“Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...what a letdown!” 1 of 5 stars

39-41 Parkgate Road | Battersea, London SW11 4NP, England
+44 (0)20 7924 3999
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Butcher and Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6,453 of 17,998 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Bus: Cadogan Pier
Hertford, United Kingdom
“Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...what a letdown!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I ate at Butcher and Grill (Battersea) with work colleagues for a Christmas get-together. A few of them had been raving about how good the steaks are in this place, so as a meat lover I was looking forward to it...what a letdown it turned out to be!

After the recommendations I of course had a steak for my main (rib eye)...but was hugely disappointed. The meat just wasn't that special and was in fact rather sinewy...and pretty poorly cooked.

This was bad....but my starter had been worse. I had the mussels, far too many of which were still closed and those of which were fully open just didn't taste right. Needless to say I didn't eat all of them...but the next day I was sick as a dog and given that I'd been the only person to have the mussels, I'm totally convinced they were the cause.

Top all this off with slow service from offish staff and you have a recipe here for a DIRE restaurant. Just avoid this place like the plague, there are way better restaurants in London!

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Superb food. Slow and rude service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

It's amazing how much the service can add, or sadly in this case, take away form an evening out. It took half an hour before we got our order in, and then when we asked for a scotch egg from the counter to start (where it says eat in or take out) the manager made it exceptionally clear he was displeased. Not sure why it was such an issue but his manner was very rude. He then said are joking when another of our party asked for one. It left the rest of the evening sour and us feeling awkward, ruining an otherwise delicious dinner. No doubt the food is excellent, service disappointing.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bucks
“Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Recommended by eldest daughter who had an evening meal here recently. We went early-ish Saturday lunchtime. A delightful ensemble of butcher, m'marker' and restaurant towards the back. Found a table overlooking Ransome's dock. Charming. Food was good, judging by English Breakfast and Bacon sarni. Good value 'specially considering location.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“BEST EVER Sausage and Mash”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Our first visit to Butcher and Grill, totally unplanned and spur of the moment having come to the park to cycle and rollerblade (the children anyway) and visit the zoo for the afternoon.

Hunger struck and we took a short stroll to find a place to eat and came across Butcher and Grill. We'd bought a bicycle lock but left the key in the car, but the manager was very welcoming, allowing us to bring my child's bike into the restaurant with no problem what so ever.

The menu looked good, specializing (unsurprisingly) in meat dishes but offering fish and vegetarian alternatives.

My 3 sausages and mash was the best I have ever eaten, superb meaty sausages and thick, rich red wine gravy, I'm still full some 8 hours later! My wife's twice baked cheese soufflés were "ok, very tasty". The children's menu had the usual favorites, burger and chips, chicken goujons (proper chicken fillets) and chips etc. The burger came slightly blackened (chargrilled?) and the goujons came with garden peas despite asking that it not, but neither point was a major issue.

Very noticeable was the super quality of the children's desserts included in the set price....wonderfully nutty chocolate fudge brownie with a good quality vanilla ice-cream and a fruit salad beyond compare to those usually included in children's set menus. Fresh strawberries, raspberries, banana, grapes etc. and judging by the banana's freshness this was obviously sliced at time of order not pre-prep'd. The portions were adult sizes.

The ambiance was good, the decor and setting interesting, and service attentive and friendly.

We thought prices were reasonable for the quality and quantity of food and friendly service received. Bread basket, two children’s meals including desserts, two adult mains, a pint of lager and large glass of white wine, and two soft drinks with service came to £55.

I've attached two photos of the menu so you can judge the pricing for yourself.

I did note the two tiered section with the deli at the front of the premises and the slighyl more formal raised restaurant area at the rear, where we sat, but didn't connect that the pricing structure might be different as another reviewer has suggested. The ambiance was the same in both areas so we might be tempted to try the (possibly cheaper) deli next time. My wife did suggest we should consider inviting friends to lunch there in the near future.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Local to us and reliable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Butcher & Grill has had its ups and downs in our opinion: when it first opened (2005) the chef seemed to be top-notch and it was one of those (rare) London places where simple, excellent food meant more to them than fanciness - and price. It then went through a period of being somewhat of a rip-off with lower quality (than before) cooking and higher prices. Now, from roughly mid-2011 onwards, I would say it's a dependable, high quality experience again. The meat - also available to purchase from the butcher's counter at the shop at the front - is absolutely first class and among the best, most tender steak I have ever tasted. You can test this for yourself by buying some and cooking at home if you're local as we are. However, it comes at a price. The restaurant has its own farms and my small piece of fillet steak that I occasionally treat myself to costs around £12 to buy at the butcher's counter. However, I recommend B&G when you want a reliable treat and you are willing to pay a little more. The sit-in menu is still good value now in my opinion, especially as all the side orders are optional and separate, so you can tailor-make your own meal (and price) by having just the items you want. The desserts here are very good again and I feel that the current chef/management have now reached the right balance.

• Visited September 2012