“The food here is excellent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tsunami

Tsunami
5-7 Voltaire Road | Clapham, London SW4 6DQ, England (Clapham / Battersea )
+44 (0)20 7978 1610
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Tsunami is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,208 of 16,892 restaurants in London
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Clapham / Battersea
Transit: The closest tube is Clapham North and the closest British rail station is Clapham High Street which is directly opposite our restaurant.
London, United Kingdom
“The food here is excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Excellent sushi, but the price is high and the service is hit/miss - to justify the price of the food the service has to be first class, not just the food.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

78% Recommend
“Really good Japanease”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I have been here quite a few times and have to say its my favourite Japanese restaurant out of all the ones I've tried in South West London. Its a little pricey so only go on special occasions but the food is amazing!I have also been to a sushi making class here and that was really good.

Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“It's hard to say whether the food or drink is better at Tsunami...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

It's hard to say whether the food or drink is better at Tsunami. I've now been to Tsunami at least 10 times over the past few years. I cant recommend it enough (especially against the local competition on Clapham High Street).

The clapham restaurant is much better than the sister restaurant in charlotte street (i think) - the atmosphere is much better although the food is the same.

The atmosphere is better when dark outside due to the lighting but it doesn't matter if you have an earlier table.

You have a number of different choices when dining here. I've had just a main and side before but I prefer two other options: Sushi/Sashimi is very good here but the best is sharing lots of starters and mains (wallet warning: it can get $$$ in here but only becasue you're tempted to order too much food.

Drinks - solid wine list but i'd lean towards there unusual cocktails. About £7.50 each (they do a rum version of an old fashioned that will not your socks off!!), the girls (and my mate Carl) tell me the lychee cocktail is really good.

Food highlights (I haven't found a dish that I dont like here but I quite an omnivore):
Miso Black Cod (my favourite)
Teriyaki Rib Eye
Tempura is good here
Sizzling hot rock beef

Dont miss Gataffi (think i'm spelling that wrong) prawns
Flaming scallops (looks impressive on a date)

Booking pretty much essential but a few days notice will do. Sometimes you can ring up on the day. Try getting a booth 4-6 people, although other tables are fine. I've seen a few people there for just drinks too.

Travelling - easy; 1 min from Clapham North/ pretty much opposite Clapham High Street Overground. Parking probably ok nearby in the evening.

$$$ - you can spend £60 for two with a bottle of house/ more likely to spend $100 though/ we went crazy the other day and spent £300 between 4 people with two/three rounds of champage and cocktails with lots of starters and expensive mains and 3 deserts.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“What a restaurant!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Amazing restaurant... we went just tonight and I am extremely impressed.. An amazing cosy restaurant with delicious food.. I have booked a table with top table and when we arrived at 7pm, it was just few people around.. by 8pm, the restaurant was full! We were not sure what to order but decided on teriyaki chicken, snow crab shu mai, shojin tempura selection, spicy tuna sushi and suzuki... wow.. what a food.. great taste, lovely presentation.. very attentive service.. and what a selection of drinks!! My absolute favourite drink in the world from this eve... the first on their cocktails list.. with passion fruit and chili... loved it!!! Also, a dessert out of this world.. i tried dark chocolate fondant with whiskey ice cream.. mmmm... :)
We paid around 80£ for everything 12.5% service included.. and i don't regret a penny.. definitely will go back.. wide menu, and everything sound out of this world.. and i want to try all of it!! Absolutely recommended!
oh.. they are open till 2am on Fridays and Sat.. Take away available as i heard..

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Fantastic Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I went here with my husband for his birthday - we've been meaning to go for a while but could never get a table as its so popular! However, this time we booked ahead and went on a weeknight, so no problems there. We were shown straight to our table when we arrived, and everyone who worked there was lovely, and helpful with suggestions about what to order and how much of it you'd need.
The cocktails were excellent, we had Japanese style margaritas called Akuma, (I think) and they were fab. We ordered a selection of mainly sushi from the menu, and it was all really tasty and arrived quickly. The highlight was the definitely the unagi and fois gras nigiri - it was truly divine. I'll think we'll be talking about it for a while to come!
They bought out a pudding with a 'firework' in it for my husband and sang happy birthday to him. I'm not normally a fan of that, but it was so friendly in there that it was actually quite nice!
All in all, we're very glad we finally went there, and will definitely be back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere