“Best Indian restaurant ever!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Haandi - Knightsbridge

Haandi - Knightsbridge
7 Cheval Place, London SW3 1HY, England (Kensington and Hyde Park)
+44 (0)20 7823 7373
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Haandi - Knightsbridge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,117 of 16,892 restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian, Halal
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Kensington and Hyde Park
NJ
“Best Indian restaurant ever!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This restaurant made my whole trip. I haven't even had food this good in NYC. Ate here every day once I found it. Thankful an Indian friend named this as the best from her experience living in London. Everyone I was with enjoyed their dishes & great service, we were always welcomed with happy faces & smiles. If you love Indian food this is a must on your London restaurant lists, walking distance from Harrods. I felt the prices were fair for London. Lunch & dinner were both great!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
Cheadle, United Kingdom
“Expensive ! However,,,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I was with my father and we had just come out of Harrods and were looking for somewhere nice to eat,, we noticed this place and decided to go for it,,Like previous reviewer,,,,we also went in through the Brompton Road entrance and almost turned back a few times,,,, because it was a poorly decorated staircase and led down to the basement,, however, we managed to get inside ,, it was very quiet and only one other family there,, it was quite nicely decorated and a waiter came over,,I asked him if it was Halal,, he replied 'yes' politely and seated us,, he presented the menu,, we chose 2 starters and main with garlic and plain naan, along with 2 orange juices. at one side of the restaurant,, behind a glass screen ( which was a nice feature) you could actually see the chefs cooking and preparing food..
After about 10 minutes the waiter came with the chutneys- mint chutney, plum chutney and mango pickle. the rest of the meal followed,
I dont really like to eat Indian food and especially when I'm out I dont like it, but because I was with my father and he wasn't going to eat sandwiches or pizza, I thought I'd go for it this time.. I must say I was really pleasantly surprised, the chicken pieces and seekh kebab starters were really soft and tasty, they weren't over spicy or chilli - as I don't get on well with too many spices!!
The naan were really thin and flavourful,, very well made.
The chicken karahi was cooked beautifully too.. I must say being used to these foods all my life,,, I had never had these foods ,, this good before,,
The food was definitely enough for 2 people,, service was great too.
however,, it was a bit too pricey,, but I feel,, if you can ,,u should splashout sometimes ,, our meal cost around £30 per person.... and it was a "once in while" kind of thing,,, plus its Knightsbridge,,,
we paid about £60 and left via the same entrance,, I would say its a nice place and if I ever came to knightsbridge again,, I would consider coming back to this restaurant... and would recommend to others ..

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stoke
“Try the Chevalier Place entrance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

We were staying at a hotel in Knightsbridge and wanted an Indian meal. After looking on Tripadvisor we booked at the Haandi. We went in through the Brompton Road entrance and nearly turned round. It is down quite a poorly decorated staircase and along a narrow corridor. Once in, what a transformation. We were greeted warmly and escorted to a table straightaway. The restaurant was fairly empty but the service was still first class with two waiters ready to serve drinks and take food orders. They kept returning to fill the wine glasses during the meal even though other diners began to arrive. We decided on a starter each and a main course each but complimentary poppadums arrived as we were waiting a little while as the chef (who you can see working) prepared the starters. My wife had a fairly expensive sea food starter. On reflection we should have shared this as it was both delicious and extensive. My cassava starter was also good but not as nice as the sea food.
Main courses were also delicious. I had lamb on the bone which I would thoroughly recommend.
Total bill for two courses and a bottle of wine came to £84 including service charge which we though was reasonable for central London. What do you do when you have had really good service but have had 12.5% service charge already added?
We wish we had stayed on for a coffee as the service in our hotel when we went back was much worse and very expensive. We left via the Cheval Place entrance which was much more in keeping with the restaurant as a whole.
Thoroughly recommended.

Zurich, Switzerland
“I ordered the lamb vindaloo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

and the waiter looked at my husband (who is English) as if to say, does she know what she is getting into? My husband assured him I did and we shortly had a lovely vindaloo in front of us. It was SO tasty. Very very spicy, although I did make sure to tame the heat with the lovely naan bread, and I would do it again in a heartbeat! Everything was really great about this place and we would definitely go back and recommend to others.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Arlington Heights, Illinois
“Excellent food and value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I have eaten at Haandi perhaps 8-10 times over the past 5 years and it is one of my favorite restaurants in London. It offers excellent quality food, and if you sit close to the open kitchen it is like watching a culinary ballet. Their chicken and vegetarian dishes are particularly good and their naan (especially the garlic version) is outstanding! Some reviewers have commented that their prices are appropriate for the area, as Knightsbridge can be a tad pricey, but I find Haandi to be a much better value for the money than other Indian restaurants in the area. Also, the service is reliable an friendly, never "snooty" - I don't feel like I'm not "cool enough" to eat there, which is the vibe I sometimes get at nearby Amaya.

• Visited January 2013