“Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cay Tre

Cay Tre
301 Old Street, London EC1V 9LA, England (Shoreditch)
+44 20 7729 8662
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4,751 of 17,879 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Shoreditch
Description: Cay Tre is Hoxton's favourite Vietnamese restaurant, small but perfectly formed. Here you'll find a fresh and creative approach to Vietnamese cuisine that we pride ourselves on. Cay Tre is bustling with life and full of the heady aromas of great Vietnamese cooking. We're passionate about food, ensuring what you get is an authentic taste of Vietnam using fresh, well sourced ingredients from the British Isles, wherever possible. We have a saying at Cay Tre, which is 'to make the simplest of dishes taste good you need the ingredients of time and passion' and you can be assured we have plenty of both. Every dish, from our street food snacks to our a la carte delicacies, is lovingly prepared with this saying in mind. Take our classic beef Pho for example, which takes over 18 hours to make! Likewise, our wine list is carefully selected by renowned wine writer Malcolm Gluck to match the aromatic dishes on the menu. What's more, if you're looking for food on the go, we offer a Vietnamese takeaway service and can deliver promptly to your home or office.
london
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We went here because of the good reviews. Not sure what the hype is about- the drinks were overpriced and average, as was the food.

I had the pho and my boyfriend had a lamb curry. Neither of us ate much. The meat was so fatty and the pho flavourless compared to those I've had before.

The 12.5% service charge is ridiculous.

Won't be going back here.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

London
“Great but very busy... All the time!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I like Cay Tre but it's almost always frantically busy which puts me off rather.
The food is great and portions generous - quite spicy but with an authentic flavour that makes it such a popular destination.
Go for the food but if you're trying to have a relaxed catch up with a friend, this is not the place for you....

Visited September 2012
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“First try of Vietnamese food and liked it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Visited this restaurant while staying in London on business as it was right near my hotel and seemed to have good reviews on here.

It certainly is an experience, as many of said, very busy, loud and small restaurant, but adds to the atmosphere. The staff seemed fairly helpful and friendly, although always slightly flustered (unsurprisingly I guess!).

The food was good, wasn't sure what to expect having never eaten Vietnamese before but I enjoyed what I had and found it very similar to Chinese food with some Thai influences.

Think I would return if I was in the area again to try some more of the dishes on the menu!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Very average and fairly expensive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The worst part was the poor service. I know this can happen anywhere but there were two rather rude waitresses who kept pressuring me and my friends to hurry up. No smiles.

Food was disappointing and I've had better Vietnamese. Cramped seating and rather expensive for what you get. Go elsewhere.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
london
“Great food, great service, great find!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stumbled upon this restaurant by accident on Valentines Day evening, having lost our reservation at another place around the corner.

Being in Soho on Valentines, it was packed, but the service was fast, the staff keen, and the food was superb.

Salt, pepper and chili squid, with anchovied chicken wings to start, with a fish coconut curry and a lamb dish (i think they brought the wrong one, but it was great so we didnt mind) - and as we were in a hurry, the quick service was really suitable.

We will definitely be going again, although better to reserve a table than sit at the front looking out the window as we did - but i am definitely happy we missed our booking at the place around the corner - this place was superb!

• Visited February 2013