“Big bed but some issues” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington

You added Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55 Westbourne Terrace, Paddington, London W2 3UY, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #582 of 1,066 Hotels in London
“Big bed but some issues”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The hotel is situated within 5 minutes walk of Paddington station. The reception is clinical and to be perfectly honest with you functional and not that friendly. We were asked for photo ID and found this strange as we are from the UK and so is the hotel...what would have happened if we had non after all there is no legal requirement to carry it?
On arrival in the room we found the mini bar fridge empty...well actually not true it had a half empty bottle in it...so more attention to detail on cleanliness is required. The other issue was that all the sockets did not work although this was then fixed by the staff. The bathroom had plenty of shampoo but no shower gel but again put right when reported...but we shouldn't have to ask for these things to be right they should be right on arrival.
The bathroom is the smallest I have ever had in no hotel but they can't do nothing about that.
The breakfast was fine but expensive!
All in all the hotel is transitory and serves a function, would we stay there again...no thank you.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Nice hotel and very nice location . I can get everything from Paddington station very fast . Nice area. As for hotel itself- nice staff, nice clean hotel. But u have pay in advance if u want to stay there . But its normal. The only thing i really didnt like there was no refrigirator in my room ;) i dont know about other rooms ;) but in general everythin is really good ! Thanks to management and hopefully see u in spring ;)

Stayed December 2014
Nema D, General Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We couldn't be more pleased in knowing your stay went of well.

We are looking forward to see you again in the near future

Regards,
Berri, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I had booked in here from Australia for 3 nights in November. I arrived at the hotel at around 8am from the long haul flight. I asked reception if I could chekc in because I wanted a shower etc before going out to explore London. they said no problem. Once checked in they said the room isnt ready. I asked then why have you allowed me to check in? I said I want a room please now that you have checked me in. I was given room 801. DON'T accept this room. I had to sleep in this room for 1 night and then I asked to be moved because I had paid for a deluxe room with a view. I had to sit sideways on the toilet due to lack of space. Pity a bigger person having to stay in this room.
I was moved for the next 2 nights.
No compensation was offered. It's like they didn't care. As long as they had your money they were happy.
The room I was given for the next 2 nights was just ok and I certainly wouldn't say it was deluxe.
Oh well that's what happens when you are a first time traveller to London.

Room Tip: Dont accept Room 801. I have seen small rooms but this was extremely small.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Nema D, General Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving your review on this forum. All comments and opinions are highly valued as they help us improve our services.
I am very disappointed to hear that you were not happy with your stay with us. We are a learning organization and we treat information like this very seriously in order to help increase our service levels.
Our check in time is at 2pm and we did our best to find you the first room available before the time.
Regarding rooms sizes, unfortunately our rooms can sometimes seem small due to the nature of the hotel and its design, however we do have few Club Rooms available that I am certain you would find much more comfortable on your next visit.

Yours sincerely
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had booked this hotel for 1 night for a birthday (not that I'd told the hotel this) and I had an amazing time for a short stay. I was greeted by friendly reception staff and told upon arrival I had been upgraded to a 2 double bed room on the top floor, needless to say I was delighted! I think it was 516, though I can't remember. Beautiful room with beautiful en suite. Of course we enjoyed the free tea/coffee/biscuit selection and the menu in the room informed us we could have a free refill whenever we liked. They also do 24 hr room service with pizzas at £8 it's a bargain (not that we had any). Had a great night out in London and such a relief to have a lovely quiet central hotel with a home feel and didn't have to check out till midday! Also, they let me leave my suitcase at reception while I went gallivanting around town right up until the evening, kudos to you guys. Will definitely stay again when I'm back in London :)

• Stayed November 2014
Dear Guest,

Please do come back to stay with us the next time in London, we will love to see you again.

Regards,
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The email I sent to the Shaftesbury Hotel chain, which they haven't replied to in five working days, sums up our visit!...

"I'd like to take this opportunity to provide some feedback on a recent stay at Park Grand London Hyde Park and Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington.

My Mum and I were originally booked into the Park Grand Hotel last night, however on arrival we were told, without any explanation, that we would be staying at the Shaftesbury Premier across the road instead.

Upon arrival at the Shaftesbury Hotel we were given room 002. This room was located at the front of the building right next to Reception/The Entrance. The bedroom door was located in a small hallway shared with only a door to the reception area, a door to the corridor of other ground floor bedrooms and the hotel lift. What this meant was that throughout the evening and night we were constantly interrupted or woken by guests either standing outside smoking and chatting or stood making arrangements with one another before heading into the lift, the lift shouting either 'Lift Going Up' or 'Lift Going Down' every time somebody got in and then music being played in reception this morning.

