“One of a Kind Meal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ledbury

The Ledbury
127 Ledbury Rd, London W11 2AQ, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )
+44 (0)20 7792 9090, 0871 4263844
Website
Update restaurant details
Reserve with toptable
Update
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 16,489 restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Neighborhood: Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate
Norman, Oklahoma
“One of a Kind Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Ledbury ranks among the Top 50 Restaurants in the World, and rightfully so. One of the best parts is just the atmosphere. Yes, it is incredibly pompous, and, well, when in Rome! It was so much fun acting as snobby as the table of bankers(?) CEOs(?) a few tables over, ordering bottle after bottle of wine, tasting and squinting at bottles, and ultimately sending a few back just for good measure. Don't fight it - stick that nose in the air! Just relish the fact that you got a table in a Michelin starred restaurant and are about to savor a delectable meal with someone whose company you (hopefully) enjoy.

This place is so upper crust that they gave us each a glass of champagne while we waited all of 4 minutes to be seated. THAT is the kind of place the Ledbury is.

Maybe it was just me, but I never felt rushed. I never felt like I was less important than the table buying bottle after bottle of expensive wine. I never felt like my waiter, his assistant, the sommelier, or the GM, who came over to ask how our meal was, were cold or distant or unaccommodating.

But, then again, I'm just a small-town girl in the big city... I like to hold on and enjoy the ride no matter what.

The Food:

Seasonal: On the menu when I visited, were things like Escargot (fantastic! - buttery, delicious, just melted in your mouth), Venison (my husband cleaned his plate), and Rabbit (I cleaned my plate). So be prepared to find new listings and if the waiter says that one particular dish is really good this season - go for it!

Use The Sommelier: If you like wine, but only know to put reds with red meat and white with everything else, then you might want to ask to speak with the Sommelier (pronounced SAHM lee ay). Sommeliers love imparting knowledge it took them years to acquire. We especially enjoyed the Ledbury sommelier as we were getting game meats for entrees and didn't know what to pair with them.

Take Your Time: Do not plan for anything after your meal. Do not plow through this on your way to the next tourist stop. I'm not saying get every course, but I am saying that it's not an Applebee's. This is GREAT food. Whether you do get every course, or just a dessert. Whether you find the scallops a little chewy or your fois gras a little bland, this is not your average mish-mash of spices and creams and butters. Flavors like this (both good and bad) do not come around in your average work week. And if they do, I hope you realize how lucky you are.

Order Different: Yes, they have steaks and chicken dishes. And, no doubt, they are prepared FABULOUSLY, but try to step out of your safety zone at the Ledbury. I say this, because you are safe to do it here - nothing is SO far out there that you will regret it. The safety zone at the Ledbury is still very safe. I would not say "step out of your safety zone" about a street vendor in Bangkok whose offerings may or may not include fried insects. My husband is a notoriously picky eater, but at the Ledbury, he let me tell him what to order. He couldn't pronounce some of it, hadn't heard of half of it, and never tried any of it. Loved every bit of it.

The Down Side:
Yes, it is expensive. All the courses, the wines, the desserts, the tips. Yes. You will leave this meal with a good chunk out of your wallet. Could you eat here every day? No. Could you eat here once, with your husband, for a special dinner on your first ever trip to London? You bet.

The Ledbury is an excellent restaurant and I would highly recommend it for an extra special evening.

• Visited August 2012

• Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Minority Vote!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I never leave reviews on this site, but felt compelled to offer some balance after reading a swathe of excellent reviews before our visit last week. We booked a table for 6.30pm last Thursday 27th June and were running late and so rang to apologize, we arrived 20 minutes late for our table. I spent a minute or so paying the cab whilst my wife went inside to check in. When I entered I followed after her and the waiter to the table where I was totally blanked by the waiter and so seated myself. After we deciphered his hurried list of champagnes, a split second later he bolted off to get the drinks. Still no hello. The whole vibe was rushed from the outset, which didn't put either of us at ease, and continued through the evening. Whether that was because we arrived late or whether the table was rebooked again later, I'm unsure, and don't really care either.
The dining room is beautiful, clean and bright and there were plenty of well presented staff, the female sommelier deserves particular mention, as she offered good advice in a soft-sell sort of way.
Our 'friendly' Northern waiter however, did nothing to recommend himself to anyone.
As for our food there were real flashes of elegance and flavour on the tasting menu, with a nugget of beautifully cooked Cornish turbot stealing the show, but alas was gone in two forkfuls. A warm buffalo milk curd with onion broth was as interesting as it sounds, although the truffle toast accompaniment was good. But for the most part the food left us cold and wondering what the rave reviews were about. After an unusual dried squid ink amuse bouche,we had a bland and one paced ice-cold scallop ceviche, which was followed by a well cooked but simply boring mackeral and cucumber dish. Anticipation grew as we were shown a plate of beautiful roast guanciale, which although looked too big for the two of us to eat ,but by the time it was divided up in the kitchen, would have fed the five thousand. Desserts were good and at this stage of the meal, we needed the calories.
I dont want to sound nasty about the place, but the food was just ok, and I should know, I've eaten around ! I want merely to offer an alternative view to that of the many happy customers who obviously have gone before us. Although we drank some very nice wines, our bill for two was a shade over £528, which we felt was far too high a price to pay to be underwhelmed.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Good service so a great place to go”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Good comfy and great beds good bathrooms epic Awesome great food 10 out of 10 great things to do 1 great place and it is a great perfect good

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Melbourne
“Understatement with a touch of wow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Went here on a school night. Clientele very upper-crusty. Waiters very formal in their politeness. Scallops for enter were good but not great -just a touch over cooked, but great flavour and freshness. The freshly baked bread was great, but the subsequent two offerings of fresh bread were unfortunately reflective of the fact that the portions of the main course were tiny. This would have been ok if it was a seven course tasting menu, but as a main course, it was simply too small. That said, the beef itself was fabulous and perfectly cooked. The desert, a chocolate ganache styled log, served with a fluro green celeriac sauce, made it all worthwhile. I guess the flip side of eating small portions is that it makes the desert all the more enjoyable.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Private Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I was invited by my friend for her birthday, she hired the private room, there was a set menu. The food was excellent, perfect selection of wine. This is a place for special occasions or if you feel like spending some money on good food and something a little more formal this would be the place. If you are into quality food as I am then this would be right up your street.

• Visited February 2013