“Home from home.....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chettinad Restaurant

Chettinad Restaurant
16 Percy Street | Soho, London W1T 1DT, England (Formerly Camerino) (Fitzrovia)
+44 20 3556 1229
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Chettinad Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #138 of 17,039 Restaurants in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Doing business, Families with children, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Welcome to Chettinad, the world of phenomenal South Indian cuisine. Chettinad is a small village in the Southern Tamil Nadu State of India. Chettinad is known for its culinary delicacies and now is one of the many reasons why people get to know Chettinad. We are a no fuss, no frill, stylish, laid back diner, who just speaks of truly and honest South Indian food in the heart of Central London. We only know how to cook-up good home comfort authentic food freshly made to order with understated approach to service. No meal is complete without traditional Dosa, lentil pancake eaten any time during the day. Well! Certainly it isn't just another Curry House!!! "Ideal place to try something new if you are a South Indian food virgin" Back home in Chettinad, your dishes are served on a huge fresh banana leaf, a disposable platter. Contact with your food is direct and tactile as you eat with your right hand, mixing wet into dry ingredients - a messy business for the uninitiated. In Chettinad Restaurant here, we want you to experience authentic original flavours, therefore you would find some of our dishes served with fresh banana leaf. Today we appreciate and respect that you have entrusted your palate to us, we will take great loving care and take your taste buds on a journey where each mouthful sings a new magical ''WOW'' note. Enjoy your meal at Chettinad- The Village Restaurant, where "QUALITY MEETS TRADIITON"
London, United Kingdom
“Home from home.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

The gathering of the clan...all 10 of us. And the venue and food to boot. Excellent service....from the manager to his very able team of lieutenants. The food...all I have to say is dosa. Wow! The fact that we felt we over ordered and ended with a doggy bag for one portion tells me what a delicious meal that was. Having worked in the area for 7 years I am personally very disappointed this was my first visit. Will most definitely be back

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Hebrew first
Liege
“Very nice restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Found this restaurant through TripAdvisor and we were very pleased by the warm welcome and very good meal.

I recommend this restaurant if you are travelling to London and want to taste Indian food different than the traditional chicken tandoori

Visited November 2013
luton
“Absolutely fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I found this restaurant on trip advisor as planned a day in London and wanted a evening meal as a treat for me and my partner. What fantastic food, I have not had such a great Indian meal for years. The food was so tasty and plenty of new things to try, the staff were attentive, friendly and the whole evening was great. I highly recommend this place, it's not a huge restaurant so I would book first. 5 star food 5 star service and not overly expensive.

Cardiff, Wales
“One of the best curry nights ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Take a look at all the other glowing reviews. I'm a fussy curry eater, but this place, for me, is perfect. Above anything else what impressed me most was the sheer freshness of the taste. An explosion of flavours. Just one word of warning, one of my party of seven prefers very mild dishes and found everything we ordered on the hot side. To sum up, Chettinad is a fabulous restaurant for real Indian food aficionados who know what herbs and spices they like. Can also recommend the Jack Horner pub literally 1-2 mins away (Fuller's) for pre or post-curry ales. I recommend the Bengal Lancer India Pale Ale beer or two at Jack Horner then a meal at Chettinad, where I recommend the Chittinad Kolli curry, and dhosa lentil bread. Good price for central London, too. Final point, a lot of Asian diners on the other tables, always a good sign. A memorable night.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Great value for money set lunch menu, A dosa with many side dishes all for £7.00, great stuff. Friendly staff helped my in-laws choose other dishes to their liking. Recommended for veggies and meat eaters.

Visited October 2013