“Not 4-star we expected, but pretty good” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington

You added Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55 Westbourne Terrace, Paddington, London W2 3UY, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #579 of 1,065 Hotels in London
motown
“Not 4-star we expected, but pretty good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Overall, I'd recommend the hotel--Not the 4-star quality I expected, but free breakfast was worth the extra we paid.

PROS:
(1) BREAKFAST: Were told that all guests get complimentary breakfast. It was served in the basement--we just gave our room number then got a plate and were able to choose from many options and have as much as we wanted. The staff was generally on top of things and treated us like paying customers.
(2) 24-HR SERVICE: Staff was generally pleasant and helpful. We once had to ask for extra coffee in our room 3 times, but beside that, we got everything we asked for promptly. When we first got there, there was a lady yelling and complaining about NO SHEETS ON THE BED, so when we saw the same thing in our room, we simply asked for extra sheets and got them that same minute.
(3) LOCATION: Was pleased that many things were in walking distance (including the shuttle to the Heathrow airport at Paddington station).

RESERVATIONS:
The website and customer service before we got there was a bit confusing and frustrating.
We ended up calling the hotel directly since the information on booking.com and theshaftesbury.com didn't match up and we were worried our reservation would not be honored from a third party. Reading the reviews, I was worried that we'd get moved to another hotel, so we booked a few weeks in advance--maybe that helped.
We called 3 times and got different information about the availability of beds and showers in the rooms (wanted 3 beds in the triple, but were once told they don't do that and later told they'd put in a request...wanted to make sure there were showers in the rooms and were once told that they'd put in a request and were later told that all rooms have showers). We reserved two rooms and when we asked if they could be close to each other the response was "all the rooms are close to each other." We just took that strange answer and hoped for the best.

OUR ROOMS:
I'm not exactly sure which type of rooms we got since our email confirmation didn't include the words "deluxe" or "club." We got a twin room and a triple, both on the 4th floor. The twin had two beds moved together and the triple also had two beds together and a couch. I remember reading that the couches were for sleeping, but we were told that they are just couches, and I don't think ours had a pull-out option, so we just used an extra duvet, and it was fine. Both rooms had a bathtub/shower and toilet.
We also had towels, toilet & facial tissue, plenty of shampoo & conditioner, gel and hand soap, tea & coffee, milk & sugar, a super-fast kettle, 2 bottles of water, fresh flowers, a television set, a center table (in the triple), a desk & chair, one luggage rack, a microwave (unplugged in cabinet), a telephone, safe, hairdryer, bedside tables and storage/hangers for clothes (but we didn't use the wardrobe/closet because we had to move the floor lamp in order to fully open it). The rooms were small and some items were awkwardly placed, but the rooms were not as small as some of the reviews stated, and we found them suitable. The bathroom in the triple was not very large, but there was a mirror above the toilet for when two of us needed one.
There was no wine or fresh fruits as stated in one description, but maybe that was for the more expensive rooms. There were no bathrobes and one of our rooms didn't have an iron, but I'm guessing we could have requested those. There was also no newspaper but I saw some offered in basement and we probably could have requested that too.

ONLINE PHOTOS:
My first impression of the rooms was relief that they matched the pictures and quality I expected, but upon closer inspection, the facilities don't look as sleek or feel as expensive or new. Our rooms looked a lot like a couple of the pictures on booking.com and the hotel's website. Our triple looked like the photo with the red couch and the tea cups on the right side, but I'm guessing they moved some furniture from behind the photographer before taking the picture to make it look more spacious. The photo of the bathroom that's online was most likely taken from inside the tub. The pictures of the breakfast room are accurate, but there’s a picture of a TV or sitting room on booking.com that I didn't see anywhere. There is a sitting area in the basement by the computers that I saw in one of the pictures by the bar, but it’s small.

CONS:
(1) INTERNET: If there WAS free Wi-Fi, we couldn't get it in our room. Another guest told us that it was only available in the basement and in the reception area. We tried a couple of times to use the Wi-Fi in the basement, but it didn't work for us. Luckily, there were two public computers in the basement that were available most of the time we needed them.
(2) NO USA plug adapters: It's possible we were supposed to request them, but I assumed from the descriptions I read that they would be in the rooms. The only "USA plug" I saw in the room was for a shaver in the bathroom. Also, there were no other outlets in our bathroom other than for shavers.
(3) OTHER THINGS: (a) bathroom door was loud and difficult to open & close (b) towels were of cheap quality (c) the bathtub was elevated so I had to watch my step getting out of the shower (d) the lighting in the bathroom was fine, but there was no overhead light in the center of the room, so it often felt dark in the room (e) as I mentioned, there were no extra sheets in the room so we had to request them. Also, there were some heavy blankets in the cabinets, but they looked questionable, so we didn't use them (f) there was a draft coming from a windows that wouldn't close. The draft didn't bother me because of the heavy drapes. The heater, which may have been on most of the night because of the draft, didn't bother me either (g) at checkout, we were told we owed 75 pence for the phone use. This wasn't much, but we were upset because we weren't even able to connect our call--we only heard beeps on the phone before we hung up. We got the number from the company that was trying to find our lost luggage, so we assumed it was a local number, but were later told that the "0844" number was a toll call. Arguing our case did nothing, so we just paid.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Swapnil W, Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, May 3, 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us at Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington,

Thank you so much for the good comments on staff being friendly and helpful and i have forwarded your feedback to the respective head of the departments.

Apologies for the inconvenience and i do hope you will return to visit London soon again, and that you will choose to stay with us at the Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington.

