“food was delicious,service was very friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Citrus Restaurant

Citrus Restaurant
The Park Lane Hotel | Piccadilly, London W1J 7BX, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )
+44 20 7290 7364
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3,599 of 17,931 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park
Description: Citrus is a casual restaurant featuring modern Italian cuisine. Passionate about the fresh, lively flavours and ingredients of modern Italian cooking, Citrus' chefs create menus that combine the best of traditional Italian dishes with modern techniques and flavours. All foods are made entirely from fresh ingredients in-house, including the ice-creams and sorbets. We pride ourselves in friendly service, and our team will be happy to offer recommendations and answer any questions that you may have about our menu. In the Summer, our terrace is a great place to relax for a lunch with friends, overlooking Green Park. Citrus restaurant was awarded a"Certificate of Excellence" by TripAdvisor in 2013 with which is given to businesses and restaurants that consistently earn top ratings from travellers.
London, United Kingdom
“food was delicious,service was very friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I had dinner at citrus restaurant with my sister two days ago and we simply loved it!
As a starter I had bruschette, my sister ordered baked tiger prawns. Both dishes were served very quickly and they tasted great! As a main course we ordered the grilled halibut and the spaghetti alle vongole. Both dishes were delicious and huge portions and seasoned perfectly! Great value for money! the service staff was very attentive and fast!
We often travel to Italy and it really tasted authentic! I highly recommend this restaurant to everybody who loves italian food! we will definitely go there again!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Saranac Lake, NY
“At the Park Lane on Piccadilly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Fine spot for lunch an drinks. They serve street side on the patio. We watched the Queen's horses go by, nice surprise.

Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Average Italian”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Had lunch here, which was somewhat disappointing. It was similar to other UK Italian restaurants, average. I had the spaghetti vongole to start, although there were great flavours and good spice levels, the clams hadn't been cleaned very well. Therefore there was still sand and grit in the dish, which let it down massively.

I had the quattro formaggi pizza for my main, which was rather stodgy, and was quite dull. However, it was cooked very well and was a good sized portion, could perhaps feed two.

The staff were very friendly and attentive which was great, however the food was rather bland and similar to the food of other Italian restaurants around the country.

Despite this, it would probably be a good place for families, due to the variety of food, and reasonable prices.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London
“Good food but appalling service - beyond poor!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I was expecting a good evening when I booked Citrus having read the reviews and heard previous guests' experiences. I was not bargaining on what we experienced. In summary the food varied from ok to excellent, the service from average to atrocious.
We had booked an early table and on arrival, there was a couple sitting outside in front of one of the windows and no-one else in. We went inside where two staff were talking, one in uniform, the other obviously finished and going home - in mufti. Obviously it was a bad time as we were disturbing their conversation but the 1st staff member we were to encounter condescended to seat us. She chose the window seat adjacent to the glass where the only two other patrons were seated. She recognised this though and asked if we wanted the window seat on the other side of the restaurant where there was no-one in the window. I know it is policy to seat window seats first - I fully understand that. Equally I understand that we could have requested a different table, after all, they were all empty; but no, we had two options. We elected the other table and made our way there. Staff member one didn't. We waited a very brief while then i took my jacket off and put it over the back of the chair and sat down. Appear staff member one. Would you like me to take your coats? Did she not notice we were already seated and devoid of outer garments? Oh well. No thank you we are fine now. After all, its only a trivial point.
Off she trots to return a short while later with menus which she explains are a la carte and set menu then disappears. Again, I am being fussy but there was no offer of a drink nor did she point out that the wine list was on the reverse of the a la carte - obvious I know but its that attention to detail that makes the experience. She comes back a short while later and asks if we're ready to order. Not just yet thanks; just a couple more minutes please? Sure! As she turns I ask if I can order a bottle of wine. Of course you can! But I am not going to offer!

The wine was duly delivered, tasted and a glass each poured by Staff One. She touched the bottle only once more - only to take away the empty after our entire meal.

We order or meals, I elected for the gnocchi and my girlfriend the oxtail ravioli. We waited an acceptable period of time and the starters were delivered by staff member two. He placed the meals in front of us and said tersely, "If you want salt and pepper, ask." He turned and fled. We saw no-one to ask until abut three quarters of the way through, staff one asked if everything was ok. We allowed that the meal was very nice. And so far it was. The Gnocchi was superb and the ravioli was subliminal.

Our empty plates sat on the table for too long when along comes staff member three. She smiled - ok that's good - cleared our plates and left in there place an amuse bouche which she fully explained and hoped we enjoyed. Ok. Not bad.

For main I ordered the lamb which I was told was served medium. I'm fine with that. I ask for a recommendation from staff one on the best side to accompany the lamb. I'm offered a salad or spinach and choose the spinach. My girlfriend requested the bass.

After another wholly acceptable interval, staff two is back with the meal. He p[laces them in front of us and as I pick up my knife and fork leans over and picks up my (square) plate and turns it ninety degrees. Really? Isn't that sort of detail you should really get right first time and when you don't then move on? I dread to think what would have happened had he caught me half way through! Before he can sashay away, my partner asks for black pepper. How inconvenient. He obliges though and even offers me without waiting to be asked. He disappears. No spinach yet. I am sure its on its way. On other table is seated now, agent on his own. I noticed he had just ordered. A minute or so passes; no spinach. I look for someone but there is no-one around. I start my meal. The lamb is well done. Not medium, not medium well. Its well done. There is not the slightest trace of pink anywhere on the plate. The meat is lamb grey. But its tastes lovely and is by no means too dry. I grew up on home cooked lamb, so well done is not an issue for me so I continue. Halfway through, with not a sign of waiting staff, i decide I will return the spinach when it arrives. Thank heaven I didn't have to! As I finish the last forkful of lamb, along comes staff three. "Is everything ok?" she asks. The meal was fine but I ordered some spinach. "I'll get it immediately," she says, then spying the empty plate lets out a genuine gasp. "I am so sorry. I am guessing you don't want that now?" she says. I indicate she is correct and she apologises and says that she will remove it from our bill.

Oh! The food! My lamb, as I said, was very nice but I am happy to do well done. If you want medium and definitely not well done, it was a one hundred percent send back. The bass was nice with a lovely seafood accompaniment.

Staff one is back to clear after too long with empty plates. How was that? I say it was very nice but the lamb was well done, not medium. She replies, "Oh. I will tell chef." Well that's good. At least she realises its feedback.
Wine glasses empty, I top them up.

She returns a short while later. "I spoke to chef." she announces. "He said the lamb was medium. He only does well done lamb if someone asks for it." I disagree and tell her to return to "chef" and tell him as the person eating the lamb, I think I know if it is medium or not. My girlfriend tells me to leave it.

Staff one leaves us with a dessert menu and disappears.
Back comes staff three to take our dessert order. My girlfriend asks what one of the desserts was. Staff one tells us they are very proud of their dessert menu. Its new and was released yesterday. All the staff tried them and she told us her favorites. We go with her top two.

Staff two delivers the desserts and manages to do so in silence.

Staff one returns to clear the plates. She checks the wine for the first time. We've finished the meal. She takes the bottle. There's no offer of further drinks.

We sit for a while, catch her eye and get the bill. Service is not included and we reward staff three separately. The meal was good, if small and costly for what it was but service was abysmal.
We eat out very often. We booth cook alot too. I recognise good service and I am more than able to recognise the extent to which a piece of meat is cooked
I don't see us going back and its not on my recommend list.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Haifa, Israel
“Slow but Great kitchen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Been here for dinner with the wife and two kids.
All dishes were great, pasta, risotto and pizza for the kids. The carpaccio was not that good.
The dishes came slowly yet the service was very good.