“Superb value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stockpot - CLOSED

Stockpot
18 Old Compton St, London, England (Soho)
(020)-7287-1066
Neighborhood: Soho
Nottinghamshire, UK
“Superb value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The Stockpot offers excellent value for money in a district that's well-known for ripping off tourists. As such, it's a haven for students and budget-conscious locals, as well as international visitors who want some authentic local grub.

I've been going to the Stockpot for twenty years and it's always been the same. Essentially it provides school dinner-type food (in a good way!) at a very nice price.

On this visit, I had the cooked breakfast, which included coffee and toast for just £4.95. Many cafes around the country would charge much more for a lot less, so it's great to get this kind of value in the heart of London.

Of course, one could gripe - the sausage wasn't the best I've ever tasted. But overall, this place strikes a very fair balance between quality and price.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Very cheap, quick, tasty "home comfort" food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Sure, Stockpot may look a little like a run down cafe from the outside, but step inside and marvel at the speed of service and the delicious, cheap dishes. You will not get any fancy cutlery or glassware here, but what you will get is great food at a fantastic price. Menu often changes daily, but it's all good. I had the chicken diavola. The sauce was incredible and the chicken beautifully cooked. The mashed potato was heavenly and sure, the vegetables looked pretty sad, but they tasted really good. My friend had the lamb cutlets which she said were also delicious. She then had apple crumble and ice cream and I had the rice pudding (see what I mean, proper British, winter warmer, comfort food stuff). She enjoyed hers and whilst there was too much liquid with my rice pudding, it was still really tasty. Only downside was that as soon as we had finished our meal the waitress got another couple to stand right by our table telling them "these will be leaving soon". It was pretty rude to say we were only just paying the bill, and made us leave when we were actually going to order another round of drinks. Still, this is not a place to linger in. It's a bit like fast food but with proper dinners.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London England
“An institution!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

A successful group of down to earth eateries providing reliable, good portions of comfort food favourites and more at great affordable prices...you won't go hungry!! They have been around for years, very popular offering fast efficient service, and food that would cost you more to prepare from scratch at home!..I rarely cook at home so I couldn't do without them!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
uk
“Cheap, good value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

On a wet saturday morning we popped in for a cheap fry up. Thats exactly what we got, cheap items cooked well, filled our bellies and off we went. More staff and family present when we were there so the atmosphere was happy and welcoming. Would probably try this place again for lunch or dinner when on a tight budget.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
London, UK
“Stockpot Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Not only do they open until late, the food was scrumptious! The service was excellent, the resto is cozy and relaxed. The staff members were attentive, with good wine selection.

I had a nice grilled salmon with salad and new potatoes, it was so divine! I promise myself to go there again and again!

Apart from their central location (not difficult to find at all!), it's just a lovely play place to hang out to enjoy freshly made dinner! Would invite some friends to join me next time!

• 4 of 5 stars Food