It’s been our pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to many more visits seeing you again.

Swapnil Waghe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Polish first
grimsby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

friendly staff large room on top floor clean bathroom.microwave in room but no hair dryer.a/c in rooms one of the best rooms we have stayed in.we had a room at the back of the hotel so we had the sun in morning.found it very quite so got decent nights sleep.2 minutes walk to shops pubs restraunts .underground 2 minute walk as well as bus transport. 20 minute walk to oxford st.5 minute walk to hyde park.handy for the west end by bus or tube. would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: we stayed on the top floor at the rear of the hotel could not fault it.front rooms get a view of a t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Swapnil W, Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and your appreciation on our overall service is most welcome and I’m sure everyone will be happy to hear that.

Thank you once again for such a wonderful feedback.

Chinatown, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I booked this hotel through Agoda website and i got a wonderful deal for 80 pounds per room per night, This hotel was the most amazing experience I have ever encountered on vacation. The service was superb and the staff were attentive to your needs. This is the only hotel that I want to stay in.
We loved our stay. It would of course be nice with a balcony and a bit larger rooms (there is a quite large bath room and sitting area in the room) but this is London of course.
Would I stay there again? definately for small get-aways or business trips.

Room Tip: rooms bit small but worth it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Shaftesbury premier London Paddington.

Thank you for the overall satisfaction you have mentioned and we are very happy to hear this from you.

We wish to see you soon till then best wishes from our team.

Warm Regards,

Swapnil Waghe.
jaslo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

single room was in the basement. small, dark, disgusting. I did not want him to come back. This was the worst hotel room I have ever slept. the bathroom was not exactly clean up, I found a lot of hair from previous guests brrr ... Only the location is great..

Room Tip: check where your room is located
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Firstly thank you for staying with us and apologies for the inconvenience caused, I would personally like to inform you that in future please book Club rooms which is a higher category room in the hotel.

As we cannot turn back the time and rectify the inconvenience caused to you, if you wish to make a booking in future Please give me a call if possible on 0207 723 3434 and i will offer you the best discounted rate with a free upgrade to our Club rooms.

We do hope you will accept our offer as we really look forward to serving you once again.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We were booked for one night at the Shaftesbury's sister hotel, the Grand Royale. When we arrived, we were informed that due to a boiler malfunction, they had to transfer us to the Shaftesbury. We wondered why they couldn't have called us earlier to inform us of the change, especially considering the fact that the malfunction had happened the night before, but that's the least of it. Our party of four had two rooms. My friends were booked into a room on the third floor, we were given room on the ground floor. When my friends arrived upstairs, there was a lot of trash, including a mattress, strewn throughout the hallway. When we arrived in our room, we noticed that the window had been left wide open. The "dip" in the middle of the mattress was also glaringly obvious, even before we attempted to lay down on it. The rooms are extremely small (not unusual for London), making it extremely difficult for two people to navigate around it in order get dressed, pack, etc. In any case, we dropped our bags and left to tour London. As we had an early morning flight, we hopped into bed for a few hours of sleep. The mattress was the worst I've ever slept on. Huge dip in the middle. It clearly needs to be replaced. Window at this point was closed. As we awoke to get ready for our flight, we noticed the overwhelming smell of urine in the room. The mystery of the open window: solved. Absolutely disgusting. I can't even imagine why they would assign a room that they obviously knew to be polluted with urine (Otherwise, why would they leave the window open?). Four stars . . . NO WAY. Everything about this place screams one star at best. Avoid like the plague. And shame on the Grand Royale for sending us to such an establishment. Horrific end to a fabulous European vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback given which is of great importance to us, as on the basis of this we strive hard towards improving our standard and service level.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you in regards to the reallocation, I have noted your points mentioned regarding and will definitely pass on to my maintenance department to rectify the problem.

Please get in touch with me on 0207723 3434 and i would like to speak to you personally and apologize for all the inconvenience caused.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington Hotel is definitely your best choice while in central London and you are described as budget traveller. The management of Shaftesbury brand has well managed to offer a very clean rooms (unlike most 4* hotels in London) and above all the location of this specific hotel is just 5 minutes walk from the great Paddington station. This gives travellers accessibility to Heathrow express ( From/To) airport + underground ease to all London metro station. The neighbourhood is also a big plus as there are lots of restaurants , coffeehouses, bars, and groceries around you within 3 to 10 minutes walking distance. Breakfast should be enhanced though as well as employing english-speaking cleaning staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review and the team is very happy to hear that your overall stay went excellent.

Thank you for the good comments on the front desk staff being helpful.

Please do come back to stay with us the next time, we will love to see you again and help you to create some unforgettable memories.

Warm Regards,

Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

After reading other reviews here on tripadvisor my expectations werent so high- however i was pleasantly surprised ! I had booked a twin room as my friend and i were visiting london to go to the theatre. The room was a fine size with two very comfortable double beds with extra pillows. I had requested a bath tub which we got and even though the bathroom was small it was modern and had everything we needed. The staff at the front desk were very helpful. The breakfast was good with lots of variety. The best thing about the hotel is the location- it is 3 minutes from the Paddington station. I would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us again at Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington, Once again thank you for this wonderful feedback It humbles us in a way.

Thank you so much for the comments and the team are so pleased that you had a great time, Your feedback is being shared with the entire team and I am sure will energize all, We thank you very much for your kind appreciation of our hotel and its services.

Swapnil Waghe

Been to Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington? Share your experiences!