“On top form” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Latium Restaurant

Latium Restaurant
21 Berners Street, Fitzrovia, London W1T 3LP, England (Oxford Street / Fitzrovia)
+44 (0)20 7323 9123
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Latium Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #483 of 17,940 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Oxford Street / Fitzrovia
Cross street: Goodge Street
Transit: Oxford Circus
Description: With a kitchen full of seasonal ingredients straight from the chef's home town near Rome, Latium is wholeheartedly committed to the gutsy flavours of its robust Italian cuisine. This unobtrusively stylish restaurant, just a short walk from Oxford Street, has a smart, intimate ambience that together with the critically acclaimed menu has won it plenty of fans since opening in 2003.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“On top form”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I've been to this restaurant over 100 times - so yes, I do like it...My most recent visit was especially enjoyable.

I remember with special delight a veal ossobuco with saffron risotto, the like of which it would be hard to find in MIlan itself (must say, of all the good things chef Morelli does, a few years ago I wouldn't have counted risotto among his best specialities: now this too seems to have changed for the better!). And a smoked swordfish with 'puntarelle': with such simple dishes the quality of ingredients and the balance in seasoning are everything, and on both fronts it was a triumph.

For me, still the best Italian in London (together, but in a VERY different price category, with Apsleys), with a clear edge even on starred, or ex-starred, competitors like Zafferano and Locatelli, not only for cuisine but also for service. I wonder, when will Michelin wake up? (they've made a start by demoting Zafferano....).

Visited December 2012

Oxted, United Kingdom
“Classy Italian - Ravioli Specialists”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Upmarket Italian restaurants abound in central London & I thought Latium, just North of Oxford Street would be another pack you in, charge you too much for OK pasta emporium. Nothing could be further from the truth. My friend & I dined there last night & i had to rush to tell you all about the Ravioli. Speciality of the house. In all shapes and sizes with every sort of stuffing. I had the veal with an unforgetable sauce & Liz had four types of fish as a starter.....perfection....and she is hard to please believe me. A lovely Maitre D & relaxed service. We'll be back.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Chef's table - attentive and tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I booked for five of us to eat at the Chef's table as a bit of a punt, not sure what we would get. We were treated to a separate dining space (akin to a railway carriage in terms of space and with windows looking out over the kitchen and restaurant), where the head chef would appear at the start of each of the six courses to explain to us what he had created for us. No need to consulte a menu. The experience is something like eating in an Italian's house (who is excellent at cooking and doesn't want to eat himself). I'm not normally a dessert person but I'd single out the dessert as the best course. From what I saw of the main restaurant, the service was of a high level and the ambience was classy without being OTT.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Fine Italian dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

A lovely restaurant with wonderful food. Excellent value menu but rather pricey wine and drinks list. Highly recommended and will certainly visit again.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Just acceptable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Well presented food but nothing exceptional. I have not singled out any dish that stood out. The food was not bad but simply nothing out of the ordinary. One can do much better in London. I won't go again