“AWESOME” 5 of 5 stars
Review of So Hyde Park Hotel

You added So Hyde Park Hotel to your Saves list
So Hyde Park Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23-25 Leinster Square - Bayswater, London W2 4NE, England   |
Ranked #735 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Melbourne, Australia
“AWESOME”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

After reading a few of the horrible reviews I was prepared for the worst. But for the price I paid the hotel exceeded my expectations. Yes, the rooms are tiny, but I didnt come to London to stay in my room. The room was a doublestandard, was fully renovated. The bathroomwas nice and clean and not too small. Our room was always nice and warm even though outside it was snowing and freezing. The bed was big and occupied most of the rooom space, but was comfy and the bedsheets were clean. The room also had a small kitchenette which was very concenient as we cooked most of our meals at the hotel trying to save a few pounds for oxford street shopping. Overall the room was great, the only minus is the size, I was able to make tea not standing up from the bed.

Staff very nice and helpful, gave us an adapter for my laptop. A big surprise was free wifi, that doesnt work too well during eveningsso we mainly used it in the morning.
The hotel is located a 2 min walk from a shopping centre and street with shops, supermarkets and pharmacies. Another 5 min and you're in kensington gardens. Walk for 30 min and you get to famous Oxford streets for shopping! This was really good as we stayed in London for thefinal week of sales and barely managed to close our suitcase. Walk for 1 hour from hotel to get to piccadilly circus, if you're not too lazy.
Tube stations 5 min from hotel and bus stops really easy to get to main attractions and city centre.
At night can get a bit noisy with everyone coming back from bars but we did not care as most nights we were out too
For the price you pay this is AWESOME!

Room Tip: Do not get basement rooms those are the worst and disgusting!!!!We saw a few people complaining abou...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Finnish first
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed at the Hyde Park Hotel back in December 2012. I'll be moving to Bayswater shortly and needed somewhere, for want of a better phrase, to crash whilst I was having a mosey around. The HP Hotel was cheap and cheerful.

Reception were pleasant, the hotel was clean, and there was a sofa in the small "lobby". The ensuite room was compact - double bed, wardrobe, flat screen TV, phone, and a kitchen sink, kettle, mini fridge (with mini bar) and hob, complete with a scenic view of... a car park. Hey, we can't all have the front-facing view.

The bathroom was very small, with a shower (with complicated folding-in-towards-you concertina doors), sink, and toilet (natch). I don't know why you would want to swing a cat but, in short, it was too small to swing a toilet roll. Of course, this is London, and space is money. I did admire them for how they'd best fitted everything in, though if you are a generously-proportioned human being, you probably would need assistance extricating yourself from the shower. No exaggeration.

There were no little touches like the usual toiletries that everyone pinches but never admits to, which was a little disappointing as even the no-frills places can spare us plebs a freebie mini bar of soap.

It was a nice little room, but would be better suited to someone enjoying an action-packed weekend, i.e. someone who does not intend to spend a lot of time in the room. That being said, I like my space so that could just be me.

Bayswater is a fantastic area, and one major draw about this hotel is its fantastic location. Bayswater station is around the corner, Kensington Palace Gardens are a hop, skip, and a jump away, Portobello Road is... well, down the road, and you have all manner of pubs, bars, and restaurants on your doorstep. All major tourist attractions are literally minutes away on the tube.

The hotel were kind enough to mind our bags for us (locked away) whilst we went gallavanting, and I have no gripes about the staff, who were lovely.

Whilst my review is a bit of a mixed bag, I thought it was a fair price. I paid £150 for two nights. Split between the two of you at just shy of £40 a night, I didn't think that was too bad.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The plusses: clean, friendly and helpful staff. They got us a cab at four in the morning. Cost 17 pounds to go Victoria Coach station, for those coming from stanstead airport. They handed out free umbrellas. Enough restaurants and supermarkts around

minusses: Slow internet, thin walls and creaky wooden floors which is defintely a minus for light sleepers, breakfast was so so and was served in the room. Just one chair so we had to sit on the bed to eat our cereals

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Whilst booking it looked a nice hotel and it stated parking facilities.

On check in I was informed that there was a £20 charge for such even though it is not stipulated on the website.

The manner of the receptionist was very poor, patronising to say the least and even though neither of us was in the right she would not take the fact it still did not mention anything about charges for parking.

This shoulder shrugged person was in a win win as directly outside is the choice of park safely or get a ticket (no doubt they phone the warden if you do not pay to use their facilities around the back)

That's not it...continental breakfast as a charge of £20 extra came to the room and consisted of 2 croissants, breakfast jams (no choice) two kids carton of juice (no choice) and two kid pack corn flake boxes...

I mean really that must have taken some effort and thought. A breakfast that would cost £4 in total in the shop!!

Would I stay again the answer is fair to say No....advise people to think first as there are some nice hotels within that area, for less and with better services!!!

• Stayed December 2012
este
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I have stayed at the Hyde Park Hotel for one night recently and they gave me a room in the basement.
I cannot describe how dirty this place was and I have complained with my travel agency for letting me have this experience. They told me it wasn't cheap at all and they trusted their network of hotels and that they couldn't believe it was so crap.
Only when they saw the pictures I took did they realize I wasn't joking.

My room had two beds but everything was so naively gross... stains everywhere... even a bottle of detergent on the "kitchen" oven.

Please stay away from this place or at least if you unlucky enogh to bump into it don't go to the -1 floor rooms.

Ah, even the wireless internet wasn't working. The receptionist was more aware of her own business than to listen to my questions and finally, last but not least, I have had a horror-movie breakfast taken directly to the room. Totally inedible.

Make yourself a favor. Don't come here!

Room Tip: Read the review and you'll understand.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bremen, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This hotel was a pleasant surprise. Liked the area between Bayswater and Notting Hill. A number of restaurants an cafees nearby and good shopping in Queensway. Staff were nice and helpfull. The rooms are small as in most London hotels, but beds were good and floors were wooden, not dirty carpets like in most London-hotels. WIFI worked OK and was free. Hotel is quite near Bayswater and Queensway underground stations and Whiteleys shopping Centre. Did not have breakfast at the hotel, but at a Bagels round the corner. Portobello Road with its colourfull street market was less than 10 minutes walk away as was a nice pub on a square up the road to the right. I will be back here - this place is well run and in a safe district of London.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Meath
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights last weekend, Was a bit concerned going given the reviews on trip advisor but have to say was quite suprised. The girl at check in was nice, our room was in a building 2 doors down. Very nice room and the bathroom was lovely. Very quiet location. Breakfast of warm croissants and ceral delivered to the room at exactly the time requested both mornings. Yes the room was small but for the price was good. Very clean also. Didn't have much to do with the reception staff but found there were helpful with any questions and check out only took a few minutes.
Less than a 10 minute to Bayswater and Queensway tube stations, great selection of pubs and restaurants just around the corner, and very near Hyde Park.
I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to So Hyde Park Hotel? Share your experiences!