“Average food.” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
fashionflyer1
“Average food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

We had an ok time at Paddyfields. I'd been looking forward to it for a while but I found the food a bit average and overpriced for what it was. The restaurant was busy and as soon as they cleared out plated try we're trying to get us to leave even though we hadn't finished our dinks.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

London
“Amazing food but let down by price and service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

I booked a table here with 2 friends on a Saturday evening. We loved the concept of bring your own but you definitely make up the cost as the food is expensive- I would say £2-3 more per dish than it should be. Saying that the food was absolutely yummy! I recommend the fresh spring rolls rather than the usual deep fried abc the tiger prawn stir fry in chilli and garlic.

Pretty much as soon as the main meal was taken away the waiter came over with the bill and told us we had to leave as they needed the table! We had been there just over an hour, not asked if we wanted dessert and we still had wine left which we had to therefore carry home with no lid/cork! Then 15% service charge was added which is ridiculous. Had we not been thrown own, we would have left 10% but I don't believe 15% should be left anywhere unless service is exceptional- which this was not!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Used to be great.. but think they have suffered from their popularity”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Used to go here quiet regularly as the service was good and appreciated the quirkyness of the assistance in choosing a meal and 'free' dishes. Especially like the BYO offering!

However, on recent visit only plus remaining was the BYO. Place was rammed and the staff were under pressure. Including / especially the kitchen who were trying to cater for a full house and also large number of takeaway orders. Don't know the size of the kitchen but they must have been hectic.

Food took ages (nearly an hour for a stir fry?) and arrived cold. We were asked to move tables halfway through our meal to accomodate new arrivals (to share with another couple) which does kind of fit with the atmosphere and would have been cool if everything else was spot on... but considering other issues was a bit much to ask.

Night was rescued as we shared table with a lovely pair of sisters and enjoyed some good conversation... but think I'll give it some time before giving it another go.

Visited March 2012
London
“great food and friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Tried this restaurant for the 1st time tonight. We got in at 7.30 p.m and got a talble for 2. The place filled up quite quickly.
The waiting staff was efficient and friendly and the food was brilliant.
Not cheap but you get what you pay for, the portions were generous and the dishes were very tasty.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
london
“FOUR ENTHUSIASTIC THUMBS UP. (We only have four between us)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

The first time I have felt moved to leave a review.

I am a pretty relaxed restaurant goer; a mixture of inexperience and open mindedness often leaves me in a state of panic when I got to a restaurant for the first time. But I felt immediately comfortable in the Paddyfield.

The unpretentious decor, cramped tables, laminated red menus and Christmas themed playlist (even though it's April) make one feel immediately relaxed. Wham's Last Christmas immediately sent my girlfriend and I into a dizzy Christmassy boozey banter daze - we felt happy and festive and up for the evening.

Without the need to even contemplate the fusion of Thai and Vietnamese dishes that make up the menu - our kind and keen waiter (presumably hanging ten on the peak wave he had created with his Christmas playlist) asked us if we like surprises... doesn't everyone? we gave him a hell yes and an amen brother. He tore up the menu rule book right before our eyes. He crossed our orders off his little order book and sprang into the kitchen shouting 'SURPRISE THEM'.

We clung tightly to each other as he flung various dishes our way (all the things we actually ordered ended up with Bob and Babs who were cramped up next to us) a chicken thing, a beef thing, a curry thing, noodles, green chili's, red chili's, chili's in a sauce, it was like a culinary fireworks display.

I was shocked at the level of the 'surprise' - I thought a surprise might be a prawn cracker, or indeed with the playlist, an out of season Christmas cracker. But the Thai/Vietnamese taster menu that ensued was inconceivable and wondrously enjoyable. The authenticity of said food, by the way, would only be in doubt if you're an unwashed backpacker straight off the plane from Bangkok.

I highly reccomend a jolly at the Paddyfield - give it a go! Compared to some other higher charging establishments not too far away on Bedford Hill this place is a bargain.

Not reccomended for the following;

a) People who don't like human contact with other people (you will be cramped and have to have close proximity contact with others)

b) People who will only eat what they order and will not go along with 'surprises'.

c) People with no sense of humour - it is essential, anyone who takes themselves seriously will not fit in with the randomness of the staffs ordering procedures.

d) People who don't like listening to Christmas music when it is not Christmas.

e)People with specific food requirements. I could imagine if you said you were a vegetarian or a peanut allergy kind of guy- the jokers in the kitchen would accidentally slip in some meat or a little peanut to 'surprise' you. (Nothing sinister; they just love spontaneous menu changes).

• Visited April 2012