“Certainly not stellar but perfectly acceptable” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington

You added Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55 Westbourne Terrace, Paddington, London W2 3UY, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #568 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Certainly not stellar but perfectly acceptable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

My single room was small but perfectly adequate and kind of cosy. It was clean but the yellowed, slightly torn net curtains were a bit of a turn off. The reception area is a bit shambolic but once into the main body of the hotel it is perfectly fine. The breakfast was good and the location perfect for paddington station. Whilst this part of London is not one of the best, it does offer something which approaches value for money- a concept quite alien in London.

I would really not recommend this hotel to older travellers. As has been remarked by other reviews, as soon as I opened the room door there were three steps - a fact I sometimes forgot during my stay. I am sure there must have been numerous accidents over the years. I would have hated to have taken my elderly mum as this would have been a recipe for disaster.

• Stayed October 2012
Swapnil W, Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Nigel,

Thank you for your recent review, Your comments on the room regarding steps are valid as we are aware of those rooms having steps and all the rooms has signs on the doors.

Thank you for the good comments on breakfast and the location.

I have noted your points raised and would definitely give them a serious consideration in order to improve and pass on to the relevant department to act on it.

We look to welcome you back to our hotel in future.

Regards,

Swapnil Waghe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

If you book this don't expect to stay here. Booked because of close proximity to Paddington and the location of a training course. Arrived at about 6pm on a dark rainy evening. It's a 5 minute walk from Paddington and easy to find. After registering two rooms and providing a credit card we were told the hotel was being renovated and that we would have to move to a sister hotel nearby. This seems to be a common story at this hotel. Someone should explain to them that it's bad business. Fortunately the alternative hotel was of similar standard and not far away, I submitted a separate and positive review for that hotel - the confusingly named Shaftsbury Hyde Park Premier Paddington. Strangely the second hotel was unable to issue an invoice. We were referred back to the first hotel - the one we didn't stay at!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Adrian,

Thank you for your recent review, I apologise for the inconvenience regarding the reallocation has caused and thank you very much for bringing it to my attention.

I will definitely be investigating and looking into the issue further to ensure this does not happen to you or future guests again.

Best regards,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The hotel was booked for me for a business trip. I arrived quite late, eager to rest before an early morning meeting. After waiting for 30 minutes for the lady before me to be attended, I was told rooms are "out of order" and I will be moved to another location. The answer to "where" was: we are searching. After 2 hours and many other guests arriving with the same treatment I was finally given a hotel half an hour drive away. Very unprofessional.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington. We aim to consistently provide a service with excellence and therefore your thoughts and suggestions are always welcome.

We are committed to provide a satisfactory service on all occasions, but inevitably in spite of our best efforts, at times we fail to do so.

We are embarrassed and most of all deeply sorry for not being able to accommodate you in the property you booked originally. We do realise how inconvenient it must have been for you to go through this unpleasant situation at an odd hour.

I would like to speak to you if you could please call me on 0207 723 3434 and I would be happy to assist you.

Regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We haven't been quite impressed with the services, but it was clean, and that was the important thing. The location is good as well. The price were quite expensive as the hotel wasn't what we really expected.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent stay in Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington.

Thank you for the good comments on cleanliness and regarding service i will personally look into it, Please make sure when you come back to us you continue to make the most of it and totally enjoy your time at the hotel.

With warmest regards and best wishes.

Manager.
Derry
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We booked a double deluxe room, the first room we where allocated could not be described as either double or deluxe. The bed was against a window, which would have meant one person would need to climb over the other to get out of the bed, the room would be small even for one person. When we complained we were allocated another room which was slightly bigger and you could get out of the bed on either side, however the space between the bottom of the bed and the wall was so small you had to bend over to avoid bumping into the tv which was on the wall. I have seen larger broom cupboards than the bathroom. The pictures on the website were noting like the room we received, the room was very dated and badly in need or refurbishment. The deluxe room was also supposed to have fresh fruit, we did not get any. The breakfast was just ok, the breakfast room was far too cramped and food was luke warm. There were never enough bowls or glasses.
Would not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nema D, General Manager at Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We value your feedback and it has been taken on board.

Colchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Although a convenient spot with nearby parking at Paddington Station at a very reasonable rate, there were a few niggles. We booked into a Club room for a bit more room and upgrade on the standard room. Glad we did - the room was Bijoux!! nice view from the rear though - makes a change from car parks and bin stores

Check in was quick and simple. Tthere was a bit of a hike with heavy bags up stairs, didn't see a lift. Check in staff very helpful. The room was clean and had everything we needed, just a little on the small side - goodness knows how small a standard room is!! The lighting in the room was very dark, which left no option to apply my make-up in the bathroom leaning over the sink. Again bathrom was very small. In general I have no complaint about the room - robes and slippers were provided and a good selection of toiletries.

My husband and I were attending a charity event on the evening of our stay and required a cab to the venue. The concierge ventured to the main road and brought back a black cab for our journey - excellent service.

If I had one complant it would be the breakfast experience. Having chosen the Club room, the breakfast was incuded in the price. Breakfast was adequate - but the chaos in the breakfast room needs to be addressed. There are insufficient tables for the guests, as a consequence guests are left queueing in a narrow corridor, which is also the exit to the restaurant - potential for pandemoneum in the event of a fire. Staff were irritated by the queue and seemed harrassed and flustered, probably due to what appeared to be inadequate staffing. Once offered a table, I then found another queue formed at the breakfast buffet, as cereal bowls weren't available, nor glasses for the fruit juice.

All in all my husband and I were satisfied with our stay, but would suggest they look at the staffing over breakfast and make this area bigger to accommodate the guests.

Room Tip: Opt for the Club room with breakfast as a deal and try to avoid breakfast at peak time!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Nashville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed here 2 different times in September because of the proximity to Paddington. The first stay, one night, was just fine. Clean modern room, very courteous and helpful staff--my only complaint is that when you opened the door to the room you had to immediately go down 5 steps, which was kind of weird, but I know that's not unusual in these older converted buildings. The second stay, a week later, was so bad that I will never use this hotel or its "sister" hotels again. I arrived in the evening and was told that due to "maintenance issues" I was being transferred to another hotel. Because I had an early flight out of Heathrow the next morning, and planned to take the Heathrow Express out of Paddington, I told the desk staff that this wasn't acceptable. The young man told me it was unavoidable and they were going to have a taxi take me to another one of their hotels in Bond Street, which he said was "only 5 minutes away." I finally capitulated and got in the taxi they'd ordered for me. I used to live in London, and as I watched the street signs go by I realized we were not headed anywhere near Bond Street--at least not the Bond Street I know. I questioned the driver, who was very nice, and it turns out there's also a Bond Street in Ealing and that's where we were headed, to a hotel called Xanadu. I asked him to stop so I could call the Shaftesbury and tell them I was NOT staying in Ealing. It took forever to get through to the front desk, and even then the inept young man was not at all helpful. Finally I told him I was coming back and they needed to find me a room within walking distance of Paddington. To make a very aggravating long story short, they finally put me up at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, around the corner from Paddington in Sussex Gardens. By this time I was furious, exhausted, and had missed dinner with friends on my last night in London. On the positive side, although the hallway was shabby, the room at the Metropolis was fine and the front desk staff were very helpful. However, that does not make up for the massive inconvenience to me and what really amounted to an egregious deception by the staff at the Shaftesbury Premier London Paddington.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Nema Da Silva

Been to Shaftesbury Premier Hotel London Paddington? Share your experiences!