“Oldest North Indian Restaurant in London” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Punjab

Punjab
80 Neal Street, Covent Garden, London WC2H 9PA, England (Covent Garden)
020 7836 9787
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Columbus, Ohio
“Oldest North Indian Restaurant in London”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Walk from Convent Garden Tube Station. Very popular, and good food. Try the eggplant dish and the chicken tikka, we found them excellent, also a good selection of Nan.Some interesting lamb dishes. Service was prompt, and we found the price for the whole meal was quite reasonable. Do make reservations first.and they will give you quick seating.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Our experience was not as good as others”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We dropped in after the theater. It was not busy, the service was prompt. We had papadum (something we order pretty frequently) to start but the relishes were awful and the red sauce was revolting. I had butter chicken which I liked but was a bit oily the sauce had separated and then ther was butter on top of that and my wife had chicken tikka which she also found oily. The garlic naan was good. Based on this we would probably not go back, though the many positive reviews make me wonder if the cook was having an off night. There are a lot of choices in Indian food in London so we would venture elsewhere.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Stavanger, Norway
“Authentic taste of India”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

In London for business and went here solo on a Monday, made a reservation on the phone which was a good decision as it was pretty packed.

The food was great, I had traditionally prepared tandoori chicken wings (juicy and tasteful, but not a good side sauce) and masala lamb chops (not commonly served in Indian restaurants, this dish was great). Tandoori roti and salted lassi were also top notch.

Service was average. Tried to get some recommendations from the menu without any luck, I know Indian food extremely well but like to make a conversation to understand the proclaimed highlights of each restaurant, struggled to get a response here, did however find the lovely lamb chops after digging into the menu myself.

The bill came to just below 30 £ incl. service.I would recommend this place for a tasty, authentic taste of India.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were in London for the weekend and enjoyed a matinee performance at Les Mis. We decided we would like an Indian meal and having looked at various options decided to visit The Punjab on Neal Street. I emailed a reservation request for 8pm around 3 weeks before we travelled and had a reply from them within ten minutes confirming the reservation. We arrived at 8pm prompt and immediately noticed how busy the restaurant was which was a good sign. There were some people waiting for tables to become available whom presumably hadn't booked, however as soon as I gave our name we were shown our table straight away, which impressed me. The staff were friendly, courteous and knowledgeable . We both ordered starters and main course from a not overly expansive menu but were both extremely delighted with our choices. My wife's chicken tikka was amongst the best she's ever had, it was so tender and flavoursome. My chicken madras was hot as I like it and again the chicken was lovely. The rice and naan were tasty too. We enjoyed a nice Pinot noir with the meal chosen from an excellent wine list. When we asked for water it came very promptly. The bill we thought was extremely reasonable for such a busy, west end restaurant at £55 inc a service charge for starters, main course and a bottle of wine. All in all an excellent experience and we will definitely revisit when we take the kids next time.

Visited October 2013
Boston, MA
“Delicious Indian Food in a Cozy Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My husband and I were looking forward to having lots of Indian food options while in London. We found Punjab and ending up eating here twice since we enjoyed it so much our first night in the city. The naan is great and so are the veggie meals - I ordered malai kofta and paneer makhani. My husband loved his chicken tikka and chicken korma dishes. The location is easy to find and the cozy interior of the restaurant was welcoming - as was the service.

We will be back on our next visit to London!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere