“Fantastic quirky restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Archipelago

Archipelago
53 Cleveland St | Fitzrovia, London W1T 4JJ, England (Fitzrovia)
+44 20 7383 3346
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Archipelago is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #646 of 17,039 Restaurants in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: International, Fusion, Eclectic
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fitzrovia
Description: If Archipelago were a film it would definitely be one of the Indiana Jones series. First, the menu features all manner of exotic beasties - locusts, gnu, crocodile and second the decor is an exotic mix of golden buddhas, dwarf palms and giant peacock feathers. The staff will talk you through each dish, but there's also chicken, fish, lamb and extensive vegetarian options. It's a great night out for the more adventurous - or if you happen to be having Ray Meers to stay.
“Fantastic quirky restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

The staff were friendly and accommodating, the food was fantastic and the cocktails are to die for, and not expensive for the area! Definitely will be going back and highly recommended. I would suggest zebra to start, Bison for main and the Pharos desert - the chocolate fondu and curry ice cream is amazing!!!

Matlock, England, United Kingdom
“Interesting experience, but a gimmick”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Visiting Archipelago was an experience. The main draw was the promise of exotic items on the menu like crickets, zebra, kangaroo and baby bumble bees. On that front, it didn't disappoint.

The décor in the restaurant was exotic and helped add to the experience. The way the menus were presented rolled up in a chest and the hotchpotch of unusual glassware on the table were nice touches.

As we were in a large group, we ordered a wide range of starters to sample the menu. I had pork belly, which was very tasty and a large portion for a starter. We all tried the crickets which nobody seemed to like except me.

My main course was less good. I had alpaca, which I was really looking forward to trying. Unfortunately, the meat was so heavily spiced that it was impossible to taste it. It may as well have been lamb or something else, because any flavour the meat had was completely overpowered.

The service was good (but not excellent) up until the point where we wanted dessert. It seemed to take forever for them to come take our order. It took so long, we decided to skip dessert as we had a train to catch, which is a shame as I was looking forward to trying the baby bee ice cream.

Overall, I wouldn't say this was a terrible restaurant, but it is relying very heavily on the gimmick of the unusual menu. The prices seem high for the quality of food and service on offer, but again I guess this is down to the gimmick of unusual ingredients on the menu.

I'd thoroughly recommend it as an experience, but I won't be going back myself in a hurry.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Best Exotic night out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

The restaurant is very small, very cute and full off travel souvenirs. All glasses on the table are different and full of colours. The menu is fantastic with crocodile, zebra, Kangaroo and my favourite the insects salad.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Exotic, different, Tasty....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

What an experience!!! Absolutely love this place!

The decor, the service, the cocktail menu and the food menu, everything perfect! Love the little details i.e. The menus and the presentation!

I never thought I would say this... but .. The Zebra is absolutely delicious! It sounds so wrong but it tastes so right!!!! And the same go for the Kangaroo!!! GORGEOUS! We also ordered some coconut rice which was close to perfection!

The only downside... (which was my own fault) was the dessert! I ordered the frozen berries which were a bit too sour for my taste... but I wanted to try something different.. so it was good for the experience.

Good service! I felt quite important sitting on my 'throne'!

Definitely going back and take all my friends who visit me in London!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Favourite restaurant needs revitalising”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I always take people here if I want to impress them. Unfortunately, since their move, the place has started to feel tired. There used to be a level of fun and inventiveness, and a menu that was flexible enough to cater for the ultra-adventurous as well as the super-cautious - and to do vegetarian versions of several of their meals. Now the vegetarian choices are few and uninspiring. It's still a welcome surprise for the first time you go, but the management needs to address some problems. One of us ordered a chicken dish, only to be told it would take 25 minutes, so we all ended up having risotto because it was just easier. We already got a late start because they went to the address on the website, which hadn't been corrected. Having to settle for something is not what used to happen here.

• Visited October 2013