“Very nice staff, hotel is, well...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Celtic Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Celtic Hotel
You added Celtic Hotel to your Saves list
61-63 Guilford St., London WC1N 1DD, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #89 of 526 London B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very nice staff, hotel is, well...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

First of all let me say that Roseanna and the rest of the staff are so nice and attentive. The servers at breakfast work very hard and get your food out very quickly. Roseanna always asks about your day with a smile on her face and gives you any advice you request. The rooms are cleaned every day, the soap is always replaced and the beds are always made. That being said... the place could use some work. If the staff wasn't so nice, this would easily get 1-2 stars. I am from America so I know I'm biased, and this just may be how all budget hotels are in Europe. If this were in America, I would give it 0 stars and call the health inspector, but... when in London, I guess! The bathroom and shower smell pretty gross. The sheets feel clean and fresh but I wouldn't dare look at the mattress. The curtains and tablecloth are gross. I broke out in a rash all over my body from using the hotel soap (rookie mistake I guess). They definitely do the best they can with what they have, and I assume this is just a symptom of the hotel being in a very old building in Europe. I'm under the impression that this is just how most hotels are here. It's not that I wouldn't stay here again, but it definitely skeeves me out a good amount, and I wouldn't really look forward to coming back.. but I'm not really sure there's much better out there in the same price range (which is very expensive in USD btw!)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed at the Celtic Hotel twice during our recent holiday. It is very convenient to the underground as well as the British Museum, British Library, and some of the national rail stations. Russell Square station is on the Picadilly line, which runs directly to Heathrow. Staff was cheerful and friendly. Breakfast was pleasant every day. The servers remembered what we liked from one day to the next. The room was a bit cramped for the four of us, with little space for our few suitcases. The ensuite bathroom was smaller and not as nice as the one down the hall . On our second stay, we used the community facilities. On a positive note, when one of our group departed early, they left us in the room for 4, but only charged us for 3.

Room Tip: rooms in the back are quieter
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The celtic hotel

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights at the end of June. Our stay was quite pleasant. We had a triple room with the en-suite bathroom on the 3rd floor (by the U.S. count or the 2nd floor by the UK count). It was spacious enough - unfortunately, we had quite a bit of luggage, coming to London after a 3 weeks stay elsewhere in Europe, so the floor of the room was quite busy with our suitcases, but at least there was a room to spread them.

There were 2 beds, a queen size and a single. The beds were comfortable (and wider than I expected, having read about narrow beds in Britain!) so we were able to have a good night sleep. The bathroom was rather compact but served its purpose quite well and was very clean. The was no hairdryer in the room but I asked for one at the reception and it was no problem.

There is a couple of sitting rooms on the ground floor with lots of comfortable furniture and extra TV, I believe. I noticed a few people sitting there with their computers - apparently, they had found that wi-fi reception was stronger downstairs. But I had no trouble connecting my iPad to the Internet right in the room. You would need to get a password from the reception for that.

The breakfast was also served downstairs. There is a pleasant dining room with perhaps 7-8 tables, covered with tablecloths. There is also an outside dining area the hotel was building while we stayed there. The breakfast itself was quite impressive and exceeded our expectations. The choices were sausage, bacon, eggs scrambled or poached, hot and cold cereal, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, orange juice, toasts with butter and marmalade, slices of grapefruit... Brigitte and Mira took a very good care of our morning meals, and were very pleasant and efficient.

The entrance to the hotel is secured. You ring the bell to be let in. There are no elevators so the luggage had to be taken up by rather narrow and somewhat steep stairs. It did not come as a surprise for us and was not a problem for us personally but I am mentioning it just so that you are aware of what to expect.

The windows in our room overlooked the backyard. There is a pub nearby in that direction so occasionally we'd hear the pub crowd. We'd cease hearing them during late evenings despite leaving the window open. There is no A/C (which is typical for London) but we didn't really needed it as the weather was cool and we could sleep comfortably (it did help that we could leave the window open).

The tube station is just around the corner, literally 2-3 min from the hotel's door. There is also a rather big shopping center with a supermarket Waitrose and some places to eat.

In short, we were quite happy with our stay and the prices were reasonable too!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cambridge, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed at the Celtic Hotel for 3 nights in June, 2012. It is close to many attractions, clean and serves excellent breakfasts. The rooms are small with ensuite facilities. It was a good choice for an economy hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

On our first visit to London in 1985, my husband and I had stayed at St. Margaret's Hotel, and the hospitality of this family-run place was memorable. I learned a few years ago that after losing their lease in Bedford Place, the family had decamped to this lesser property on Guilford Street and begun renovating and raising its quality to the standard they had previously maintained. I was very curious to see if the Celtic was now comparable to the former St. Margaret's.

It definitely is. As always, the service was impeccable, the room was spotless and well-maintained. Breakfast is cooked-to-order in the pleasant dining room. There is a selection of interesting books to peruse in the lounge. The Marazzis are even in the midst of creating a garden out of the small yard area behind the building, complete with gazebo.

The security was also impressive. The front door of the establishment remains locked. You buzz to get in, and the person at reception checks you out via a video camera before they admit you. Whenever we went out, we left our valuables (computer and passports) with the reception attendant, who locked it away in a closet behind the reception desk.

The Celtic Hotel is located just around the corner from Russell Square tube station, which is on the Piccadilly line. It is also a mere three or four blocks from The Lamb on Lamb's Conduit Street, a favorite location for TALF pub meets. I plan to stay at the Celtic again next time we are in London.

Room Tip: We were able to get a triple room, since we were traveling with our teenaged daughter. It had three...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

When we travel as a family, we need 3 sleeping surfaces (two teens of opposite genders, and two grownups). It's usually quite difficult to find a hotel that can accommodate this without either paying for a giant suite or two adjoining rooms. I was happy to find the Celtic and their family room, for a very affordable price for the location, especially including English breakfast. Our room was small, probably the former front parlor of the townhouse, but there was room to move around. We had the ensuite, and the bath was small but adequate. I would characterize the room as spare, but it was very clean and since we weren't in London to hang out in our hotel room, it made a fine base. The staff, as mentioned in other reviews, are very helpful and friendly, especially the breakfast crew, who were very patient with clueless Americans. The hotel is around the corner from the Russell Square Tube stop, and a short walk from King's Cross/St. Pancras. Since this place was pretty much exactly half as much money as the Hotel Russell, where some friends were staying (and who were complaining about broken heating elements and stuck windows), I feel we got the better end of the deal.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Bangor, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We had stayed some years ago at St. Margaret's Hotel nearby, the previous one run by the owners of the Celtic Hotel. This time we opted for a room with ensuite bath, which was carved out in the corner of what was once an elegant room (perhaps a parlor?) in this row house. Like a number of other hotels in Bloomsbury, the Celtic is made up of several former elegant row houses that have been joined together. Our room was adequate in size for two of us, though definitely on the small size, and the bed was comfy. Storage was good for our 4-night stay, with a wardrobe and chest of drawers so we could unpack. Bathroom amenities were very minimal--a couple of tiny unwrapped bars of soap for two people, no shampoo, small bath towels, etc. The price was good for this part of London, though certainly high by our standards--just don't expect high-end amenities, or even anything approaching a budget chain in the US. We regularly seek out and use small hotels such as this when we travel in Europe, so knew what to expect.

As others have noted, the staff were very helpful and accommodating, both at the front desk and in the nicely-appointed breakfast room. There were two public lounges with a large flat-screen TV in one. Several times, we saw groups or classes being conducted in one of the lounges, so other guests would of course feel they needed to use the other one. There was wi-fi available for free, but the connectivity was poor in our room (which was just up one flight), so I would go to the lounge to check email, etc.

The location was excellent, close to British Museum, restaurants, etc. We walked further afield too, e.g., Leicester Square, St. Martin's in the Fields, Churchill War Rooms, Houses of Parliament, etc. It's right by the Russell Square tube stop, and walking distance to Paddington Station. We did, however, take a taxi to Paddington as we were catching an early Eurostar train to Brussels. As there is another larger hotel across the street, and a number of others nearby, taxis seemed to be readily available in the neighborhood. We had fun going to the pub that's right on back of the hotel, including one one night when we were packed in with hordes of football fans when England was playing a round of the 2012 Euro soccer championships.

Room Tip: Front rooms are a bit noisy, especially with early morning street cleaning and trash pick up.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Celtic Hotel? Share your experiences!