“Brilliant venue and service, food a let down” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bistro One Ninety Queen's Gate

Bistro One Ninety Queen's Gate
189-190 Queen's Gate | The Gore Hotel, London SW7 5EX, England (Kensington and Hyde Park)
+44 20 7584 6601
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9,356 of 17,939 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Kensington and Hyde Park
Description: The Bistro has been home to many a celebrated chef and today is no different. This is where our guests come to enjoy excellent food, created from the best ingredients. Our extensive wine list is hand picked, covers all tastes, and stocks rare and fine wines. Bistro One Ninety is the ideal accompaniment to events at Royal Albert hall, the ultimate chic place to start or finish your evening. Pre or post theatre dining menus are available, and last orders are taken until 10.30Pm. Bookings are strongly suggested during key events at The Royal Albert Hall.
London, United Kingdom
“Brilliant venue and service, food a let down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I visited this restaurant with my partner one saturday lunchtime. We were the only ones in the restaurant. We had a few amazing cocktails in the stunning bar area and were shown to our table. The decor was amazing and we felt very priviledged to have the place to ourselves. we ordered a bottle of wine - they'd run out. We ordered a second bottle but the staff couldn't find the key to the wine cellar. We waited 20 minutes before they offered us a different bottle (which was more expensive but they only charged us the same price as the one we'd chosen). By this time the starters we had ordered were cold. What made up for this was the wonderful service. The waiter was extremely friendly and apologetic. My partner ordered a dessert which was quite literally a bar of chocolate with some berry fruits around it. Not quite what we expected for £6! However, all in all I would return to this restaurant - I think they were having a bad day and I did feel sorry for the somolier and waiter who were clearly embarrassed about the vino delays.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Romsey, United Kingdom
“Two different experiences”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I am writing this several months after our last visit as I have just been reminded of the farce that was our pre-theatre supper. My husband and I had visited a year before, stayed the The Gore and had the pre-theatre meal at Bistro One Ninety. It was a lovely experience. The theatre supper was excellent, the staff were friendly and efficient and we enjoyed returning to the restaurant after the performance at the Albert Hall (Swan Lake) for deserts.
Based on this experience we arranged to return to see Kathryn Jenkins at the Royal Albert Hall pre-Christmas 2012. What a difference. The hotel and its staff were even better than before but the same could most definitely not be said for the restaurant.
We had booked our table when we booked the hotel at a time suggested by the receptionist. On arrival we thought, that as we like to chat, that we would be safer bringing our reservation forward by 30 mins. The restaurant manager, a women, felt it was completely unnecessary, but obliged. We should have brought it forward by an hour. The remaining staff were reasonable, but clearly hassled and not able to cope with a full restaurant. We had to wait for nearly an hour for our main course, and were spoken to very rudely by the manager when we asked where our food was as we were going to be late for the show. We bolted our food, which wasn't too bad, but we weren't able to enjoy it as we had to eat so quickly, leave most of it, and run to our seats, arriving out of breath and not at all relaxed.
When we returned after the show for our deserts we felt somewhat unwelcome and quickly retired to the bar.
Perhaps it depends who is on duty on the night you visit. Based on our first visit I did not hesitate to recommend it. Our second visit, with friends, left me feeling embarrassed for making the suggestion. A service charge was added to our hotel bills, sadly my husband and I missed it, but our friends noticed and had it removed.
I would definitely stay at the hotel again, but would be reticent about experiencing a repeat of the appalling service and treatment we had at the hands of the restaurant manager.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Yateley, United Kingdom
“Pre Theatre Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great way to start our evening! Staff were very friendly and most helpful. Amazing room to eat in and the food was excellent and the pre theatre deal is well worth it. Walking distance to the Albert Hall as well.

Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“A hint of 'Fawlty Towers'”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have to admit a begrudging love of this place, having been here several times for lunch. It is smart and in a good location - just a few minutes walk away from the Royal Albert Hall in a part of South Kensington where there is a dearth of good places to eat. The set lunch menu is very good value, and the food generally is well prepared. However the service is comically bad, almost on a 'Fawlty Towers' scale. The staff invariably are approachable and eager to please, but just incompetent. They never seem to know what the soup of the day is, and sometimes when I have ordered, they have come back to say that the item is no longer available. Once, they brought completely the wrong thing to the table, and because I was with a client I was too embarrassed to send it back. It normally takes quite a while for the bill to arrive once requested. My advice would be to go to this restaurant only if you are on a relaxed schedule and with people you know quite well, so that you can sit back and enjoy the ambience and food, and laugh off any of the occasional infelicities committed by the staff.

Oh, and I have to tell my funny story about this place. One time I went, thankfully with an ex-colleague who has a sense of humour. I was told that we were welcome to have lunch, but could we be placed in the far corner as they were filming a celebrity in the restaurant. Fine. It turned out to be Darcey Bussell. We were encouraged to carry on as normal, and not to sit in silence, but halfway through the meal the director came over and told me, in polite but no uncertain terms, that my voice had become noticeably louder and could I pipe down!

Visited January 2013
Croydon, United Kingdom
“Great venue for Royal Albert Hall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We went to the restaurant for a pre-theatre dinner and were very impressed with the set menu. These special offers can very often leave you struggling to find something you really want to eat. We were spoilt for choice - the vegetarian tart, pork terrine, octopus, braised ox cheek, vegetable timbale and pork were all excellent. This restaurant has a really cosy and unimposing atmosphere, while service and execution are top notch. For the style and quality of the food, the set menu is excellent value for money.
If you are going to the Royal Albert Hall, Bistro One Ninety is in the perfect location less than five minutes walk away. Well worth a visit.

• Visited January 2013