“Great food, not great service!” 3 of 5 stars

(020)-7794-6674
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cage Imaginaire, La is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,804 of 17,879 Restaurants in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
London
“Great food, not great service!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I came here 3 nights ago for a birthday meal with my boyfriend which he had booked as a surprise. It is a cute, romantic restaurant and the staff were friendly.

We both had scallops for starter and they were very nice. For mains I chose fillet of beef and my boyfriend chose rabbit. Unfortunately when my food arrived there was a hair sitting on top of it. I sent it back straight away and they returned with another plate less than 5 mins later, so I'm guessing they didn't cook it again in that short time.. I ate it anyway and the food was delicious despite the hair situation... my boyfriend also loved his rabbit meal!

I was dissappointed when the bill came as they didn't take any money off my main, didn't offer anything on the house and didn't even take off the included service charge!! As it was a birthday dinner, my boyfriend didn't want to make a scene at the time and complain, but to be honest, good customer service should mean they do that without having to be told!

It was a shame about the service but it hasn't put me off going back to the restaurant, I would go again as I really enjoyed the food and it isn't too expensive, just would expect better service in a restaurant!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Good ambience, value and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Nice little french style restaurant in a corner of Hampstead (right at the end of Flask Walk). We went for a sunday lunch recently. The service and atmosphere were very good, staff were very helpful. The menu is slightly experimental and a little hit and miss, more hit than miss to be fair - e.g. the mains were excellent but the apple ravioli a little too sweet. Extra marks for doing menu choices which are different to the run-of-the-mill chain restaurants tho. Good value for lunch, recommended.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
“Romantic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Fine and romantic. These are the most relevant qualities found here. The food was delicious and the service brilliant. We suggest to try this taste of France in London

• 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“French Cooking in 'Homely' Setting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This restaurant is set in a terraced house and the dining area is in a converted lounge - the kitchen/preparing area still looks very homely - which you either like or dislike.

We were quite a large party - and that doesn't suit this place at all. We had all placed our meal order upfront but the waiter/maitre d' insisted on repeating every person's order and writing in down on what appeared to be a table plan - this took a good 15 minutes which seemed unnecessary as they could have just brought out the food and asked who had ordered the scallops, the prawns etc.

The starters arrived - the scallops were ... nice ... but not roasted enough so they had no colour whatsoever which was a shame. All plates looked very much like homemade food and not restaurant food.

The sea bass dish for main came with roast sweet potatoes and some mange touts but everything was very dry - when we asked if there was a sauce for the sea bass dish (which about 8 of us had ordered) - the answer was 'no the sea bass comes as that' - no servicemindedness here! Maybe the waiter could have asked if we would LIKE a sauce and maybe they could have offered a butter/herb sauce or SOMETHING. It was very dry to eat so a couple of us poured olive oil on ...

The puddings were also ... nice... nothing really stood out and again, all plates looked like you were at your friend's house for dinner.

Honestly, I can't really and wholeheartedly recommend this place as it was just ... average ... and the service wasn't serviceminded at all. If this was because we were a large group - then they shouldn't have accepted such a big group in the first place.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Leeds
“Excellent Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Shared the experience of Sunday Lunch with my wife and 2 friends the other week.
Very pleased with the food, the service and the presentation.
Good Value Table D 'hote Sunday Lunch and highly recommended.
Would definitely go again.

• Visited June 2013