1-5 West Street, London WC2H 9NQ, England (Covent Garden)
+44 20 7836 4751
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ivy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #677 of 17,039 Restaurants in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
NW London
“over rated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Went for lunch mid week after reservation made several weeks earlier. I found tables very close to one another and struggled to move it to leave, service was slow and sometimes hard to get attention for a bottle of wine; our waiter was polite but we had to ask him to repeat several times (spoke in low voice and his accent didn't help); the food was not great - Morrocan spice lamb was very bland and although the portion was enormous, the meat was tough; my friends had fish and chips; batter overcooked almost burnt and chips over salted; we commented on this latter point to the head waitress; she said she didn't like food salted either... no apologies.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
uk
“Brilliant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Great food and a great atmosphere!
All the staff are welcoming and attentive.
I had the duck egg on toast to start and the shepherds pie for main.
They were both amazing!
The cocktails are great too!
Personally I don't think the price is too bad, me and my friend had 2 courses, 3 sides, water and 2 cocktails each and it was £113.00 including service charge.
At the end of the day you are eating at a well known place in central London so you expect to pay for it.
I would definetly be visiting The Ivy again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
UK
“I want to go again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

A surprise dinner for my birthday to The Ivy, somewhere I have wanted to go but thought I may be disappointed. There were six of us in our party and whilst the table was just a little small for the size of our party it did not detract from the excellent meal and service we had. Not at all stuffy as I thought it may be but a very, very enjoyable
, interactive set of waiters helped make the meal so enjoyable. We all had something different and had all three courses and coffee all of which was perfect. Whilst we had a two hour dining slot we were not at any time hurried and the gaps between courses were perfect. Even the bill totalled a little less than we had thought so all the better. We will definitely be back as soon as we can.

London
“Everyone must try The Ivy at least once!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I've been a few times and always seen a celeb or two. It was my wife's first time and she was starry-eyed. Great place to take a date, for brownie points. The food is good and service ok - but the main thing is the "I've been there" badge.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Worthing, United Kingdom
“A must just for the experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We won a trip to The Iy following a charity ball, we had a limo from Worthing, West Sussex. On arrival a man, doing a great impression of the controller from Thomas the Tank jumped to open our car doors, he was lovely and made us feel special. On entering a lady took our coats and we were shown to the bar where we had Twinkle cocktails they are a must. There were four of us. The maitr d welcomed us and showed us to our table. It is small and the tables are very close together but don't let that put you off, you go into your own bubble. The food and service we had was fantastic and faultless, they were late bringing out some Melba toast for one of the starters so deducted the whole sweet, without asking and we were not bothered about it being late. Yes it is expensive but the experience is well worth it.

Well worth a visit. Only one celeb spotted!

• Visited March 2013