“Budget hotel. What can you expect?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Celtic Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Celtic Hotel
You added Celtic Hotel to your Saves list
61-63 Guilford St., London WC1N 1DD, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #81 of 541 London B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Budget hotel. What can you expect?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

We love B&Bs. This is not a B&B in the English sense - you know the type - small, cozy, a few rooms and getting to know the family that runs the home away from home. This is a budget hotel, which provide breakfast. But then again, they DO put 'hotel' in their name.

Bloomsbury is quite lovely a section of town. The hotel is 2 minutes from Russell Square station. Location is ideal!!! Pret a manger nearby, three leafy green parks, British Museum about 10 minutes. Pubs, cafes, everything you can want.

Also, the staff are incredible. Hardworking is probably too soft a word for it. The ladies who clean - the staff must love the owners because its cleaned so well. I'm a clean-freak and I had nothing to complain about! I bet even the tops of their doors are clean.

The breakfast is no-nonsense and run by one older lady that is no-nonsense too, but as nice as honey. She refuses to let you do ANYTHING but eat, and does it all - takes orders, serves, serves more, cleans up and makes the toast and never burns it.

There must be over 30 rooms in there? From what I gathered, very very few are en-suite. I also encountered many mature couples who have been there multiple times.

Then there are the budget travellers and students, which lets face it, no one can be vetted prior to being given a room key. We booked a twin room (doubles were taken) and shown to a room that certainly saw better days. As we were on a romantic weekend, this room made us want to cry. Clean, spotless, but dirty walls, bleak white sink - I went out to check the shared bathroom and asked my husband if there was a chance to leave...but London is a very pricey town and this price was...very good (76 GBP for a twin with shared bathroom.) We assured ourselves that there must be one useable shared bathroom in all the place (there are many!!!)

I passed the young man who checked us in and asked, "do you possibly have any other rooms." He asked what was the problem, I said none, just that it was a bit grim in there. He offered a renovated room, which we took without seeing! This room, as well as the first, were facing the front of the hotel. Room 11 was fine - definitely painted and refreshed. Oh! All rooms have fantastic flat screen TVs. The linens were clean and although budget (the sheets were scratchy), I'll take clean over comfy any day!!! Flat pack wardrobe was broken on the bottom, and took up a lot of space in the room. The room had a sink, and windows that opened, which we did.

This is very communal living and there were 3 other doors near us on the top floor, and not all people were raised apparently with other people so slamming of doors, talking outside the door, etc., these things you have to live with all night. Very unfortunately, I spent a good half hour at 2 AM listening to a girl being sick in the bathroom after stumbling upstairs. Again, this is NOT the fault of the hotel or the owners, but please remember this is a budget hotel and a lot of students stay here. The area is full of budget hotels and hostels, so even after the sick girl went to bed, the noise of the rude people in the streets (yelling, whistling) is...loud.

Of the three beds in the our twin room, one was new, the other two so soft they went quite to the floor.

Now we only slept at the hotel, not used it as the destination of our trip. The second night was better, much calmer all around and seemed the place full of students in a group, and they were all so nice. No problems the second night, except for waking to someone opening and closing their doors next to us. I did not use the showers....

Our side of building had a new shower and what looked to be an older one. Top floor, not much pressure. And you had a choice of boiling hot water or boiling hot water. (No, that is not a typo.)

I'm not a breakfast eater, so next time we'll spend a bit more money for a higher level hotel and go have a lunch or breakfast elsewhere. The crazy thing is, for 76 pounds, this is a great value for a bed in London, especially one so close to the tube. The location is lovely; I enjoyed walking around the area, and the hotel has two lounges for folks to relax and spend time meeting each other, as well as a place to keep your luggage.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
East Lothian
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

I was requiring a place to stay for 12 nights and the Celtic Hotel seemed to get excellent reviews.
I was greeted warmly when I arrived, my room was at the very top (no lifts) but I was helped upstairs with my luggage.
The room was small but light and very clean. At the price I was paying it was not ensuite but the shared toilet and showers were always clean.
Breakfast was excellent, the staff all very friendly.
If there was a problem it was that I couldn't find the wi-fi connection, I believe others had the same problem, if you need your laptop it may be advisable to bring your own connection.
I'm coming back in June for a few days and had no hesitation at all in booking at the Celtic.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Montpellier - Bordeaux
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

Good place to stay, well situated, near of British Museum and St Pancras (Eurostar)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Glenwood Springs, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

I met a girlfriend there in March 2010 and stayed 7 nights. The remodeling the previous reviewers referred to is done as per Mrs. Marazzi the owner. We stayed on the top floor and although my single room was very small, it was very clean and the bed very comfortable. There was no shower or toilet in the room and after only 2 hours sleep on the plane, this seemed impossible. But then after a good night's sleep and a wonderful breakfast, things didn't seem so bad. The walls ARE very thin and you can hear every conversation next door. If the other guests arrive wen you're trying to sleep, the doors slam readily and any conversation can be heard in the hall. Students were present during our stay and they were very apologetic about the thin walls and we all tried to be quiet after a reasonable hour. I always had hot water for the shower and found it clean and always full of fresh towels. The internet connection was spotty but I had one and could use my computer in my room. My girlfriend could not so it all depends on whether you're above the router downstairs or not. We recommended a stronger router due to the high volume and flakiness of the existing router. One night it took two hours to get it to work. The staff was very very friendly and accommodating. If I asked for ice, a teapot, I got it. I found the whole experience very charming and reasonably priced. The pub around the corner was ok, not great and there's a grocery store a few blocks away. The Russell Square tube station is right around the corner. All in all, I would stay there again. The staff goes out of their was to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
A charge is made for phone calls so be aware of that if you use the phone at the front desk.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

the celtic really is a little gem. perfect location in central london, yet amazingly quiet. wonderful staff with full english breakfast served in a charming dining room. two quaint lounges with leather chairs, rooms light and airy with flowered upholstered chairs. they are refurbishing the hotel, but i barely heard the workmen - very discreet. when the refurbishing is done, they will make a nice little garden. oh yeah- and the price is very, very reasonable. you will be very happy with the celtic.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
NYS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2009

I found the St Margaret's when I was a student looking for an inexpensive place to live in London for several months in 1968. The family is the best--the parents, and now Deborah really know how to run a hotel. They are the best. I stayed at the Celtic for the first time in Sept 06 when I was back in London on business for the first time after the St M's closed. I'll be taking my next trip this coming spring & will stay there again. I am pleased to learn from postings here about the renovations in process. The Celtic is not yet what the St M's was at the time the Duke forced its closure but neither was the St M's in 1968 what it was in 2006. I am looking forward to staying again at my 'home away from home' in London.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

It was so nice to see the Mazzinis again, and to be so warmly welcomed. Our room was great-- Mrs. Mazzini said it hadn't been renovated yet, but it was dead clean, bright and cheerful, and had huge windows that opened-- always a plus with us.
The bonus is that the Brunswick Centre, which had become run down to the point of being scary, has been totally redone, and it is wonderful-- A Carluccio's, a Patisserie Valerie, a couple of other cafes, a good chocolatier, and a supermarket.
We left touristy things early several days to just go and sit in the sun and drink coffees and eat raspberry tarts.
There is a Pret a Manger right behind the hotel. too. so if you want to pack a picnic you are all set.
The staff at the hotel know all of the good places to eat--- especially a really good Indian restaurant.

Still a tremendous value, and so clean-- it is the only London hotel where I willingly pass on a private bathroom.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple