“Afternoon tea” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Heights

The Heights
Saint Georges Hotel | 14 Langham Place, London W1B 2QS, England (Oxford Street / Fitzrovia)
+44 020 7580 0111
Neighborhood: Oxford Street / Fitzrovia
Essex, UK
“Afternoon tea”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My friend managed to get us a voucher for Christmas afternoon tea here. The venue itself was quite easy to get too, not far from Oxford Street. On arrival we took the lift to the top and went in. The service was friendly, though it was not very clear where to go when you get there, we went to the bar, hoping that would be correct and it was. We had a lovey seat by the window and the view was absolutely fantastic.
The afternoon tea arrived and was average. It all came on one plate, and although nice I would have been dissapointed if I'd paid full price for it.
The venue itself was nice and clean and there were plenty of staff on hand to help with anything.
Overall although this was a nice place to go, but I will not be rushing back, the best bit about it is the views.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Cowes, Isle of Wight, UK
“High but not so mighty”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We had a quick drink in here before supper. I was expecting it to be a bit more swanky, as it looked rather tired and like a Little Chef inside.

Good views and worth a visit, if only to escape the hustle and bustle of the West End.

Visited November 2013
Lauren S, Manager at The Heights, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear eclipsemullet,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we love the views just as much as you do especially on a clear evening. A major revamp will begin next year, the plans for which are very exciting. For the meantime we are currently giving the venue a fresher feel. Please do visit again too see the new look and the new view!!
Rome, Italy
“high in the sky fantastic views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

we stayed at the hotel so were lucky to have these views at our disposal i did not dislike anything the staff are so nice and friendly

Visited June 2013
Lauren S, Manager at The Heights, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear dowjow,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely review, we love the views just as much as you do. I will happily pass on your comments to the team, they have been working very hard. A major revamp will begin next year, the plans for which are very exciting. Please do visit again too see the new look and the new view!!
Helsinki, Finland
“Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Good tasting breakfast but the selection could be wider... For example, the "full breakfast" did not include toast at all.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Rude staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My wife and I recently visited The Heights restaurant while we were out in London doing an evening shop. She had another meeting to go to, but we thought it would be a pleasant spot to stop. The views were fantastic.

She was in the loo when I grabbed a table and began by ordering a cappuccino. While I waited for my order the server asked me what I had ordered. I thought one cappuccino was simple enough of an order.

By the time my wife came to sit at the table I was served my cappuccino and the server (a different one from the first) asked my wife what she wanted. She said she did not want anything and the server jumped in by stating, 'You have to order something if you are sitting here.' I guess this did not include my cappuccino and was done on a per person basis. She explained she was leaving shortly (which was true) and the server looked at his watch before moving off.

I could not believe how rude he was! The place was not entirely busy for a weekday night and there were plenty of free tables available.

My wife left and I drank my cappuccino as I reviewed work emails on my phone. Within a few minutes a server dropped the receipt for my cappuccino on the table without enquiring whether there was anything else I wanted. I guess it was assumed that if you order a coffee you must not want a dinner. I could not believe how poor of an experience this was making. Surely a good restaurant would welcome service from respectable customers.

So instead of ordering any food as I was disenchanted with being prompted to hurry and finish, I checked the bill and read £3.50 for the cappuccino and an optional £0.44 service charge! Really? A service charge for a forgotten order, rude behaviour to my wife and the desire to see me quickly exit once my drink was finished. I was not impressed!

I quickly left £3.50 in change and left.

I felt this was such a shame as I had heard and read positive reports about this place. Customer service should be paramount in its importance. Customers should feel welcomed, not pressured to leave.

Bitterly disappointed! I was sure to tell my friends and work colleagues to avoid The Heights in future.

• Visited November 2012