“Not a patch on the original” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Veeraswamy

Veeraswamy
99 Regents Street | 99 Regent Street, London W1B 4RS, England (Mayfair)
+44 (0) 20 7734 1401
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Veeraswamy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #835 of 17,879 Restaurants in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Veeraswamy, UK's oldest Indian restaurant in Piccadilly, has been the rendezvous of the famous and fashionable as well as lots of ordinary lovers of Indian food since its inception in 1926. The luxurious, chic, and exotic décor evokes Maharaja's palaces of the 1920s. A menu of classical dishes from throughout India is combined with more contemporary creations. National Geographic, the highly respected travel magazine, has ranked it as one of the 10 Best Destination Restaurants in the World. No other UK restaurant is in this top 10 list.
Dublin, Ireland
“Not a patch on the original”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

As London's oldest Indian restaurant you would expect this place to be steeped in atmosphere - which it definitely was prior to its modernisation some years ago. Then you ask why we came if we knew this and would only be left rather disappointed and sad reminiscing of the old days ? Search me - suppose we were looking to try to somehow salvage something of those days here. Although the food is fine we yearn for what once was.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good food, but somewhat of a disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I've been wanting to go to Veeraswamy for a long time. My parents frequented this institution during WW2 and other family have been on numerous occasions and everyone always had a marvellous time. On this working trip for me in London, I wanted to treat my husband who is a devotee of Indian food (I am not). I asked the concierge at our 5 star hotel to make reservations because otherwise they were booked solid, or so they said. Upon arriving, two women greeted us with an indifferent air, almost undressing us as we alighted from the lift. (We were overdressed compared to today's standards: I had on a black Chanel jacket, my husband a navy blue blazer with grey slacks.) The "ladies" promptly sat us at a table in no man's land. We asked to be moved which created a few rolling eyes from the same women, the restaurant at 7:30 was virtually empty & it would've been nice to sit overlooking Regent's Street but the tables were apparently reserved so they moved us to the next table over, still outside the main area (I could add more but don't want to bore readers). As a journalist, I wanted to pull rank but didn't want to create a stir for my husband's sake. The waiters and Maitre D's are top notch and gave excellent advice but the eastern European women at the desk need a dressing down. The meal was good but not over the top brilliant Indian, we've had better and the price for dinner £140 (with 2 glasses of wine) was expected but still exorbitant. For starters we shared the giant prawns which were good and scallops followed by two curry mains shrimp and Hyderabad Lamb Biryani both were very good and naan (also very good). The sugarless chocolate sorbet was excellent, my husband had the sorbet mix. It had been pouring rain all night and when we asked for them to call us a taxi, we were told the doorman downstairs would help us. Not! Doorman basically told us to get our own. My husband enjoyed his meal as I did but the jury's still out whether we'll be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful food, but with a price tag!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We went here looking for top drawer Indian food in London and were not disappointed. The food is delicious, and has distinctive Indian flavours. The serving sizes are generous and the service is excellent. The only downside is the price, which puts it out of contention for a non-special occasion. They do a Sunday three-course lunch for 25 a head though, which may be worth a try. On the whole, if you are fond of Indian food and don't mind being slightly out of pocket, is certainly a must-visit.

Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“brilliant place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Veeraswarmy was recommended to me by a friend, I will thank him next time I see him. The interior is charming, the staff are friendly, attentive but not obtrusive. The food is wonderful.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ickenham
“Fantastic food and service but very expensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Fantastic food, service and setting. Knowledgable staff who advised what on the menu was suitable for someone with dairy intolerance. But it comes at a fairly hefty price, even for central London. But. Would do it again.

Pineapple curry side is a must.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere