“Frozen Fish” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4,387 of 17,938 Restaurants in London
London, United Kingdom
“Frozen Fish”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I have been taking clients to this restaurant for many years during my career in the City. Went there last week for a meeting and was so disappointed, the crab, scallops and fish were all frozen to the point I could not eat the main course. Whilst my guest had a pudding I asked for a mint tea, thought this would at least make up for the tasteless fish, I was informed by the grumpy waiter that they didn't serve tea or coffee!! I noticed he soon put a smile on his face when he wanted a tip on the bill................Needless to say I will not be returning to this restaurant!

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Plainview, New York
“Great fish, but I was delegated to a crummmy waitress”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

The place is quaint. They placed me in an area where the stool placed a very lost waitress. She messed up my order for haddock. I wanted it broiled, but got it boiled. The fish was really fresh and tasty, but not what I ordered. The crab cakes were too loaded with spices and not enough crab. I was disappointed, but would like to return for another try.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Excellent fish!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Enoyed a late birthday lunch at this quaint and delightfully dated restaurant. The maitre d' was very charming and once the rest of the staff got serving us they were lovely and efficient too. (Stood around with glum/tired faces until they had to get cracking!) We enjoyed some fantastic crab and scallops then a dover sole which was perfectly cooked. No room for the puddings which, although I am sure were lovely, were all traditional stodgy type of dishes and we just had no room for them. Would be nice to see a couple of lighter options on the menu. All in all a very good experience.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Basel, Switzerland
“Great for Lunch - Closed in the evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

You cannot make a reservation which is a pity but if you have time you can wait with a cold beer and get served as soon as a table becomes available. Great for seafood and fish&chips.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hayfield, United Kingdom
“Lunchtime Dining at Its Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Sweetings is my favourite place to eat when I'm in London - the excellent food is classic British and the little traditions and fantastic staff make it worth taking the afternoon off to enjoy it properly. Cyril (MD) is great, Alan the Dry Scot too (just fantastic!) and so is Leigh on the front counter. Can't wait for next visit on March 6th!

Visited January 2014