“Poor management!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rileys Sports Bar

Rileys Sports Bar
80 Haymarket, London SW1Y 4TE, England (Formerly The Sports Cafe) (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )
+44 20 7930 0393
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rileys Sports Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13,144 of 17,929 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park
“Poor management!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2014 NEW

i have been there with some friends twice.

The last one, a couple of weeks ago and We ordered some appetizers to start and some hot dogs. The waiter came a few minutes after taking the order to let us know they dindn´t have any the most of the things we were asking for. Cool! Can happen! so they made a new order but they dindn´t have it!!!

The waiter was so friendly and polite, he apologized to us many times.
To be honest I think he felt embarrasing telling us there is no that... we are run out of... so... obviously it is not his fault.... Of course the manager never came to speak to us.

The first time happened exactly the same...so I can say that the staff is so nice but this venue doesn´t work because the management is so poor.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Avoid avoid avoid!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2014 NEW

I used to come here regularly when it was called the Sports Bar. We decided to try it out now that it is a Riley's. Immediately regretted it. Here's why:

- Prices are extortionate. Half an hour of pool was £7.50. A bottle of Corona was nearly £6. Even for Central London, that's extreme.
- Staff were rude. One forgot to give me the drinks I had paid for, and then called call me a liar when I asked for them. Luckily his colleague noticed and told him he hadn't done it, and I was begrudgingly given my order, without apology.
- You have to pay a service charge when ordering food, even though you go up to the bar to collect it. What service are you getting for that cost? Already annoyed at being called a liar, I asked for the service charge to be removed (it should be optional) but the staff member refused.
- It's filthy. The women's toilets were truly horrific. Excrement was smeared in the cubicles, and the smell was awful. They haven't been cleaned for a very long time. Myself and another woman who I didn't know were in there for just a few seconds before we decided we didn't really need to go. I reported it to a staff member, who shrugged and said he'd "look into it"
- The signal kept going on one of the TVs, so the screen went black. The staff were too busy watching the other match to care.
- The food was ok, but not great. My hot dog was supposed to have bacon in it but they were clearly too busy to add that. By that time, it wasn't worth arguing about and we left.

I have never been somewhere so bad before and would honestly never return. It's such a shame as the size and the location of the venue gives it so much potential. We just wanted to play some pool, watch the football and have a couple of drinks. But it was a horrible experience from start to finish. Plenty of pubs in the area offer pool tables and sports on TV. I suggest you try there first!!

• Visited December 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Mixed review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2014

We ate here for lunch myself and two friends on a saturday afternoon, there was sports on in the bar and we all had a hot dog and chips and pitchers of beer.

On the positive side, we got a great seat in our own booth with views of the england rugby match, the chips were very nice, the waitress was very friendly and would regularly come around so you never had to wait long for anything and also had a nice relaxed atmosphere in the bar.

On the down side, despite paying so much on food and drink before we even got into the bar we had to pay a fiver each simply because rugby was on despite not knowing if we even watched rugby. In addition to that the security guy who was taking the money basically told me that I was paying for my friends too just because I handed him a 20 pound note without even asking so not a great first impression. The hot dog was £8 each for two small ish hot dogs with a little barbecue sauce on so overpriced even by London standards.

Overall it was ok for watching sports and having some lunch but the experience could so easily have been improved with just small touches and adjustments like not charging 5 pounds entry just to get in!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Killin, United Kingdom
“We won't be back.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2014

A group of us were there last night for the Scotland/Ireland Euro qualifier, so the bar downstairs was packed with both sets of fans all ready for the game to start, about five minutes before the kick-off, the bar changed it over to Romania/Northern Ireland....so there was a bit of a rumpus and we all queried why and apparently there were six NornIron fans who had booked a table on the understanding that this game would be shown.

Everyone then had a mad scramble to get upstairs where they were showing the Sco/Ire game amongst all the pool tables and everyone was scrabbling around trying to find chairs from the pile in the corner.

Absolute shambles, and at a fiver a pint for the pleasure, we won't be back.

Great game and good result though.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2014

Most awful place I've been to. Paid (!!!!) to get in! No where to sit, sent from bar to bar to get a glass of wine. TVs next to each other playing different games so couldn't watch any of them. When standing told to move in. Don't let us pay to get in then if not enough seats. Wouldn't bother coming