“still as good after 26 years” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wong Kei

Wong Kei
41-43 Wardour St., London W1D 6PY, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )
(020)-7437-8408
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5,815 of 18,011 Restaurants in London
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Neighborhood: Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park
Atlanta, GA
“still as good after 26 years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I used to eat at Wong Kei a lot when at UCL and was delighted to find it still in business this year after a 26 year absence from me.

Don't be put off by appearances (my husband: "it's a caff!"). Head upstairs to the main restaurant floors, join the many other diners - sometimes sharing a table - and enjoy. Great tasting food, fabulous value. Bathrooms are not the best, but they are not the reason you're there.

Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
“An enigma, great and poor at the same time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Wong Keis hasn't changed much in the 20 years since my first visit. The food has always been good; the decor has always been shabby. It was a running joke that the waiters were a bit grumpy - they may have been, but more recently I have always found them helpful and prompt. After the service improvements, I think they should work hard on improving the ambience - the stairwell is particularly unattractive. With a bit of effort the place could tick all the boxes,

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“Cheap & Reliable (mostly)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

The best Chinese cafe in London. My wife won't eat here, she complains of the MSG, I guess she orders badly! My kids love it too, so I'm never short of a companion, although there's a section at the front for single diners. Great for vegetarians and meat eaters alike. If you spend more than £5 you're a fool. Try the mixed meats on rice, my fave is duck & BBQ pork on rice with gravy/sauce. Pile the chilli oil on and eat with the never ending tea that comes standard as you sit down. Loads of people complain about it, I even had food poisoning once, but I still come back for more. The best value in town. It's a cafe, don't knock it...

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
East Yorkshire, UK.
“Downstair downstair.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

A trip to London for me wouldn't be complete without a meal in Wonkeys.

Famously surly waiters (who are no longer as surly as they once were) bark orders of where to sit which could be on one of many floors. Basement and ground floor very canteen like, upper floors a little better laid out. Be prepared to be seated on large tables with others - comes as a bit of a shock to first timers.

Tea arrives as you are seated - want more then leave the lid of the pot open. Orders usually taken very quickly with the obvious aim of a quick turnover of customers. Some real eye opening things on the menu but i'm a wuss and always go for the stuff that I know and have never been disappointed in the food or the prices.

I'm not brave enough to venture to the toilets...

Although I do use chopsticks you can now ask for a knife and fork without the risk of it being thrown at you. But don't be tempted to use the chopsticks as drumsticks. Unless you want to be invited to eat in McDonalds instead.

Oh and it's cash only. But you knew that already...

Michelin star dining it is not. Quirky, cheap, quick and filling it is.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
UK
“stay clear of the toilets!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

we took friends here who have never been here before. we used to eat here about once a month when we lived in london but things have changed. it's still a warts and all 'canteen' with surly waiters and a cash only attitude. what shocked me was the state of the toilets.....DISGUSTING!!!! Luckily I ate before 'using' the facilities otherwise I would have left without eating. The toilets were in a state that would close any other restaurant down but this being a london institution I think westminster council lets them get away with it!

Hot water-NONE
hand towels - NONE
flushing toilet - NONE
used toilet paper - LOADS! PILED UP BEHIND THE CISTERN TO A HEIGHT OF 2-3 FEET IN BOTH TOILETS!
aroma - STOMACH TURNING AND A WORK OUT FOR YOUR GAG REFLEX!

The food was as I remember, good portions and nicely priced but this will never make me go back!

Email to environmental health sent in when I returned home - awaiting reply

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere