“Horrendous - what a huge con” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Dans Le Noir

Dans Le Noir
30-31 Clerkenwell Green, London EC1R 0DU, England (Islington / Clerkenwell)
+44 (0)20 7253 1100
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2,437 of 18,011 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: International
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Islington / Clerkenwell
Description: Located in trendy Clerkenwell, the novel concept behind Dans le Noir is to re-think the notion of taste by serving your food in complete pitch darkness. The eclectic menu is designed to maximise such heightened sensory awareness; instead of listed dishes, there are surprise menus with omissions to suit different tastes (such as vegetarian). Blind staff serve and guide diners in the main restaurant, with a lit bar and lounge for ordering and pre- or post-dinner cocktails.
London, United Kingdom
“Horrendous - what a huge con”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Feel completely and utterly conned and disgusted by this restaurant. We knew that we wouldn't know what we were eating but to serve something as controversial as Zebra and shark with no prior warning is deceptive. I wasn't even aware that it was legal to serve this and would never have agreed had I known. To then spend the evening being ill after meant that it was also a complete waste of money as the food was also very over priced. A terrible experience and a huge con.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“So much fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

After reading so many reviews I just wasn't sure what to think... There was everything from horrible to amazing! And I absolutely loved it! Some people say it's just a pathetic try to save money on decor- haha maybe, but the idea of eating in complete darkness is great and it's an experience like no other- so who cares about decor! Food was amazing and something I wouldn't probably try if I could see it before but I am so happy I did. So again... at the end of the day I could be served anything looking whatever like but I liked it! Service was great, extremely nice and very helpful.
Prices- not the lowest but more then acceptable for good meal and great fun in London.

Overall- very happy!!! I would definitely recommend 'Dans Le Noir' and probably will go again myself in the future.

• Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“great laugh. something unique to do with friends or with a partner.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

It really is pitch black! We were given our chosen menu, but of course we dont know what we were eating. This all added to the mystery, and enhanced the smell, texture and taste of the food, which was all haute cuisine.
We quickly gave up on knives and forks and were eating with our hands within minutes.The blackness also meant that a lot of pranks were going on throughout the evening, shoulder tapping, water flicking, footsie, it was a lot of fun. I lost both my shoes before the end of the night. At £50 a head, we found it expensive, but still definitely worth a try.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lincolnshire
“Fantastic Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

What an amazing experience this was!
Having been taken to the restaurant 6 years ago - I felt I needed to revisit and share the experience with my partner again!
Guided and served by blind people in complete pitch black may not sound like some people's idea of a good night out but believe me it is a truly awesome experience!
A lovely little quaint bar welcomes you where there is a great choice of drinks even if a little expensive!
You then lock all your valuables and things which may illuminate into a locker and chose from a variety of menu's catered for all requirements.
As a very fussy eater I was a little aprehensive of chosing from a "surprise" menu so on my first visit opted for the vegetarian - as you only get a category rather than knowing the exact dishes you are eating, I went safe as I do not eat sea food of red meat generally.
On my second visit I was brave and chose from the surprise menu!
On both of my visits I have not been disappointed and thouroughly enjoyed allowing my hightened senses to tell me if I liked the food, rather than letting my eyes dislike the sight!

Would highly recommend the restaurant to anybody looking for something different to try and in comparison to other london restaurants I do not think it is over priced at approx £40.00 per head for 2 courses or £50.00 for 3 courses

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great fun with friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have visited 'Dans Le Noir' recently and I would say that is the best experience ever! Great fun with friends! You wouldn't expect that darkness !

Food was good, I higly recommend suprise menu - it will definetely suprise you ;)

Drinks are quite expensive, a shot of vodka around £8