“Looks great, taste and service unusual. Not great.” 3 of 5 stars

020 8675 7604
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Tagine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,389 of 17,250 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: African, Moroccan
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“Looks great, taste and service unusual. Not great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Been recommend by a couple of friends, so maybe we picked a bad night. Service at first was random but ok. Excellent shared starter, humous and what tasted like home made pitta bread. Main meal awful. Dry cous cous and over microwaved 5 mini meatballs. When asked how the meal was I explained I begrudged paying £10 for such small poor quality food. They the tried to insist that it was freshly made to order, which they later admitted was a mistake. They replaced it with a reasonable chicken kebab dish and my partners Aubergine tagine was passable. It is frustrating when you can make something of far better quality at home. At best average and I think I'm being kind.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

UK
“Good food, service a bit lacking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I definitely recommend the Chicken Lala Fatima Tagine which had lots of chicken (enough for me to share some with my boyfriend) and was very tasty. I would just warn that the olives still contained their stones so eat carefully! My boyfriend had the couscous and when he ordered he asked if it was a big portion and was told it was, so we didn't order a starter. He was a bit disappointed as the portion size was average at best. The fruit mocktails were very nice, as were the desserts.

The service wasn't bad, but it wasn't really existent either. It took a while to bring the menu (we had to ask for it), they never came to check on how our food was as we ate (all depends whether you like them to do that or prefer to be left to eat in peace!) and in general they just weren't very attentive. Having said that they were friendly enough when bringing our food and not rude, so if food is more important than the service then you should be fine! The restaurant had a nice authentic atmosphere as well which I liked.

The only thing that bothered me and I didn't really think about it till afterwards was that they put a 12.5% service charge on the bill. I don't mind when a service charge is included, but only when a good service is actually provided in return and for 12.5% I want excellent service. If I was able to choose the amount I thought was a reasonable tip I would have said about 7%

The total cost of the meal for 2 mains, 2 desserts, 3 soft drinks and a coffee was £50 (including service). It was very nice but felt a bit steep for what it was, although the Tagine was so delicious I would consider going again.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Great food, strange service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Its bring your own alcohol which keeps costs down. Walk into very authentic looking dark restaurant full of character. Relaxing music playing throughout. We had the set menu and it was huge and delicious. Several starters may leave you full but wait for the main course as it is full of flavour and well cooked. Really can't speak highly enough of the food. The trouble was the weird service and it seemed they were hoping to move us alongas soon as possible which made things kind of uncomfortable towards the end of the meal. Still, it was an excellent meal.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lincolnshire
“Great night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Whilst visiting family in Balham we went here one evening for a meal. Restaurant was packed but we had booked so didn't have to wait. Staff who greeted us were very pleasant and helpful. The restaurant doesn't serve alcohol but you can take your own (Sainsbury's across the road) and they are quite happy about this. The food was lovely - meze of starters - lamb or chicken tagines plus other dishes on menu if these are not to your liking. It was a lovely evening with good food and we would definitely go again. Try the Mint tea - really nice.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I went here with a group of friends for a birthday dinner and the first thing to note is that the tables and chairs are very low. The food was average and we waited a long time between courses, although the restaurant was busy that night which could be the reason. The staff were also a bit abrupt but overall it was still a good night.

• Visited March 2013