“One of the authentic taste on Edgware Road” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shishawi

Shishawi
51-53 Edgware Rd, London W2 2HZ, England (Marylebone)
Improve this listing
Ranked #12,906 of 18,011 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Marylebone
richierichworld
“One of the authentic taste on Edgware Road”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Our visit the this particular restaurant wasn't planned. Our initial plan was to visit Edgware's most famous and one of many chained restaurant. However, as most of them were busy we restaurant hopped checking availability for group of 10. Shishawi had space (luckily), the decor very traditional Egyptian and not Lebanese. Comfortable and cozy sitting space. They had huge telly for entertainment and I'm sure they did do belly dancing nights. However, moving on to the food, our orders had their delicious mezzes, cold and hot starters, mains with rice and fish and ended with traditional desserts.

I can safely say that it's one of the best restaurant to sample middle eastern food. Whilst I can talk highly about the food I can't say the same for their service or attention to their customers.

Perhaps it's the relaxed middle eastern attitude that influenced their service.

Importantly would I come back? Definitely.

Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Languorous service, but worth the wait.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

This place doesn't look great from the outside with stainless steel table-tops that resemble the counter of a kebab shop, but the table tops conceal radiators which make smoking outside even in December a cosy experience. Of course, sitting outside means you will occasionally be pestered by people selling roses (for the beautiful lady) or pirated DVDs but that is par for the course along this particular drag. Generally, I am more interested in the food than the presence of luxurious surroundings.

The menu is best described as being pan-Arabic with dishes from the Gult, the Levant, and of course, Egypt. I am presuming the place is supposed to be nominally Egyptian as there are several Egyptian flags on display and the name itself is a pun on El Fishawi, but none of the waiters were Egyptian.

We ordered between us baba ghanoush, pastries, foul medames, koshari, qozi and the sea bass. More than enough for the three of us and everyone enjoyed their dishes.

Turning to the waiters and the service, contrary to other reviews, they are perfectly friendly but just need a little encouragement to get things moving at times. This is not the place to go if you are in hurry, but if you want to settle in for the evening and have some food, tea and shisha, it is perfect.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chester, United Kingdom
“Quite possibly the worst place I ever visited!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Well, it is quite possibly the worst place I have ever been to in my life! The Sheesha was average and needed frequent refreshing but dies soon. The food; I had chicken curry and it was so bad that I was severely food poisoned the very next day and it took about 3 more days to feel better thus ruining my entire London visit. If this was not all, they redefine Customer Service, from the bottom! Literally ZERO! The staff is careless, selfish, mean and with a very negative attitude! Esp one specific whose name I forgot. They hardly can communicate, and after taking my initial order i was told 30 minutes later and after repeated inquiries about it, that what i had ordered had "finished" ! I was starving so was asked to order something else making that disastrous decision of eating that curry there. Moreover, there was hardly enough space to sit (outside) and expect yourself to be sitting almost on a complete stranger while you both try to enjoy your own sheesha. Lol! And the staff will not be helping you at all. I will NEVER go there again and I feel it a lifes mission to make sure that atleast everyone who I know does NOT as well. Thanks!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“a perfect lebanese meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

The food is great, always. Been there many times but writing it down this time. Whilst the service is kind of flaky and you have to wave your hands to get them over, they are quick to take care of whatever you need. The food is excellent so I keep going back, plus there is a nice outdoor space to smoke a Shish pipe if that is of interest. The interior is a bit basic, but thats not really why you go there. You go for the food! And for the lively atmosphere.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“OK staff, poor quality food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Went in a group of 6, out of which 4 of us didn't eat most of our food as it was so bad. The baby chicken was very dry and did not have any seasoning, the lamb was a big let down and the pitta bread tasted like it was several days old. The only good thing was the falafel which was fresh and tasty, oh and the fruit juice - but at £4 a glass you'd expect it to be. Avoid this place until they sort out their food, unless you have no taste buds and more money than sense

• Visited June 2013