“Nice food, awful service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ayoush

Ayoush
58 James Street, London W1U 1HG, England (Marylebone)
+44 20 7935 9839
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ayoush is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,465 of 17,940 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: African, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Moroccan
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Neighborhood: Marylebone
Description: Recently refurbished into a stylish, elegant and vibrant venue over two floors with downstairs "caves" perfect for groups. Serving modern North African food from a changing menu, Ayoush is situated in Mayfair, just minutes from bustling Oxford Street. The outside street terrace is very popular to take lunch, mint tea or shisha during the day. Belly dancers perform Friday and Saturday evenings for diners to enjoy or even join in! The menu features favourites such as tagines, couscous, kebabs, salads, fresh fish and grilled meatsand the venue is well known for its Mezze menu. A full bar menu, wine and coffee menu with signature cocktails
London, United Kingdom
“Nice food, awful service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Firstly, we did not expect that our request to move to a table downstairs would cause difficulties to the personnel. The waitresses are barely speaking english and did not understand almost anything of what we were talking to order the food. We had to wait like 40 min to have a dinner.

I am very disappointed.

We did not paid the announced service fee, of course. As a result we did not received a simple "Good bye".

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
AyoushTeam, Owner at Ayoush, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review. Your feedback is important to us. I want to ascertain the day you visited so that we can trace back why a table downstairs was not available.

There are several improvements that have been made over the last few weeks and I would be happy to invite you to come again so that you can judge for yourself.

Please email me on info@ayoush.com

Many thanks and sorry that the experience did not meet your expectations

• Arabic first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Amazing Moroccan cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

One of the best restaurants in London. Great food (my tagine was delicious) with a very high quality/price ratio, the atmosphere is suggestive and service was attentive. Will go back for sure.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Horrible service, good food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The dishes my friend and I had were definitely good. They were fairly authentically made. It's a shame though that their service was so terrible as I would have loved to go back and try some of their other dishes. The waiting staff was very slow and got our order wrong twice. My meal came out 20 minutes before my friend's did and even then we got no apology. They also served us a shisha which we couldn't smoke because it started to pour rain and they had no umbrella to provide us so we had to move indoors yet they refused to remove the £20 shisha cost from our bill.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
AyoushTeam, Owner at Ayoush, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Hi, I'm sorry your experience was less than satisfactory.

Service in particular has been a main focus of ours and I would like to invite you to tell me if you see any improvements and make amends.

Please contact me on info@ayoush.com
London, United Kingdom
“Definitely the best Calamari in London with many other attractions!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Just sitting here at the corner of James St and Wigmore St.
I had to spend sometime writing about Ayoush's fantastic Calamari.
To begin with, its end of summer, beginning of August, last hopes for a warm night but here at Ayoush you have nothing to worry about! You can be outside (they provide blankets and heaters) to smoke your shisha, which is provided by the most friendly person I ever been served, Mumbarah (I'm sure thats not the wight spelling but if you mention this name you will find the right guy. Anyway, the best of the night is still to come! I've ordered the most amazing Calamari. OMG I've never had such amazing crispy Calamari!
But hold on a second, just got surprised by these two amazing Africans playing drums and juggling things up! Definitely a must place to go in London.. Now let me enjoy the rest of the evening! Enjoy guys!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Genuinely Impressive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I just love the areas around St. Christopher's place and its hustle and bustle. We (me and my friends) had been meaning to visit this place for quite a while as we saw the restaurant was quite full even during the weekdays. So we finally decided to take our chance and gave this place a try and might I say, we were in for a pleasant surprise.
For a Wednesday evening, the restaurant was almost full and had to wait a while to get seated. We got one of those comfy couches around the corner with an excellent view of the street. The restaurant was very well decorated and the colour combination was very soothing to the eye. As we were told by our dashing waiter, this place had just undergone a refurbishment and the decor was pretty much brand new. I had to stop for a couple of minutes just to enjoy the decorations around!
The drinks menu was vast (too vast for our liking) but the food menu was surprisingly small, but still the waiter had good knowledge of the food and drinks. We were recommended chef selection to start (as its my first time with North African cuisine) and tangines for our mains. The food was lovely and the presentation was amazing as well! If we thought the starter impressed us, we were blown away by the tangines. Although I had no idea what I was ordering, the waiter convinced us to go for the lamb tangines which I don't regret. However, the rice we got with it was a bit disappointing. It wasn't warm enough and tasted a bit weird. That perhaps was the only blemish.
The service was quite decent as well. We were sat down by a waitress who seemed very shy and unconvincing, but we were glad to receive this flamboyant waiter in black suit and white tees (unlike others in full black) who was very friendly, confident as well as patient. Although there were a few changes throughout the night, we were mainly served by him which was a grand treat. Even when the place was full, the waiter and occasional waitress were attentive to us and didn't even let us pour our wine.
I usually am not a big fan of reviews, but the waiter mentioned that I could find them on trip advisor and Facebook and I felt like expressing myself. I will definitely visit again and will no doubt recommend it to my friends who have never tried Moroccan cuisine before.

• Visited July 2013