“Wonderful balance of flavors and complexities” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Red Fort

The Red Fort
77 Dean Street | Soho, London W1D 3SH, England (Soho)
+44 20 7437 2525
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Red Fort is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,476 of 17,052 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: The original modern Indian restaurant, Dean Street's The Red Fort, has been flying the flag for flock-free, uber-contemporary Asian restaurants for more than 30 years. Having undergone a complete refurbishment The Red Fort remains at the forefront of cutting edge restaurant design with its sleek lines and block colour, designer lighting and modern artworks. A sparkling atmosphere means that The Red Fort appeals to a sophisticated crowd far beyond your post-pub curry seekers, with romantic dinner a deuxs taking place alongside business meetings. Much like the design, The Red Fort's menu takes Indian dining to a higher, more refined level with excellent ingredients used in creating wonderfully decadent dishes, delicately spiced and carefully flavoured. ..
Los Angeles, California
“Wonderful balance of flavors and complexities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant was recommended by The Langham Hotel Concierge people in London. I am so thankful. As most people know London is full of Indian restaurants. Many are good. This is great.
Prem the General Manager was really nice as I arranged with him immediately to be able get a real menu to take home for my collection. He graciously said of course.
I started with the soft shell crab. I have loved soft shell crab in many different restaurants all over the world. This two piece order is the best I have had anywhere. The batter was very lite, crispy and beautifully spiced with Indian spices in perfect harmony with the crab.
Next I had the Murgh Gilaafl which turns out to be roasted chicken skewers, enhanced with paprika, onion and coriander. It was amazing!! If I lived in London I could make a meal of these two dishes repeated over and over, at the same meal. They were spectacular!!
I wanted to try as many dishes as possible.
Next I had the Hyderabdi Bhuna Gosht- Lamb with ginger, black pepper, coriander seed and red chilli. This chef has an amazing understanding of the blend of spices and flavors. The lamb was cooked to perfection. It had grissel, which when cooked perfectly is tender and wonderful. I know some people do not like even the idea of grissel. I LOVE it. This was perfect.
Gain Luigi from Italy, the Wine steward was very knowledgeable and really nice. Perfect service of the bottle of wine we had. It was a Spanish Tempranillo. Wonderful fruit and complexity was right on with the spiciness of the food.
The Okra dish was actually a little too spicy even for me and I love spice. The taste of it was otherwise really good.
I wish I could have tried the Chef's Selection tasting menu. Unfortunately I was the only one of four at the table that could eat most of the dishes.
I enjoyed the Funky Pie for desert, bread crumb cup filled with vanilla ice cream topped with hazelnuts and toffee sauce. I asked and got extra toffee sauce. Great way to finish off the evening dinner. I am definitely going here every time we come to London.
If you live in London you are very lucky, cause you can go often. If you visit London should definitely be your first place to eat.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Excellent Indian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Really enjoyed some of the best Indian food I can remember. All vegetarian as is my preference these days. Great food in Soho.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
New Delhi, India
“Excellent Indian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Go for their tasting menu.....its really good, Being an Indian I can tell you that the preparations were really good and decor/service was excellent as well. A place to go when you are in Soho, London

San Francisco, California
“Very good but expensive Indian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We were told that the Red Fort had authentic and very well prepared Indian food and we agree in the assessment. It is a lovely restaurant - quite dramatic but simple in its decor. We asked to be moved to a quieter section - away from a large group - and were granted that request. The meal was delicious but also quite expensive - the most expensive meal we have had in London! When the server offered us some nan, we hadn't realized that four pieces would cost 6 pounds! (And it wasn't great nan!) So be advised - that is what the menu means when it says "assorted breads".

london
“not a tasting menu”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I decided to treat myself to the tasting menu, at £54 certainly the top end for an indian meal. It was presented as 8 courses on the menu, it all sounded delicious so i was excited.
However,the 1st four courses came at once, no more than 5mins after i had ordered, i had not had my drink served yet. Then as soon as i had finished the starter, the next 4 courses came together.
As i sat there i realised that i was eating a 2 course meal and not a tasting menu at all.
it was all over in 40 mins and felt rushed. The reason i don't give this a lower score is because i had to admit, the food was very good!!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere