“Small rooms, but of good quality and an excellent location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington

You added Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55 Westbourne Terrace, Paddington, London W2 3UY, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #582 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Espoo, Finland
“Small rooms, but of good quality and an excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I normally wouldn't rate any hotels I visit in downtown London. They're all just too small and a bit worn for their price. And don't get me wrong, Shaftesbury Premier Paddington isn't a major exception. The rooms are small and the public spaces of the hotel very tight, with one small elevator and a lot of maze-like corridors. The reception is small, a bit worn out and the service I got was only adequate, nothing extraordinary.

But still, the location is just perfect. I mean, it's really a short walk from Paddington station. If you're arriving from Heathrow (with Heathrow Express, for instance) it's just too convenient.

The rooms have working heating, even floor-heating in the bathroom. As I was traveling, the weather was very cold (below zero C at night), and remembering the non-existent insulation of British buildings, the heating came to good use.

The room was small, tiny even, as was expected, but was in good condition and well-equipped. It even had a microwave hidden in one closet. Nice. The internet connection was wired, but the room had a cable and the actual connection was fast and reliable, something that you can rarely say about the WiFis of hotels. The WiFi is only available at the reception, but this didn't bother me, since I had my laptop with me.

I probably would look for other hotels if coming with my family, but the next time I'm in London for business, I'll be happy to book at Shaftesbury Premier Paddington again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Swapnil W, Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington and thank you for taking time to post a wonderful review on trip advisor.

I am very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay,Your kind words mean a great deal to all of us here at Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington.

We look forward to many more visits and our best wishes to you and your family.

Best Regards,

Swapnil Waghe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed in this hotel for 2 nights at a weekend, and chose it because of its location to paddington station and oxford street. The hotel was an easy 5 min walk from the station and from the outside was very nice. The hotel reception staff were good check in was quick and easy. We stayed in a deluxe double room, which although had all the facilities expected was really small and dark. However the bed was comfortable, the bathroom and shower was nice and clean, the climate control was good and the hotel was quiet, so we got a good nights sleep. We didn't have breakfast in the hotel as there was a place nearby we wanted to check out, but the offered option was reasonable and served at good times.

All in all, the room was small but the hotel was good and offered all the things you would expect. I I would definitely stay again, but have stayed in better hotels in central london for the same price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback and thank you for staying with us in Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington.

I am delighted to know that you very much enjoyed your experience at our hotel, Please do come back to stay with us the next time, we will love to see you again and help you to create some unforgettable memories.

I hope you will return to see us soon again and in the meantime we send you our best wishes for a wonderful year ahead.

Swapnil Waghe.
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

On our way back home from New Jersey, we made a decision to take of the next day to someplace new. That evening we made arranged our flight to London LHR. We found this hotel on Hotels.com and booked it in the boarding area right before boarding in IAD.
We arrived on a Thursday morning around 7:30am and the front desk staff was very professional and welcoming. They advised us that the room was ready and we went right up. We noticed that the hallways and our room was a bit smaller than we are used to; but it got the job done. The room was quite nice and it had all we needed, except NO WIFI in the room. Although we were able to connect at times, we were advised that the true WIFI connection would be from the main lobby. The Television was perfect for our stay and the beds were very comfortable and clean. Our bathroom was a bit tight; but also got the job done for our two night stay. We stayed on the second floor and have no complaints. We requested privacy in our room and asked not to be serviced. The staff placed a letter from the hotel letting us know they stopped by and saw we didn't want service; but that if we needed anything to please notify the front desk. The front desk was very pleasant and helpful. The first day we arrived we took off for the streets right away, a young man at the front desk was very helpful and quite helpful in pointing us in the right direction. We never visited the restaurant onsite nor the work out area. Overall it was a pleasant stay and very close to Paddington Station and plenty of good food and small markets. We would definitely stay at this location once again. We have already recommended to friends and they will be visiting soon.

Room Tip: Our room was excellent, not far from the lift (Elevator) on the second floor. Room 207 to be exact...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Swapnil W, Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to know that you very much enjoyed your experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you also for your comments where you have stated they are professional and welcoming, they are indeed warm, helpful and they will try their utmost to assist you with anything you need.

Crawley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

A short walk from Paddington Station, check in was smooth and friendly - not to mention the free bottle of wine we mentioned it was my husband's birthday. We were given a club room (don't know why, though we have stayed with Shaftesbury group before), but it was very small - if it had had only the double bed, and not the single as well, it would have been fine. Good shower (one of my pet peeves with some English hotels) and nice looking bathroom. Comfy bed with nice bed linen, but the towels were a bit thin. Breakfast was excellent with a wide choice. But our room, although on the ground floor, was a bit of a trek from reception and the corridors are very narrow and hard to negotiate with suitcases (and we have the four wheel ones). Lots of places to eat nearby, and of course very handy for public transport. Good value for a night or two, especially if you're travelling on the express to Heathrow.

Room Tip: If you've got big suitcases, try to get one close to reception or the lift.
Dear Guest,

It’s wonderful to know that your stay went off well. I’m sure the team will be excited to hear such feedback. It’s very kind of you to show us such appreciation. I’m sure everyone in the team will be excited.