After entering the room last night (which was clean and comfortable but very small i.e. we had to move the room's armchair before we could open the wardrobe) the TV did not work, I had to go to reception twice and then wait for the Porter both times to bring an image back onto the screen, which he explained was due to loose cables behind the screen. The TV turned on at one point during the middle of the night and again stopped working before we left this morning.

Our room was a No Smoking Room however the bathroom along with the towels smelt of smoke as did the bedroom when other hotel guests were smoking outside the hotel entrance.

This morning during breakfast at 10am the staff although efficient looked miserable and seemed a lot more focused on bringing the breakfast session to an end at 10.30am than they were on ensuring guests were well looked after.

Finally, when leaving the Shaftesbury Hotel this morning and asked by The Receptionist if we had a good stay, upon my response about the room being incredibly noisy and small, she told me that I was wrong and the room was actually very big and was one of the best rooms in the hotel. This could well be case however I find it hard to believe having arrived home and looked at the gallery of guest bedrooms on your website.

To sum up our stay, I was heavily disappointed. I would have expected this from a 2 or 3 star B&B but would have hoped for a lot more from a 4 star Hotel costing £142.80 per night. The stay was a Christmas present for my Mum who does not live in London and what should have been a relaxing evening together was noisy, smelly and cramped."

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 002 if you want to sleep!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest

I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with your stay at the Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington.
Regarding to the email you sent to us, unfortunately we just received the email this afternoon.
I am most disappointed to read your comments in relation to your stay with us in particular about the noise from lift and the hotel guests who smoked outside, please accept my apology for any inconvenience or embarrassment, which may have been caused.
I understand you found the rooms to be small but unfortunately with Victoria buildings there is very little we can do.
I would like to assure you that all your comments had been passed to out appropriate department, and wherever possible, remedial action has been taken to ensure a similar situation does not reoccur.
We will look into the points raised by you and will take actions where necessary.

Best Regards
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Was very disappointed when we arrived, we had booked two deluxe rooms,one double and one twin. Twin room was great on level four lots of space, our original room (821)in basement was so small the bed touched the walls at either end. Staff were helpful and moved us to level three and although small at least we could get around the bed. Location was great 2min walk to station, plenty to eat and drink nearby.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Nema D, General Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us and I am sorry to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations on this occasion.

Furthermore, I would like to express my sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

Yours Sincerely
Amityville, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was nothing short of a disappointment. When we arrived, we went to what was advertised as a "Queen Deluxe" room, only to find out we had a room that was approx 6 1/2 feet wide, by 10 feet long with a full sized bed. No place to put luggage or unpack. There was a desk that you could not sit at because it was against the mattress. The bathroom was small, but you could move around a bit. That night we showed the front desk what we were supposed to get, a Queen Deluxe So, they agreed to move us to another room. Now, if you are someone that is over 170 lbs and or over 5'10", dont plan on taking a shower without getting bruised up. The trade off for the "bigger" room (Maybe 8X10 at best) was that the shower was smaller than a phone booth. Not even a soap dish. So to take a shower you had to hold the soap and shampoo in your hand because there was no place to put them and you could not even kneel down. Also, wear elbow pads in the shower because when you raise your arms to wash your hair you WILL hit the wall or door. By the way, this was called a "Private Bath". The bathroom had a frosted glass door. So my girlfriend and I now know exactly what we look like when we have to use the toilet.

Again, not a Queen bed, a full sized bed. It was also quite warm in the room. When I told the front desk we could not lower the temperature in the room, we found out they actually control what you can lower/raise the thermostat too from the front desk.. Really???? They have what are called "Club Rooms" which as we found out have the bed size and room size we thought we were getting in the first place. We were never offered this room.

There is a peculator in the room with "instant" coffee. Who goes to Europe to have Instant Coffee???

On the 4th night, we decided to check out their restaurant/bar in the basement of the hotel. It was open. Did not see a menu and oh yeah, no bartender to be found. Had to once again go to the front desk to get service.

The WiFi was awful. You could connect, get your email and it would almost instantly disconnect. You had to reconnect every few minutes.

The staff for the most part was friendly, but it was clear that my complaints had been heard before and there is really nothing they can do about it.

I do not recommend staying here if you are more than one person. While it is convenient to the Underground, it was not "deluxe" in anyway.

Room Tip: Stay closer to Victoria or Westminster for the sites. The Rooms Are SMALL
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I am truly sorry that you had such poor experience with us and feel the hotel and service received was way to below standards.

Best Regards
Nema Da Silva

Been to Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington? Share your experiences!