“Lovely restaurant-well worth a visit” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Clapham, London, UK
“Lovely restaurant-well worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I came here yesterday for lunch for the second time-the first, admittedly was about 15 years ago. I've always wanted to return and, as we were in the neighbourhood, decided to try it again. It's in a lovely narrow side road just before Hampstead tube station. The interior is very smart and there's an upstairs with a grand piano! I was going to have the daily set menu which I think was £16.50 for 2 courses (a selection of 2 dishes per course, all of which sounded appetising) but I decided to have the lobster soup with crab ravioli followed by the sea bass. There were lots of specials the waiter told us about but these were from the a la carte menu. The nice thing about the menu is that you can order a small or a large portion so for small eaters (not me) this seems like a great idea. The soup was delicious and so was my sea bass which was stuffed with fresh rosemary and a huge clove of garlic. We ordered a large portion of spinach-a small portion for 2 is large enough, by the way-and a dish of sauted potatoes. My companion had the table d'hote menu and had the minestrone (which was just as it should be, including small pieces of pasta) followed by the salmon in a lemon and caper sauce. The portion of salmon was large, and apparently was delicious too. Service was excellent. The manager/maitre d' came over and I asked him how long he had been there. He is from Lake Maggiore (a favourite holiday destination of mine) and he told us how long he had been there and the history of the restaurant. Very friendly and informative. We had no room for dessert so had coffees, along with some very nice biscuits. I need to tell you as well about the wonderful bread basket they serve-there must have been about 6-7 different types of bread/breadstick-really something. I would highly recommend this restaurant and will definitely be returning-hopefully sooner than another 15 years ;-). It is ideal for a special occasion. The bill came to £83 less service (which is added on), including the wine and water. Incidentally, the house white was more than palatable and at £14.00 was not expensive.

• Visited April 2013

Los Angeles
“Great Service & Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants in North London. Loris, Alex, and Mario are always ready to do as much as they can to make our visit pleasant and memorable. We have taken many guests here and have never been disappointed. Loris makes pasta dishes at the table, so you get great food and a show. One of the highlights is the zabaione! Again Loris makes this simple but scrumptious dish table side so the custard arrives warm and delicious. Have it with fresh berries.

• Visited March 2013
“Attitude problem”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Dined at the restaurant at lunch time and the food was lovely you can't deny the sheer quality of food however the attitude of the staff was just awful. I felt treated like a criminal when the waiter took my order it was as if he didn't want me to dine. We ordered drinks and he clearly was in a bad mood for personal reasons for which we bared the brunt. I advise to stay clear of the horrible little host who you'll know because he's the shortest person in the restaurant. What a horrible little man.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Good place for a spot of elegant dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is a smart, relaxing restaurant - an excellent place to talk business. Can be expensive, but the lunchtime set menu is good value. We both had the pasta in soup to start. I went for the salmon next (superbly cooked and presented), while my companion asked if he could have steak as part of the set deal (this was agreed providing the size of the steak was a bit smaller than the a la carte version).

• Visited December 2012
London, United Kingdom
“A local gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

A ‘local’ Italian in Hampstead that actually feels Italian, though more upscale than a traditional taverna.

A variety of dishes are available, though the veal in particular is good, but whatever you order coupled with the enthusiastic Italian staff, you’ll enjoy your meal.

Visited June 2012