To see our deeds and actions transcend to guest satisfaction is what we strive to achieve daily. Will convey your appreciation to the entire front office team. They have been truly outstanding and great assets to us.

We hope this visit would be one of many and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Swapnil Waghe.
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have no idea what the bad reviews are all about?? Please don't read them and let them put you off, its a shame when people complain about little things. Right on with my review!

Me and a friend booked this hotel for a base for a shopping trip to london. We usually stay in travelodges but the prices for them were coming up really expensive. So we had a look around on booking.com to see what nice hotels were around, then we found this beauty!

I ended up looking on the Shaftesbury Hotels website and seeing how much cheaper it would be, and it was so much cheaper. On booking.com you paid for the room only and no breakfast, or a more expensive option to have the room with breakfast. But on the hotel's own website it comes with breakfast and it came out at £291 for the two of us for 3 nights. This was during half term and it was cheaper than some crappy travelodges! I entered my credit card details and then I actually paid on the day with my card. Simple, no hassle.

We booked a twin room....so much space....what is everyone talking about having no room?? Unless the twins are bigger than the doubles? The beds were together, you couldn't really seperate them but this wasn't a problem, had a big floor space and a sofa!!! Nice telly (although the sound was a bit dodgy, may need fixing, this was room 115), wardrobe with a digital free of charge safe, lovely bathroom with powerful shower - hot showers :) The beds were sooooo comfy, I swear it was a memory foam matress, I slept so well.

The only grumble I would have was that the room was too cold, but that is expected for the type of old building it is. Plus it wasn't going above zero degrees centigrade when we were there so that explains it (and we couldn't be bothered to ask reception how to work the heater!!) Also roo m115 was on the outside of the hotel if that makes sense, sticking out from the main part of the hotel, so maybe it catches the cold a bit more being stuck out.

The breakfast was absolutely fine - a selection of english breakfast fry up items, cereals, yogurts, toast, crossiants, cheese....everything you need to fuel you up for the day of sightseeing. along with juices and hot drinks. I think if you pay for the breakfast seperately it is something like £15.

All the staff that we spoke to at the hotel were friendly and helpful, we had no hassle at all .

The location is PERFECT. A short walk up the road is paddington main train station and across the road is the entrance to the tube station. Nice area too, there are a couple of restaurants and pubs around.

I will definitely be returning to this hotel and recommending to my friends.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington and thank you for taking time to write to us.

To see our deeds and actions transcend to guest satisfaction is what we strive to achieve daily. Will convey your appreciation to our entire front desk team, They have been truly outstanding and great assets to us.

Bristol
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We arrived at the hotel relatively late at night, although we had called ahead to tell them our arrival time and they said this was fine. we were greeted by receptionists rudely as we were informed that our room was no longer available due to some issues with cigarette smoke. The staff then told us that they would transfer us to their sister hotel in notting hill and that they would arrange a taxi for us as well as complimentary breakfast.

This would've been fine, but being tired after a long flight we had to wait for what seemed like ages for the hotel to sort itself out and arrange our transfer.

Once transferred to their sister room we were placed in a small double in the basement. The hotel was really loud, the bed really small, the staff also rude and generally not what we expected.

The only redeeming thing was the breakfast which was good.

I booked this through Expedia and beginning to regret using Expedia as this is the 2nd time in 6 months that something like this has happened to me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Swapnil W, Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

I do not have enough words to apologize for the inconvenience faced that your reservation was not honoured at Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington.

We understand the stress and frustration you would have experienced for the reallocation from one property to another.

We duly apologize about not informing you prior to your arrival. We do understand that you may have been very upset with this incident and we sincerely apologize for all the trouble.

A i cannot turn back the time and rectify the inconvenience caused to you, if you wish to make a booking in future Please give me a call if possible on 0207 723 3434 and i will offer you the best discounted rate with a free upgrade to our Club rooms.

We do hope you will accept our offer as we really look forward to serving you once again.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Bitterly disappointed with all aspects of my dealings with this hotel. We had no warning that there was a problem with the room. We arrived late and proceeded to check in. After much filling in of paperwork despite having pre-paid, we were told that there were no rooms due to a power failure and we would be relocated via a 'free' taxi to Earls Court. The staff were rude and tried to make us feel like they would be doing us a favour with the 'free' taxi and then a 'free' cancellation! We refused to be relocated as needed to be in Paddington. Almost 40 minutes later, we were sent to a hotel five minutes away where, as we could hear very clearly, many other guests experienced the same - only they warranted a free breakfast! It was the worst customer service of my life and I implore anyone thinking of booking this to avoid at all costs.

Dear Guest,

We duly apologise about not informing you prior to your arrival. We do understand that you may have been very upset with this transfer and we sincerely apologize for all the inconvenience.

We strive each day to ensure that our guests experience an excellent service and it disappoints us that in this instance we failed to do so. On the basis of your feedback we will take steps to ensure that the errors are not repeated and flaws rectified. We truly feel responsible for the unsatisfactory visit of yours and therefore would like to make it up for the unpleasant experience you had.

I do not have enough words to apologize but if you please give our customer service a second chance to make it up that would be great, please call us on 0207 723 3434 and i would like to speak to you personally regarding this review.

Swapnil Waghe

Been to Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington? Share your experiences!